Mirrors hitting windshield

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

kjmillig
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Mirrors hitting windshield

Post by kjmillig »

:x
I just installed a new medium height (they call it "tall") National Cycle windshield on my 2013 PCX 150. Easy installation.
But when I turn the bars my stock mirrors hit the windshield and I can't turn left far enough to lock the steering.
Very frustrated. I will try moving the mirror stems back a little to see if that works.
Anyone had this issue?
Help, please.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Mirrors hitting windshield

Post by homie »

I have an perfect set of Magazi tulip mirrors if you want to make an offer. You might not want them because your bike is red and the mirrors are white but someone else might. I think the Magazi sport mirrors would solve your issue and look much better.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

On our tall GIVI windshields we bought the mirror extending kit, which moved the mirrors out about an inch or so. This solved the problem. Others have gotten by with just moving the mirror stems. If you think you might need the kit, look up GIVI 323t kit.
http://www.compacc.com/p/givi-replaceme ... elds-honda
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:On our tall GIVI windshields we bought the mirror extending kit, which moved the mirrors out about an inch or so. This solved the problem. Others have gotten by with just moving the mirror stems. If you think you might need the kit, look up GIVI 323t kit.
Mel knows what he is talking about here. Hey Mel do you still have them boots? How about I send you my original set of IRC's for them fancy riding boots... maybe I can fit my big foot in a 10.5 if they run a little bigger 8) that's an offer you can't refuse.
kjmillig

Post by kjmillig »

Mel46 wrote:On our tall GIVI windshields we bought the mirror extending kit, which moved the mirrors out about an inch or so. This solved the problem. Others have gotten by with just moving the mirror stems. If you think you might need the kit, look up GIVI 323t kit.
I didn't find a mirror extension kit on that site or Google.
I don't know how extending the mirrors outward would help. When I turn the bar to within a couple of inches of maximum, the mirror hits the outer edge of the windshield.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

On mine, I loosened the mirror stalks at their bases and turned the bars all the way to each side, just rotating the mirror stalks just off the screen and re-tightening. You may also get more adjustable clearance by loosening the hand grip mounts and/or rotating the bars, themselves slightly aft. I had no trouble fitting everything together satisfactorily.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmm...Have you rotated/repositioned your handlebars at all? Away from the screen (towards you, when seated).
Last fall I moved my bars forward (away from me), I then found that I had to reposition the mirrors and brake levers. All simple to do it just takes time getting it just right for you. Be aware of the various cables while adjusting parts. No biggie, they were not bothered while I did mine. Just be mindful of them.
If your mirrors still hit your med Givi screen then you'll need another plan. I know full swing bars and locking with "other screens" can be a problem. Been there done that too.
Sooo, Perhaps the mirror extenders mentioned will be the answer. :P

Someone else have experience with mirror extenders? Would you mind sharing a link(s) for them?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hmm...Have you rotated/repositioned your handlebars at all? Away from the screen (towards you, when seated).
Last fall I moved my bars forward (away from me), I then found that I had to reposition the mirrors and brake levers. All simple to do it just takes time getting it just right for you. Be aware of the various cables while adjusting parts. No biggie, they were not bothered while I did mine. Just be mindful of them.
Tis true, and I did this with you. So in theory he maybe could pull the bars down a little and recover the clearance needed as well? :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

At the web link that I provided, there are 2 pull down menus. On the first one, look for PCX 125 10-12/150 13 (that means it is for both the 125 and the 150 up to 2013). On the second pull down menu go to the very bottom. For $12.99 you will see the 323 kit. That is the kit you will need. The kit bolts into the hole where the mirror presently connects into the handlebar. It is simply a steel bar about two to 3 inches in length, which will move the mirror base further out. Here is a picture of the bar. (It also comes with the lock nuts needed to attach it and the mirror.)
20160403_105645_resized.jpg
20160403_105645_resized.jpg (421.97 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Homie, thanks for the offer but I took my IRC tires off and we ride with City Grips now. (...and the boots are 10. Your feet are too big if they are 10.5. Sorry. They really are beautiful boots. They have lug soles too.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

kjmillig

Post by kjmillig »

I finally found the extenders.
So I went out to try moving the bars back and discovered that the bolts are hex pin bolts and a regular 6mm hex wrench won't go in the hole correctly.
So I have to go spend more money on tools I will use very rarely. :(
And have mirrors hitting the windshield in the meantime.
kjmillig

