De-modded from NCY Variator to kinda stock...my thoughts.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Re: De-modded from NCY Variator to kinda stock...my thoughts

Post by dem0nk1d »

Im doing 60-65mph on the flats. Then up hill i'm hitting 55-60. The bike is all stock for now. and just hit 3k miles as of yesterday, we rode all over San Diego.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

From experience guys here are several things to remember about the NCY variator. First, the stock belt is good for 1000-1200 miles before you loose a good bit of speed. Second, about the same time you will have significant degradation of the Teflon coating in the variator and you will also have a buildup to clean off. Automotive scotch pads are great for this. Third, the Teflon coating in he variator is not compatible with dr pulley sliders. You will loose 10-15mph with swapping in identical weight sliders. The materials grip each other.

I loved the ncy's performance, it just didn't last long in he scheme of things.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Mgalutia88,

What do you think about stripping out the coating, and just giving everything a mirror polish? Also the rule of thumb with the silders is to go down 2oz from the current roller weights you’re using.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mgalutia88 wrote:From experience guys here are several things to remember about the NCY variator. First, the stock belt is good for 1000-1200 miles before you loose a good bit of speed. Second, about the same time you will have significant degradation of the Teflon coating in the variator and you will also have a buildup to clean off. Automotive scotch pads are great for this. Third, the Teflon coating in he variator is not compatible with dr pulley sliders. You will loose 10-15mph with swapping in identical weight sliders. The materials grip each other.

I loved the ncy's performance, it just didn't last long in he scheme of things.

Did he factor in scotchguard pads and any kind of surface coating?
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

dem0nk1d wrote:Im doing 60-65mph on the flats. Then up hill i'm hitting 55-60. The bike is all stock for now. and just hit 3k miles as of yesterday, we rode all over San Diego.
Order up the NCY variator for approx $60, purchase a new belt, and bring it over to my place if you need to and we can swap
it all out in about 15 minutes. =)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Look at the NCY kit with drive face here.

http://www.jiangwayne.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=205
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Look at the NCY kit with drive face here.

http://www.jiangwayne.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=205

Thanks for your order
Your payment of $114.90 USD is complete.
You're now going back to jiangwayne.com inc. Taiwan.

8) Just ordered i will keep you guys posted. Looks like i'll be moving in a month or so, and my commute went from 8 miles one way, to 30. So looks like this is going to be a very valid upgrade for me.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Don't see any difference from stock but...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

waspmike wrote:Don't see any difference from stock but...

The charm of the snake oil has you?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

This was my first mod and it allowed me to run 73-75mph on flats and 77mph down hill. Very economical upgrade.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Mgalutia88 wrote:This was my first mod and it allowed me to run 73-75mph on flats and 77mph down hill. Very economical upgrade.
Looks like you went with 12g rollers. Mine came in yesterday and installed the 15gram rollers. Performance has been lost due to the weight. When i get back home i'll swap over to the 12gram rollers. However this morning down hill i hit about 75mph.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

dem0nk1d wrote:
Mgalutia88 wrote:This was my first mod and it allowed me to run 73-75mph on flats and 77mph down hill. Very economical upgrade.
Looks like you went with 12g rollers. Mine came in yesterday and installed the 15gram rollers. Performance has been lost due to the weight. When i get back home i'll swap over to the 12gram rollers. However this morning down hill i hit about 75mph.
Sorry i meant to say 13grams the rollers are 20x15mm. So maybe that's where i got the 15grams. My bad.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

dem0nk1d wrote:
dem0nk1d wrote:
Sorry i meant to say 13grams the rollers are 20x15mm. So maybe that's where i got the 15grams. My bad.
Sounds like you're getting about what I get. A new belt will get you to the 79mph I'm getting. Also, depending on how much your rear tire is worn may contribute to a loss in ultimate top speed. Glad you're liking it. I just picked up a 2nd PCX150, may do the NCY variator on that too, except that I really don't need 2 scooters! It was just too cheap to pass up @ $2,300 with only 16 miles in perfect cond.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Of course, even cheaper would be to just pick up some DR Pulley sliders and use the stock variator on my 2nd PCX. Except, not sure what weight sliders to use. Thinking if each weight change (+1g) adds 3mph top speed, and stock is 12g, then maybe 15g sliders. I'm only 150lbs, so I can give up some accel to gain the top speed. THing is, I already know the NCY variator kit with the OEM honda rollers works perfectly and gets me 79mph...so, it's hard to argue with that. Plus, sliders shipped are at least $40, and the variator kit which I know what it will do for me, is not much more!
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Conventional wisdom says 10% lighter with DrPulley sliders so 11 g. But if acceleration is not an issue then stick with stock, 12g.