Wheel balancing in the service manual

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Wheel balancing in the service manual

Post by raito »

I just got my hands on a PCX service manual yesterday :D There is nothing about wheel balancing in the service manual. I only found words on checking the trueness of the wheels. My dealer says they won't balance my wheel if I replace my tyres with them. Other places say they normally don't do it for scooters but can do it if I so insist. Some for free, some for an additional fee.

Almost all the tools and parts I ordered have arrived to allow me to replace my tyres myself properly. My balancing stand is still on its way, but I got wheel weights probably enough for balancing wheels of 2 dozen bikes. Anyway, the dimensions of the weights seem to fit ok with both front and rear wheels of my PCX. My gold wheels definitely look better without any silver weights on them tho.

My question:
Is wheel balancing instruction present in any other two-wheelers' service manual?
ImageImageImage
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Wheel balancing in the service manual

Post by fish »

No.....
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Do you think you need to??
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

fish wrote:No.....
Fish
I would expect a sportbike service manual to contain advice about wheel balancing. Not detailed instruction on how but a statement that it should be done.
easyrider wrote:Do you think you need to??
Yea, most probably no need for PCX, but I wanted to..
Jge64 wrote:Much easier to do this:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Tire-Beads-Mot ... ance+beads
Somehow I prefer wheel weights. Also not sure if I can get those or similar where I am.
ImageImageImage
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Does it need to be done?

I’ve never balanced a scooter wheel ever and I don’t balance the rear on motorbikes.

What I do do is make sure the marked lightest part of the tyre is adjacent to the valve.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The only thing about the tire beads is that the next guy who changes the tire is going to have to deal with them spilling all over the place if they aren't careful. They do work though. . ..

Here's a vid if you choose to use tire beads. You'll just have to cut a hole in the tire when you go to replace it to catch the beads more easily.

I used to change my own motorcycle tires the "old fashion" way but got tired of that quick and have since just brought the tires/tubes (if needed) and/or wheels to motorcycle dealers and pay for them to do the replacement. More recently though I've just been ordering the tires through the dealership and when they come in they notify me and I pull the wheel(s) off the bike and bring them in. Quite often they are able to do the mounting while I wait if they aren't busy. Some dealerships will only replace tires if you buy them there because they don't want to be responsible for mounting low quality or improper or used tires.

Here's a vid on balancing tires.

and another one.