Post by kjmillig »

I don't know if I'm seeing things or not. In different light and at different angles, the hex bolts for the handlebars look different.
Are they, or are they not hex pin/pin hex bolts?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I don`t quite understand what the problem is. Maybe you have adifferent setup. Do you have a PCX or a Forza? My advice is assuming that you have a PCX. I carry an adjustable wrench or two on my bike that works well for tightening the nut on the bottom. If the top uses an allen wrench, you can find a full set for almost nothing. I carry a set that are all attached together like a pocket knife. If you need a socket set, they are cheap enough at places like Harbor Freight as well. If you plan on doing your own maintenance you will eventually need most of the metric tool set anyway, so consider a set as an expense that will save you from spending money at the repair shop.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Danger -- Danger -- Slippery Slope Alert !

This is how it starts. First some random tools: a socket set here, an Allen wrench set there, then a few screwdrivers, and before you know what's happened you own a set of TorX drivers and a maybe a torque wrench too. Then you need a tool box to keep them in, then another, bigger tool box for the ones that don't fit in the first one. Now you need a garage because you and your toolboxes have been thrown out of the house.

Not to worry, though, because now that you have a garage you have plenty of room to build pegboards to hang your specialty tools from, plus rafters to hang all your cables and extension cords from, right up there with your chainsaws and hedge trimmers. Your bigger tools can be leaned against either of the remaining walls that aren't blocked by your tool boxes or your cot.

Just try not to go overboard so you don't end up like Mel or me.

Good luck and best wishes !

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
kjmillig

Post by kjmillig »

Success, finally. I had to use a hammer to tap the Allen wrench into the holes, and tap on the wrench to get it to turn to loosen the handlebar bolts. I rotated them back maybe 1" or less. Then rotated the brake levers down a bit to a comfortable position. Now the mirrors barely touch the windshield when I turn hard, as in slowly turning around with my feet down.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well that's good news. A smack of the 'ol hammer trick, yeah that's been a popular hit thru the ages. Dead battery? Why back in the day, when I were a wee one, me Dad would hit the battery cable connectors @ the terminals to get her running. Crazy fix but it worked (sometimes) :lol:

Next time, before smacking your 6mm allen wrench, key, bit or other long hex T, try a bit of "Blaster PB." Sold everywhere. A light spray on each bolt the evening before will loosen it enough by the next day for easy removal. I know, I did it ;) It works.
BUT WAIT! BEFORE YOU SPRAY...put a towel down on the surrounding area to catch any over spray (mist).
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

@ Johnny...too funny and too too true! :lol:
Garage cleaning day is around the corner. It will be hard but I must clear out some very old electric tools and very heavy vise. Sad day it will be
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

homie wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Hmm...Have you rotated/repositioned your handlebars at all? Away from the screen (towards you, when seated).
Tis true, and I did this with you. So in theory he maybe could pull the bars down a little and recover the clearance needed as well? :D
I'm not 100% sure that I follow how to do this. I looked at the handlebar mount yesterday, and I don't see any way to attach any kind of wrench to it. There's four smooth bosses where bolts should be. It looks like I'm going to have to take all the plastic body parts off the front to get underneath to find a bolt head.

Anyone have any kind of diagram to show how to rotate the handlebars? Could they please post it if they do?
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

@WhiteNoise,

Don't throw out that vise! You never know when you might need it...

And just send me the electrical tools; I think I have room for them in my "waiting to rebuild" area.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

This is getting crazier!
Hey Ish, do us a favor...can ya post a pic or two of "what you're looking at?" In reference to your bars 4 smooth bosses/bolts and whatever else you're having a problem with. I/we need a close look too ;)
Thanks!
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

WhiteNoise wrote:This is getting crazier!
Hey Ish, do us a favor...can ya post a pic or two of "what you're looking at?" In reference to your bars 4 smooth bosses/bolts and whatever else you're having a problem with. I/we need a close look too ;)
Thanks!
I'd love to, but the bike is still in my friend's garage across town. I haven't yet gone to get a motorcycle endorsement for my driver's license.

On second thought, I've found a pic online to show what it is to which I refer. The red arrows point to the bosses on the handlebar mount.
Attachments
bosses.png
bosses.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 2094 times
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!