Coolant warning...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: Coolant warning...

Post by j.d.b. »

My '13 has a temp light to the far-left of the cluster, next to the odo reset button. The icon looks like a thermometer.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

j.d.b. wrote:My '13 has a temp light to the far-left of the cluster, next to the odo reset button. The icon looks like a thermometer.
You see it when you turn on the ignition for a second right? Only an engine light displays on 2015.
jims
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by jims »

The temp light does work. I saw it come on when I had the hole in the head problem. It was my first indication that I had low coolant.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The coolant drips out (fast) as soon as I add it to the little container under the flap under the rubber mat. Thing is once the dealer has the bike and if they cannot see something obvious (loose pipe, cap missing!) and start taking it apart, then it may be some time waiting for parts to come in when I have no scoot - even though it's been riding fine for ages with little coolant.

I'm thinking it was like this from the last service - but that is nothing more than putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 - but the dealer I purchased the bike from is getting a bad rep in the Forza 125 FB page due to constant cock-ups and high charges for poor work.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

sendler2112 wrote:Coolant levels always go down on any new vehicle because the hoses stretch out a little over time.

I have that problem myself...stretching out a little over time...
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Going away the weekend but when I parked up at work this morning I remembered to actually check to see if the high-temp light lights up when the key is turned to the 2nd position (where the fuel pump engages) and no, at no point does mine light up at all - not sure if that's right or if it should have been alerting me for some time. Still, the bike has been riding just find with no problems, no steam coming out, so I assume the central cooling system is ok but the reservoir part is the problem - not sure how the system is linked without referring to the shop manual.

I'll find out more Tuesday when they take a look - dropping it off at a supposedly good London dealer and not one of the dodgy outlets.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Or you could sort it out yourself If its reserve tank issues you have surely you can manage without a dealer and their fees. Here is everything you need to get in there and look at the reserve tank, hose and connections on a 2015 PCX. If you find a leak order a tank or replace a hose. If you are pouring coolant in the right place :lol: and it runs right out on the floor then you can fix this.

1. REMOVE THE SIDE COVER
2. INSPECT THE RESERVE TANK AND HOSES
3. REPAIR OR REPLACE HOSE, TANK OR ANY CONNECTION
4. FILL RESERVE TANK AND INSPECT FOR LEAKS

if you are felling cocky at that point drain the main tank and follow instructions for filling and bleeding air from the coolant lines. BEWARE IN YOUR COUNTY THEY MAY FOID YOUR WARRANTY FOR TURNING A BOLT.
Attachments
side cover.JPG
side cover.JPG (228.1 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
reserve tank.JPG
reserve tank.JPG (187.08 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
coolant check.JPG
coolant check.JPG (272.96 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
system bleed.JPG
system bleed.JPG (198.94 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

iceman wrote:Going away the weekend but when I parked up at work this morning I remembered to actually check to see if the high-temp light lights up when the key is turned to the 2nd position (where the fuel pump engages) and no, at no point does mine light up at all - not sure if that's right or if it should have been alerting me for some time. Still, the bike has been riding just find with no problems, no steam coming out, so I assume the central cooling system is ok but the reservoir part is the problem - not sure how the system is linked without referring to the shop manual.

I'll find out more Tuesday when they take a look - dropping it off at a supposedly good London dealer and not one of the dodgy outlets.
Mine doesn't light on key-up, either ('13).
jims
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by jims »

I have a 2013 also and the light does not come on when I turn the key on. I once left the wire to the coolant temp sensor off on a rebuild and it through a code and ran bad. Its a simple but great system!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Took it to the dealer as I was away the weekend and just got back and feel shattered and as I do not yet have trim tools and it's pouring, thought I would be lazy on this one.. Dreading the charges esp. after seeing how easy it should be to check things.

I do have the service manual but alas, a bit late to look into it now although feel I should have had a go at this one. I can't believe it's anything other than the siphon hose broken or just hanging loose - sigh, oh well, waiting to hear back although it is booked in tomorrow so not sure they will check today.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Took it to the dealer as I was away the weekend and just got back and feel shattered and as I do not yet have trim tools and it's pouring, thought I would be lazy on this one.. Dreading the charges esp. after seeing how easy it should be to check things.

