Electric Hype

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Electric Hype

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:Aside from all of this there is one thing that is holding back progress in the hydrogen fuel arena. There are very few refueling points for hydrogen fuel.
Once upon a time the same could be said of petroleum fuels.

Its a chicken and egg thing, the only way hydrogen will become viable is through political pressure.

No matter what shite gets spouted by lobbyists and big business in the USA, fossil fuel isn't the future.

Anyone with half a brain recognises that there is a need to move away from fossil fuels and here in Aberdeen (and elsewhere) work is being done to enable the shift.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

gn2 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Aside from all of this there is one thing that is holding back progress in the hydrogen fuel arena. There are very few refueling points for hydrogen fuel.
Once upon a time the same could be said of petroleum fuels.

Its a chicken and egg thing, the only way hydrogen will become viable is through political pressure.

No matter what shite gets spouted by lobbyists and big business in the USA, fossil fuel isn't the future.

Anyone with half a brain recognises that there is a need to move away from fossil fuels and here in Aberdeen (and elsewhere) work is being done to enable the shift.
Agreed we need to move on from fossil fuel burning, however it will be far into the future when that actually happens (barring some cataclysm). Hydrogen is still in the dollars-per-mile stage rather than the pennies-per-mile place where the most people will be able to use it for regular transportation. Petroleum hasn't been that expensive in over a century. Whomever comes up with an economical way to get a lot of hydrogen in usable form will be revered as a god to me. The solution isn't in any one area or material. Petroleum figures into most areas of our lives, not just our vehicles. Fossil fuel, in general is the single most important reason we support as many people as we do on the planet. Getting away from it entirely? I don't see it in the moderate future. It sure would be nice to only need a tiny fraction of what we use now, though. Essentially turning off the mid-east oil empire is a dream, today.
Don't fool yourselves, it DOES matter what the large, monied interests want. They rule us whether we admit it or not. The idea is to attach a profit motive to the way we want them to go. Legislation, alone hasn't cut it. What works in Aberdeen might not work in Beijing and vice versa. Vastly different circumstances. The answers lie somewhere in between.
DO Carry on supporting and promoting less burning as much as possible though.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

There's been a lot of negative comments here so I figured I'd toss in a positive one (nice electrical pun, eh? :D ).

I bought my hybrid powered 2011 Honda CR-Z back in the summer of 2011 in the last batch that made it to the USA before the tsunami hit Japan and stopped production for almost a year. It is quite possibly the best car I've ever owned and I've had quite a few. I usually don't buy all new models in their first year but as soon as I saw the ads featuring the North Shore Blue Pearl color and found out you could get it with a 6 spd manual tranny I knew I wanted one. With the exception of one recall that just required some sort of software patch the car has had nothing but regularly scheduled maintenance and one set of tires in over 4 years and almost 60,000 miles.

The car hauls ass for a hybrid and will smoke the front tires with ease if you turn off the traction control while in sport mode and pop the clutch :D My 75+ lb dog can even stand up comfortably in the back hatch area comfortably! Did I say I absolutely LOVE this car?

The main reason I got this car was NOT because it was an electric hybrid but because I fell in love with its looks and when I drove it it reminded me of my first car - a 1989 Acura Integra w/ 5 spd manual tranny - I loved that car too. Now this car admittedly does not get Prius-like mileage and I knew that when I bought it - but can a Prius do this?

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (468.3 KiB) Viewed 973 times
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Back in 2009 both the governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger and our local premier
were touting the "hydrogen highway" stretching from San Diego to Whistler
Whistler went ahead and and had a fleet of 20 buses prepared for the 2010 winter Olympics
$90 million - five years later-they are done with the idea
fuel -maintenance costs way too high
the chicken egg theory
the egg never hatched. Oh well
for now us humans seem to be stuck in the carbon cycle
fossil fuels=dinosaurs?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Fossil fuel will run out. Electricity is renewable. We need to start shifting now. It takes a Century to make a shift like this. Modern batteries can last 3,000 cycles/ 300,000 miles. Fossil fuel electrical generation can approach 70% efficiency. A car averages no more than 20%. An electric drive in a PCX would be 85% efficient, wall to wheels and bring back 325 MPGe.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GatorGreg wrote:There's been a lot of negative comments here so I figured I'd toss in a positive one (nice electrical pun, eh? :D ).

I bought my hybrid powered 2011 Honda CR-Z back in the summer of 2011 in the last batch that made it to the USA before the tsunami hit Japan and stopped production for almost a year. It is quite possibly the best car I've ever owned and I've had quite a few. I usually don't buy all new models in their first year but as soon as I saw the ads featuring the North Shore Blue Pearl color and found out you could get it with a 6 spd manual tranny I knew I wanted one. With the exception of one recall that just required some sort of software patch the car has had nothing but regularly scheduled maintenance and one set of tires in over 4 years and almost 60,000 miles.

The car hauls ass for a hybrid and will smoke the front tires with ease if you turn off the traction control while in sport mode and pop the clutch :D My 75+ lb dog can even stand up comfortably in the back hatch area comfortably! Did I say I absolutely LOVE this car?

The main reason I got this car was NOT because it was an electric hybrid but because I fell in love with its looks and when I drove it it reminded me of my first car - a 1989 Acura Integra w/ 5 spd manual tranny - I loved that car too. Now this car admittedly does not get Prius-like mileage and I knew that when I bought it - but can a Prius do this?

Is that a Mclarren in the background?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

:D Looks like a MacKintoshh to me :D
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

you you wrote:Is that a Mclarren in the background?
Yes, good eye! Pic was taken at the "cars for the cure" show in 2013 - they posted the official pics from the show at the link below if you're interested. There are several McLaren pics but for some strange reason my car wasn't deemed worthy of being included in their official photo gallery :D But they were at least nice enough to let me tag along for the Sunday drive as long as I stayed out of their way :D The Sunday drive is the only reason I enter my cars in this show - it's basically a law enforcement quasi-approved chance to drive as fast as you want on public roads for show participants only.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j43e9d1o0ids ... C_3447.jpg
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

sendler2112 wrote:Fossil fuel will run out. Electricity is renewable. We need to start shifting now. It takes a Century to make a shift like this. Modern batteries can last 3,000 cycles/ 300,000 miles. Fossil fuel electrical generation can approach 70% efficiency. A car averages no more than 20%. An electric drive in a PCX would be 85% efficient, wall to wheels and bring back 325 MPGe.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

70% efficiency sounds ambitious
fossil fuel to electrical?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I thought I saw 69% posted somewhere about the newest power plants but the highest that I can find documentation on right now is 61% natural gas or fuel oil to electricity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_ ... CGT_plants
Which is still 2-3 times higher than if you had put that fuel in a car.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

All sounds good, where can I buy an electric hype?