Halogen vs LED?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

kjmillig
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Halogen vs LED?

Post by kjmillig »

I'll be the owner of a 2013 PCX 150 by month's end.
I see that it comes standard with halogen headlights. Is there any real advantage to changing to LED lights? If so, which color?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Halogen vs LED?

Post by gn2 »

kjmillig wrote:Is there any real advantage to changing to LED lights? If so, which color?
Absolutely none.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

No offence meant to GN2.

It's a personal thing. GN2's answer may suit him, it doesn't mean you can't have another opinion.

I have a 2015 PCX and absolutely swear by the LED's, but that's just my opinion as I haven't ridden a PCX with halogen lights.

I also like chocolate ice cream, for what it's worth :D :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

JohnL wrote:I have a 2015 PCX and absolutely swear by the LED's
Which is fine, but irrelevant.
The PCX under discussion is a 2013 which has a completely different headlamp unit.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

The headlamp bulbs in the halogen headlamps are double filament and there are 2 of them. One filament for dipped and the other main beam. Can you even get double filament led's?

There are HID kits available and there's treads on the forum about the pros and cons

As gn2 said, the later pcx has led lamps but the headlamps are completely different.

What you need to remember is the factory set up the reflectors for the standard bulbs so fitting non standard ones may alter the pattern so it either dazzles other road users or gives dark spots.

I find the standard lights fine but others don't, but I use mine mostly where there are street lights.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is why some of us have added extra LED lights external to the lights already on the bike. One the American version of the 2013 PCX there are a lot of empty slots in the light assembly, but no harness setup to allow us to plug in more lights. In fact, you would have to disassemble the bike, take the headlight assembly off of the bike, drill out the holes where the lights should go, and fit a makeshift harness add-on in order to use all of the places where lights belong. Then you would have to make sure the fuses could handle the additional lights.

I would love to be able to do that, but it is an awful lot of work, and I have already reassembled my bike after the accident. I don't want to tear it down again just for more lights.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
vader1701
Color: Black

Post by vader1701 »

Mel46 if I may ask do you have any pictures of these lights and install info. I bought my daughter the 2013 PCX and I want to install some aux. lights. All about being seen.