flashing headlight

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

flashing headlight

Post by flyingzonker »

I pull up to an intersection today and across the street sits a cruiser with the headlight blinking. I couldn't help thinking: "Now that's a good idea!"

Why do all turn signals blink? So they will catch the eye.

So why not do the same with your headlight--at least for daylight riding?

So now I have a new project.

(Even though I liked this guy's blinking headlight, I can't give him an A for astuteness--after all, he was riding bareheaded! In my class he still gets an F!)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: flashing headlight

Post by GeorgeSK »

Is it legal? I thought only police/emergency could have flashing headlights.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

GeorgeSK wrote:Is it legal? I thought only police/emergency could have flashing headlights.
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some regulation floating around out there in some states that might throw a wrench in your spokes if you tried this. I live in Illinois--we are already over regulated so...I will check and get back when I find something out.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Headlamp modulators are legal most places in the US. Check your state regulations. Here in PA they are legal for low beam only.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

So, in Illinois, I find, it is illegal. Which doesn't mean that you can't install the controller and turn it on when you come to an intersection--after having checked for the presence of cops. You might turn your flasher on when visibility is limited and you'd rather run the risk of a ticket than run the risk of getting smashed down by a car or truck.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Modulating headlights always catch my eye on the road.
As far as being legal in your State, you can check here for all Your State's Laws: (one stop shopping :D
http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/ ... s-Database
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Here is just the thing for what I am thinking about--as long as I can add a switch to turn it on and off at will (think motorcycle or scooter when he says F150

[youtube][/youtube]
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

The following is an Amazon customer review of a product, SDC Signal Dynamics Headlight Module with Dual H4 Harness, that makes some good points:
Andrew Wascoe on July 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
I installed a Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator recently before embarking on a 2 week tour from NC to Acadia National Park. I installed the Signal Dynamics Back Off Tail light modulator at the same time.

The only beef I have with the product is the installation directions. Despite what the directions claim, polarity does matter when plugging the unit in. I had the main fuse blow & took a few minutes to figure out them problem.

But once I was on the road, I highly recommend both modulators, especially the headlight.

On secondary, intersection-laden roads, people stop & wait in instances where they previously would have turned in front of me. People really notice the flashing headlight, and, after all, conspicuity is the key to keeping vital life functions operating smoothly for the long term.

On the interstate, I believe a lot of drivers see the flashing headlight and think, "wait...is that a motorcycle cop?" & move over to the right lane when they see me behind them. Again, its nice to be noticed.

I truely regret not installing on of these on my bike years ago.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

A flashing headlight like shown in the YT vid would annoy me rather than make me pay attention for the right reasons. Flashing at that rate may trigger someone to have an epileptic fit.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

flyingzonker wrote:Here is just the thing for what I am thinking about--as long as I can add a switch to turn it on and off at will (think motorcycle or scooter when he says F150
I think this is different than a modulating light, and may break local/regional laws if it is not an emergency vehicle.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

A lot of things will come to my mind if I see a flashing headlight from another vehicle. (emergency, SOS, morse code, etc)
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I would think it would annoy other motorists and draw attention from cops - even if legal it's not the norm and may draw un-welcome attention.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

If you spot an inattentive driver,
you can (legally) flash your high beams to get their attention.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

I would not install a modulator UNLESS I had a switch that I could turn it on and off with. I would especially want to use it at intersecteions when I am about to make a left turn or am about to ride across the path of a car preparing to turn left.

I would not have it flashing all the time. But I would have it on when traffic conditions started to get next to me.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

I just checked my reflection (on the car in front of me) today...

On the 2017s,
flashing your high beam IS the closest you can get to modulating your headlight,
because the high beam is a central, separate light.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I would propose an industry standard temperature color rather than any oscillating headlamp. Separate our limited forward illumination in a crowd of headlights at night. The best way for the mind to alert and notice a biker is color and watts IMO. I wish there were restrictions on auto's to 3500k and all motorbikes would come standard with 6500k

This would clearly do the job, unfortunately we don't have the lobby or power to make such laws. I don't want cars using the blue lights even when I'm in one... but i always notice them.
Attachments
color-temperature.jpg
color-temperature.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 2914 times