Coolant warning...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Coolant warning...

Post by homie »

For those of us who do our own maintenance this is what you might expect at the 3k mile mark on PCX. Be diligent and have a look now and then especially if you're rolling over 3000 miles. Tuck your flash light up from under to get a good look and lets RIDE!

Also we're burning oil to the lower indication on the dip stick faster than we are changing it on PCX. Pay attention boys and girls we want to maintain fluid levels on our precious :D
Attachments
coolant.JPG
coolant.JPG (118.69 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: Coolant warning...

Post by j.d.b. »

Is that reading on a cold motor? Also, how many miles are you going to see the oil go from the high mark to the low mark?
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

You shouldn't use any coolant?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Tom192 wrote:You shouldn't use any coolant?
j.d.b. wrote:Is that reading on a cold motor? Also, how many miles are you going to see the oil go from the high mark to the low mark?
Tom... you would use what for coolant?

j.d.b... yes that's a cold coolant reading in the picture (be happy to warm it up) and I cant say for sure how many miles it took to go low on the oil stick but it was close to 1k because I started this riding season with 2000 miles and a fresh oil change. So yes check your oil level every 1000 miles for sure.
Attachments
coolant.jpg
coolant.jpg (230.53 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I like the hot level a little more :D
Attachments
coolant hot.jpg
coolant hot.jpg (115.3 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
jims
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by jims »

homie, I think Tom192 is asking why is it using coolant? When I had a problem with low coolant on my PCX 150 it was because the water jacket above the intake valve had a hole in it.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

jims wrote:homie, I think Tom192 is asking why is it using coolant? When I had a problem with low coolant on my PCX 150 it was because the water jacket above the intake valve had a hole in it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I see that now I read it again.
Um... Tom I smell nothing and see no leaks, I assumed coolant has an evaporation rate and that it would be low at some point consistent with use.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Coolant levels always go down on any new vehicle because the hoses stretch out a little over time.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

You had me worried, 21,000km and no coolant change and levels all good.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Just checked the coolant level for the 1st time (had the dealer do the 600 mile service). Just on about 5300 miles now. I'm worried now as I shone a torch like Homie suggested and I can see no indication of there being any coolant in that little chamber at all! (no liquid level visible in any of the pipe/chamber). The bike is on the center stand. I may get someone to help later by moving the bike side to side while I take a look at the pipe.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Just checked with two of us (bike cold). With a torch shining from underneath it looked like there was a light green coating on the inside walls, but when tilting the bike from side to side (and to the left) we could see some in there but about a cm below the low!!!!
Will look into getting coolant (proper one) asap. Worried how it can get so low if it's not supposed to leak!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie bringing it to ya'll! He saved the day...again! :P I have the recommended fluid...just in case. Good thing you checked that! Thanks sir!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Apparently Honda changed the colour (dye) from green to blue to make it cool'er - get it :) - and this is what you guys across the seas have:
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-Par ... B0089LSFJ0 but as usual in the UK I cannot find that on-line anywhere! (wanted to order on-line rather than visit the dealer as busy weekends and at work during the week).
All I can find online (google, amazon and ebay) is similar to this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda ... 25ad43a0af
So, anyone know where I can order the correct approved coolant on-line in the UK? Amendment :) - would this be ok:
http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/fluid ... olant.html
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

iceman wrote: Worried how it can get so low if it's not supposed to leak!
That will probably only take a few cc's to bring it up to the line. If you are really worried you can open the actual radiator cap but I'm sure you will find it is completely full.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Thanks sendler. I just phoned a dealer nearer to where I live (North London) and they sell it for £8 litre which is quite good. They said it's an easy DIY job - I'll have to check the owners/service manual when I get home. I did mention it's well below the low level in the container Homie showed above (bottom of bike) and they said that's just the over-flow chamber and not what is live in the system and everything should be fine - really - to get that low?
Actually, I'm confused now. Mine is the '15 led model which should be similar to the 150cc Homie posted above, and indeed the vessek checked is under the bike on the RHS. However I'm looking at a PDF of the owners manual and that suggests the place to check is behind the fuse box under the seat - so, has it changed or are these two checks totally different things? What is the 'below the low' level thing under the bike then?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

So, having got home and had access to the proper owners manual the fill and check point had moved compared to the pre-led models - under the rhs floorboard and no longer near or behind the fuse box. Quite a few other changes then with the '15 models.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Seriously, stop worrying about it.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Bad news - just
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Bad news - just tried filling it up (as it was below the low) and soon as the coolant goes in it comes our the bottom :( - not sure what is wrong - something loose, pipe/container got a leak. It seems to come out very near where the reservoir bottle is. I'm taking it to a dealer next Monday to check it out as I do not have the panel removal tools and I would not have parts if it needs any - they say they would have to order bits in if needed.

I'm hoping it's just a loose connection or the drain plug left of by the dealer when I had the 600 mile service :) - not likely. Damn, no idea how long it's been like this and I only checked due to Homie mentioning his was low and needed a top-up - thanks homie!

It's probably been like this for ages as I've not seen a pool of liquid on the floor at home or work (only when I did the oil change and not tighten the drain plug enough) - wonder if it has been like that for almost a year! The high-temp light has never come on though.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iceman wrote: The high-temp light has never come on though.
You added fluid watching the reservoir level rise only to see it drain right off immediately, or adding fluid only to see it puddle on the floor? Forgive me, a fair question only if you attempted to fill during happy hour.

I did not know we had a high temp indicator on the dash, is that the engine light or do we have a stand alone temp light?