Is 2019 Honda PCX California Freeway Legal? (min 150 cc)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Is 2019 Honda PCX California Freeway Legal? (min 150 cc)

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:Looking forward to reading your comparison of the SMax vs. PCX 150. I've heard the SMax will travel well into the 70 MPH range. . .and some reports have it touching 80 MPH. :o
Thanks, yeah I'm still in the break in stage which is 600 freaking miles! I think we have sunny weather tomorrow and I have the day off so I might try to do a vid. I'm only at about 150 miles so far but I did unexpectedly take it up over 70mph (indicated) briefly when a disgruntled cager took humbrage I think with my filtering past him at a red light. I took off at the green in the center lane (3 lanes) and he tried to keep up and then I notice him getting in the right lane as if to come along side to yell at me. I kept the throttle wide open and he never did catch me LOL - I think he backed off when he got up to around 65 since we were in a 45 zone.

I don't like the 1970's era turn signal stalks compared to the PCX, but I love the flat floor! Went to the grocery store to buy a 12 pack of ginger ale, etc. Since it said buy 2 get 1 free I ended up buying 3 packs and was able to stack 2 of them on the flat floor with 1 under the seat along with all the other stuff. Also love the digital speedo/real tach needle combo, the fuel filler door is light years better than my PCX, the built in windscreen, the meatier tires, and a bit more storage under the seat than my PCX. You also have the option of locking the keyhole when you lock the steering, a MUCH better system than the PCX's mandatory system which is a PITA IMO. The exhaust also sounds pretty good for a scooter which I wasn't expecting. Seat is comfortable once I got used to it and while not as much leg room as the PCX I usually only ride for no more than 10 miles so it's not really an issue. I really like your Zuma 125 with the off road tires, opens up a lot of potential areas for riding. I'm actually thinking of getting a Honda Monkey to go with my scooter to have fun with on some of the nearby trails, a dealer already has a used one for sale at a decent price. So many great little bikes to choose from now! Oh, I also love the open cubby with no door under the dash, I can stash a bottle of Dasani in there as seen in the pic without having to fuss with a door which is nice!

Sorry for the thread jacking OP :D
Attachments
IMG_5130.PNG
IMG_5130.PNG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 475 times
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GatorGreg wrote:
Old Grinner wrote:Looking forward to reading your comparison of the SMax vs. PCX 150. I've heard the SMax will travel well into the 70 MPH range. . .and some reports have it touching 80 MPH. :o
Thanks, yeah I'm still in the break in stage which is 600 freaking miles! I think we have sunny weather tomorrow and I have the day off so I might try to do a vid. I'm only at about 150 miles so far but I did unexpectedly take it up over 70mph (indicated) briefly when a disgruntled cager took humbrage I think with my filtering past him at a red light. I took off at the green in the center lane (3 lanes) and he tried to keep up and then I notice him getting in the right lane as if to come along side to yell at me. I kept the throttle wide open and he never did catch me LOL - I think he backed off when he got up to around 65 since we were in a 45 zone.

I don't like the 1970's era turn signal stalks compared to the PCX, but I love the flat floor! Went to the grocery store to buy a 12 pack of ginger ale, etc. Since it said buy 2 get 1 free I ended up buying 3 packs and was able to stack 2 of them on the flat floor with 1 under the seat along with all the other stuff. Also love the digital speedo/real tach needle combo, the fuel filler door is light years better than my PCX, the built in windscreen, the meatier tires, and a bit more storage under the seat than my PCX. You also have the option of locking the keyhole when you lock the steering, a MUCH better system than the PCX's mandatory system which is a PITA IMO. The exhaust also sounds pretty good for a scooter which I wasn't expecting. Seat is comfortable once I got used to it and while not as much leg room as the PCX I usually only ride for no more than 10 miles so it's not really an issue. I really like your Zuma 125 with the off road tires, opens up a lot of potential areas for riding. I'm actually thinking of getting a Honda Monkey to go with my scooter to have fun with on some of the nearby trails, a dealer already has a used one for sale at a decent price. So many great little bikes to choose from now! Oh, I also love the open cubby with no door under the dash, I can stash a bottle of Dasani in there as seen in the pic without having to fuss with a door which is nice!