I do have the service manual but alas, a bit late to look into it now although feel I should have had a go at this one. I can't believe it's anything other than the siphon hose broken or just hanging loose - sigh, oh well, waiting to hear back although it is booked in tomorrow so not sure they will check today.

I'm I missing something? Have you had any symptoms of overheating or any issues?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
iceman wrote:Took it to the dealer as I was away the weekend and just got back and feel shattered and as I do not yet have trim tools and it's pouring, thought I would be lazy on this one.. Dreading the charges esp. after seeing how easy it should be to check things.

I'm I missing something? Have you had any symptoms of overheating or any issues?
yes, you'dyou'd he's doing preventative measures because he fills the reserve only to see it dribble on the deck. He don't want this to get as far as over heating.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

No over-heating, but as Homie found his was low I checked mine to find the reservoir was almost dry - just the bit in the bottom as the hole for the hose is on the side near the bottom. So, the main cooling system is sealed and working, it's just the resorvoir that is empty but should be full.
I was worried when I found it empty. But it seems it just drip feeds the main system via the hose and suction? - or something like that.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Well, this is wierd and embarrassing. Just phoned the dealer to ask if they've looked at it yet - they had, and they found no leak - just over-filled which is why it was pouring out. wtf!
Well, I can only assume HGB over-filled it or did not check as I had the 1st service with them and as mentioned only checked due to someone mentioning theirs was low. I can't understand how both I and a work colleauge did not spot this. We could see just a clear reservour chamber and no green/blue fluid inside until we tipped the bike to one side and then could see a green/blue fluid moving around well below the low level - from that point downwards!
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

iceman wrote:Well, this is wierd and embarrassing. Just phoned the dealer to ask if they've looked at it yet - they had, and they found no leak - just over-filled which is why it was pouring out. wtf!
That sounds (reads) like bullshit to me.

If you'd overfilled, it would eventually stop pouring out once it leveled off.

I think they're fibbing. ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:
iceman wrote:Well, this is wierd and embarrassing. Just phoned the dealer to ask if they've looked at it yet - they had, and they found no leak - just over-filled which is why it was pouring out. wtf!
That sounds (reads) like bullshit to me.
If you'd overfilled, it would eventually stop pouring out once it leveled off.
I think they're fibbing. ;)
Oh man... youyou's going to eat our livers with some fava beans and a nice chianti now :roll: how did this happen?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I just remembered something else that does not gel with over-filled. When we checked it and before I ordered the coolant the top filler part of the reservoir was empty and dry which is also how the whole thing appeared to be (this is with the mat and cap removed) and when I poured a tiny amount of new coolant into the middle of the neck it started coming out the bottom - so it could not have been over-filled, could it, and i tried this twice.

I still believe the hose must have been loose or come off or something like that and the fluid was coming out the bottom, but why not just say that? < this was another dealer not the one I had the 600 mile service. I took it to a different dealer, First Line Motorcycles not HGB as the FB Forza 125 page has lots of posts of people completely peeved off with the service and incompetenece they get at HGB).

I've got the bike back now and I'll take another look at work as it's still raining here but well lit and dry at work.

They only charged me half hour labour + VAT (tax) which came to £34 all in. They had also checked over the bike and advised the steering head bearing is a bit tight so should be looked at next service (£70 estimate). I'd of thought that should be a warranty issue irrespective of services done, but it feels fine to me. They do seem to have lost the plot a bit as they said my bike was very low mileage with an odometer reading of 596 miles (both printed and hand-written on the paperwork along with a question mark :) - 5960 miles is more like it). If they cannot get that right . . .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Retards and doorknobs on this one. It's an expansion tank and, correct me if I'm wrong the bike, or the owner, had no issues before Homie set the hares running.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:Retards and doorknobs on this one. It's an expansion tank and, correct me if I'm wrong the bike, or the owner, had no issues before Homie set the hares running.
I will own this one, I deserve that. Maddie should dump the thread and iceman should send me a bill. Pay no attention to the coolant reservoir other than if you open it and moth's fly out.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:Retards and doorknobs on this one. It's an expansion tank and, correct me if I'm wrong the bike, or the owner, had no issues before Homie set the hares running.
I will own this one, I deserve that. Maddie should dump the thread and iceman should send me a bill. Pay no attention to the coolant reservoir other than if you open it and moth's fly out.

I could hug you, let's go Dutch