Sorry for the thread jacking OP :D
Its Christmas so we need Snowflakes.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:When I bought the Zuma 125 I did sit on an SMax. What I first noticed was the ergonomics. The seat was comfortable. . .more comfortable than the PCX. . .at least for me. . .but the knee room felt a bit limited. It wasn't obtrusive but it wasn't abundant either. With more time and analysis I think it's something that sub-six footers could get quickly used to. It's nice that they mounted the DOT turn signal stalks on the fairing instead of on the handlebar as they are on the Zuma. That said at the time I was looking for a machine that was a bit more rugged with some off road capability and yet be able to do 50 MPH plus. I was going to be trading in my Genuine Roughhouse and PCX and needed something that sort of combined the better qualities of both. The new disc brakes and the abundant under seat storage of the new Zuma really impressed me. Plus for not a ton of more money I could get the Yamaha accessory wind screen and luggage rack. Bottom line is I'm quite pleased with 2018 Zuma 125 and it does what I needed it to for around town and some forest roads. I haven't broken any turn signals on it yet either. . .they are mounted up high and forward enough from the handlebar. :D
So I was out doing some Xmas shopping this afternoon and couldn't help stopping by a dealer that sells all the major Japanese brands. Got to sit on a new Yamaha Zuma 125 and wow was that comfy - mainly cuz there's hardly any discernible hump in the seat so I could sit back and stretch out my legs - fairly high seat height too which I like. I would love to have that humpless seat on my SMAX. It also had the same style gas cap, ignition cover, and open cubby storage under the dash that I like on my SMAX as well as the flat floor. I also liked its BMW S1000RR-esque headlights as well - very cool. They didn't have any SMAX or XMAX in stock but they did have the Vino and Zuma 50. They only had one PCX150, a 2019 non-ABS model. I've yet to actually see an ABS model PCX in person. It looked nice but I'm not a big fan of that bronze color - what was Honda thinking in offering no other choices in the USA? I also sat on a new Suzuki Burgman 200, felt like I was sitting in a wheel chair cuz the seat was so low and I thought the plastics of the dash and elsewhere looked really cheap compared to the PCX and SMAX - I couldn't believe they wanted $4,999 for it.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

So I was out doing some Xmas shopping this afternoon and couldn't help stopping by a dealer that sells all the major Japanese brands. Got to sit on a new Yamaha Zuma 125 and wow was that comfy - mainly cuz there's hardly any discernible hump in the seat so I could sit back and stretch out my legs - fairly high seat height too which I like. I would love to have that humpless seat on my SMAX. It also had the same style gas cap, ignition cover, and open cubby storage under the dash that I like on my SMAX as well as the flat floor. I also liked its BMW S1000RR-esque headlights as well - very cool. They didn't have any SMAX or XMAX in stock but they did have the Vino and Zuma 50. They only had one PCX150, a 2019 non-ABS model. I've yet to actually see an ABS model PCX in person. It looked nice but I'm not a big fan of that bronze color - what was Honda thinking in offering no other choices in the USA? I also sat on a new Suzuki Burgman 200, felt like I was sitting in a wheel chair cuz the seat was so low and I thought the plastics of the dash and elsewhere looked really cheap compared to the PCX and SMAX - I couldn't believe they wanted $4,999 for it.
Yes. . .the seat is a bit high but not bad. And, although there is a hint of a "hump" it's mostly flat and one can find comfort while riding it. Also the suspension is a little different than my PCX was. . .not as springy. . .just gets the job done. . .and I've only got them on the middle setting.

Oh, and the gas cap. . .good point!

Don't mean to sound weird but lately I've gotten used to filling up my Zuma using the lawn equipment gas can. I always toss some Startron in it for good measure. What I do is I park the Zuma on the center stand with the sun to my back so I can see the "full tank indicator bar" that's down in the filler hole. . .down lower than the bottom of the white plastic neck (see pic). Already having checked the fuel gauge before I last turned off the motor, I know roughly how much fuel I can expect to pour in there. It's not rocket science but I pour some, while listening, and then pull the gas can away from the filler hole and look to see where it's at. By doing a little at a time you avoid pouring in too much. Once it gets to the level of that piece of bar stock in the hole the image will get wavy. If you gently nudge the machine it will cause the fuel to move just slightly enough to distort the image and then you know your're done. It's a little tricky the first few times you do it but after a while you get better at it and it takes less time. It sure beats over filling at the gas pump. . .especially when there's a line. When you start up the scooter check the fuel level gauge again and it should read full. 8)

I tried to get a good pic of that level bar but I'll that I could get of it was a faint image. Check your's though. . .you'll see what I mean. ;)
100_5447a.jpg
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

The turn signals on the s and xmax are hideous, imo, replaced mine with a small LED dagger that is very bright....from amazon.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Jge64 wrote:The turn signals on the s and xmax are hideous, imo, replaced mine with a small LED dagger that is very bright....from amazon.
That looks waaaay better than the pumpkins! Are the ones in this link below what you got? Did you get the recommended adaptor/spacer and relays? Ultimately I want to get the OEM Euro/Asian market lights but it will probably be a PITA and pricey to track down all the parts - the Amazon ones would be much easier and a big improvement.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Techno ... rn+signals

How do you like your XMAX? I see it will be offered in black for 2019. I'm thinking of getting this exhaust for my SMAX:

https://japan.webike.net/products/21406596.html

They also have some nice fender eliminators, etc, at the same site.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

yes, those are the ones, you will also need the LED flasher module that just plugs in...and adaptor plates....then its plug and play....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073J ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI