Is 2019 Honda PCX California Freeway Legal? (min 150 cc)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Is 2019 Honda PCX California Freeway Legal? (min 150 cc)

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

So the new 2019 PCX's engine displacement has been reduced to 149cc from 153cc of the prior model years.

Honda official description for prior years mentioned it being freeway legal and the 2019 does not mention that.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai ... otorcycles

I guess my question is, if you have to defend your perceived right to be on the freeway on a 149cc 2019 PCX, will the judge go by the model name or the actual reported displacement (hence rendering 2019 PCX not freeway legal in California).

Please note, I am not bringing up the subject of whether one chooses or is comfortable riding similar scooters on the freeway. I am strictly inquiring about legality of 2019 being on a freeway in California.

Thanks
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Is 2019 Honda PCX California Freeway Legal? (min 150 cc)

Post by fish »

Last time I saw a sign on the entrance ramp to a limited access California highway it mentioned brake horsepower. ...not cc's.
But that was in 1973.
I'd call the DMV.
Fish
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I've been living in California since 2003 and have never seen anything remotely close to what you are describing (horsepower signs).

Usually this is what you see at the entrance of the freeway/interstate on-ramp:
Attachments
q.jpg
q.jpg (109.84 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
road-sign-pedestrians-bicycles-motor-driven-cycles-prohibited-los-AXHEX5.jpg
road-sign-pedestrians-bicycles-motor-driven-cycles-prohibited-los-AXHEX5.jpg (268.69 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

My gut instinct is that it is by the engine displacement.

The laws can be a bit confusing sometimes. . .. Sometimes they will mention horsepower for one category and displacement for another. You can always call your State Police Department and ask them.

In my state if you ride anything 50cc or higher you need a license plate and motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license.

Up to 49.9cc and you just have to have a regular driver's license and can put a MOPED plate on the machine.

I think to travel on Interstates it's 150cc in CT but don't quote me. The signs on the access ramps usually read "No Pedestrians, No Bicycles, No Motor Bikes, No Motorscooters". It's a bit confusing if you ride an XMax or Forza 300 and aren't aware of the actual law. :|
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

read this - sorta helps explain ....

Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

springer1 wrote:read this - sorta helps explain ....

Yes, I posted this link in the original post.
You haven't addressed my question though.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Old Grinner wrote:My gut instinct is that it is by the engine displacement.
That's what the mentioning of the displacement hints at but at the same time, the scooter is called PCX150, so maybe there is a caveat that would allow it to be legally ridden on a freeway in California.
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Special
Color: White Edition

Post by PCX2016 »

I believe the 153cc is perfect.. who cares.
American in Cambodia !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Your question is interesting. As far as I know the definition of the cc's in a Motorcycle are based on the closest whole number in 10s. Thus, a 149cc bike would be considered a 150cc bike. The same applies to the 300cc Forza, which only has a 279cc engine...which I thought would classify it as a 280cc instead of 300cc.

It is confusing but keep in mind that Honda is not required to reapply for California certification each year for scooters and motorcycles it has already gotten certification on. The PCX 150 was certified in 2012. (The 2011 model was a 125cc and was NOT highway certified). It is basically the same bike, aside from getting an exemption now from having to install those turn signal "stalks" it was required to have until the 2015 Model year. As far as the law knows, it still meets the 150cc requirement.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

i think its freeway legal but the pcx is a light bike you could almost get blown off the road by a big truck
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

an interesting discussion but pretty acedemic, unless you are doing something really stupid, I really doubt a state cop is gonna stop you and measure your displacement......they have plenty more to do....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:an interesting discussion but pretty acedemic, unless you are doing something really stupid, I really doubt a state cop is gonna stop you and measure your displacement......they have plenty more to do....

X2
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Jge64 wrote:an interesting discussion but pretty acedemic, unless you are doing something really stupid, I really doubt a state cop is gonna stop you and measure your displacement......they have plenty more to do....
Imagine an accident in which one side`s attorneys blame it on the scooter stating it shoukd have been legally operated in a freeway.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Mel46 wrote:Your question is interesting. As far as I know the definition of the cc's in a Motorcycle are based on the closest whole number in 10s. Thus, a 149cc bike would be considered a 150cc bike.
Excellent point. You may have hit the nail on the head. I was just curious if honda removing the mentioning of being freeway legal was due to insufficient engine size or just a different marketing ad.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
Imagine an accident in which one side`s attorneys blame it on the scooter stating it shoukd have been legally operated in a freeway.

I’m imagining one of the attorneys is Jim Carey.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Call the LAPD and ask the question. Better still, write to them.

In terms of the Law, engine capacities are often designed with local licence restrictions (and other factors) in mind so there's probably a reason why your bike is a 149cc and not 150cc. A Cop probably wouldn't be bothered, but insurance companies might delight in such small technical details such as this. Of course, it's all nonsense, but this is the modern world we've created!
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:So the new 2019 PCX's engine displacement has been reduced to 149cc from 153cc of the prior model years.

Honda official description for prior years mentioned it being freeway legal and the 2019 does not mention that.

I guess my question is, if you have to defend your perceived right to be on the freeway on a 149cc 2019 PCX, will the judge go by the model name or the actual reported displacement (hence rendering 2019 PCX not freeway legal in California).

Please note, I am not bringing up the subject of whether one chooses or is comfortable riding similar scooters on the freeway. I am strictly inquiring about legality of 2019 being on a freeway in California.

Thanks
Good catch on the deletion of "freeway legal" from Honda's 2019 description v. their 2018 description - I just checked their USA website where they still have the 2018 model description along with the new 2019 model and saw it for myself. The reduction from 153cc to 149cc seems very odd to me - I can only assume that by having it under 150cc it might open the doors to more potential buyers in markets that may have easier licensing requirements for bikes under 150cc? But then I would have thought that was the purpose of the PCX125?

The reduction from 153cc to 149cc appears to result from reducing the bore from 58.0mm to 57.3mm with the stroke remaining unchanged at 57.9mm. It's such a tiny change that it seems to me that Honda went out of their way to make the displacement under 150cc for some purpose other than engineering necessity. My new 2018 Yamaha SMAX (155cc) by comparison has a bore and stroke of 58.0mm x 58.7mm, just a tiny bit bigger. (I'll do a separate thread comparing my SMAX to my old PCX150 soon.). So according to your California DMV link, my 155cc SMAX as well as 153cc 2015-2018 PCX150's are classified as "motorcycles" while the new 149cc 2019 PCX150 is technically a "motor-driven cycle".

So to answer your question, I would say "technically" the 149cc 2019 PCX150 is not legal on the highway in places that require at least 150cc and above to ride on the highway. That said, I would be shocked if a cop would ever pull you over because the thing is pretty damn fast - see the vid below posted recently by Old Grinner in another thread of Makina's video review where it's going a steady 122kph and hitting 124kph briefly. I believe 122kph equates to 75mph. Assuming the new digital speedo is calibrated the same as the old needle one, that's a solid 10mph faster than my old 2015 PCX150 with the bigger 153cc engine.

IMO if you're able to hit and cruise at or above the speed limit on a highway (most in my area are either 65mph with some at 55 or 75) I would think the odds of getting pulled over cuz the cop questions your engine displacement would be close to nil. Now if you're cruising along at 40-45mph on a 65mph highway riding a 49cc Ruckus or Metropolitan than yes I could definitely see a cop pulling you over as you are arguably posing a significant risk to both yourself and others.

But even if you did get pulled over on I-95 doing 70mph for lack of 1cc engine displacement, IMO 90% of the county judges in my area would let you off if you simply appealed the ticket and showed them that Honda calls it the "PCX 150". Ironically, a Honda salesperson told me he thinks Honda removed the "150" badge from the rear flanks of the 2019 model so as to allow more people to ride it and avoid getting challenged for riding an over 50cc scooter without proper motorcycle endorsements - at least as is required in Florida.

In Motorcycle.com's "Highway Hopper Scootout" (see link below) where they compared the 2015 PCX150 and 2015 Yamaha SMAX, their main beef with the Honda was its 63moh top speed v. the SMAX's 80mph top speed. So it seems very strange to me that Honda would significantly boost the top speed, yet reduce the cc's at the same time to make it arguably illegal on roads where you can actually ride at those speeds.

Link: https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/h ... r-scootout

Old Grinner
Makina's video review
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

Also, I'd be more worried about civil v. criminal liability for riding a 149cc scooter on the highway. For example, I could definitely see an insurance company's attorney arguing that their insured driver was not at fault for rear ending you on the highway because you were illegally riding a "motor-driven cycle" on a road that prohibits same. Your own insurance company might try to disavow coverage for the same reason. Whether that argument is successful would depend on the jury.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Keep in mind that neither police nor many insurance companies knows the difference between a 2018 model and a 2019 model in most cases. As i recall, Honda claims that the hp is the same between the two.

In the end, I would not worry about it. However, riding a PCX on any high speed road is not a wise decision. It is light so you would feel cross-wind and large trucks. I have ridden mine from one exit to the next, but not much farther. It just does not feel safe at high speeds.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The reduction from 153cc to 149cc appears to result from reducing the bore from 58.0mm to 57.3mm with the stroke remaining unchanged at 57.9mm. It's such a tiny change that it seems to me that Honda went out of their way to make the displacement under 150cc for some purpose other than engineering necessity. My new 2018 Yamaha SMAX (155cc) by comparison has a bore and stroke of 58.0mm x 58.7mm, just a tiny bit bigger. (I'll do a separate thread comparing my SMAX to my old PCX150 soon.). So according to your California DMV link, my 155cc SMAX as well as 153cc 2015-2018 PCX150's are classified as "motorcycles" while the new 149cc 2019 PCX150 is technically a "motor-driven cycle".
Looking forward to reading your comparison of the SMax vs. PCX 150. I've heard the SMax will travel well into the 70 MPH range. . .and some reports have it touching 80 MPH. :o

When I bought the Zuma 125 I did sit on an SMax. What I first noticed was the ergonomics. The seat was comfortable. . .more comfortable than the PCX. . .at least for me. . .but the knee room felt a bit limited. It wasn't obtrusive but it wasn't abundant either. With more time and analysis I think it's something that sub-six footers could get quickly used to. It's nice that they mounted the DOT turn signal stalks on the fairing instead of on the handlebar as they are on the Zuma. That said at the time I was looking for a machine that was a bit more rugged with some off road capability and yet be able to do 50 MPH plus. I was going to be trading in my Genuine Roughhouse and PCX and needed something that sort of combined the better qualities of both. The new disc brakes and the abundant under seat storage of the new Zuma really impressed me. Plus for not a ton of more money I could get the Yamaha accessory wind screen and luggage rack. Bottom line is I'm quite pleased with 2018 Zuma 125 and it does what I needed it to for around town and some forest roads. I haven't broken any turn signals on it yet either. . .they are mounted up high and forward enough from the handlebar. :D
100_5286a.jpg
FWIW Honda and Yamaha have been working together on an electric motorcycle project . . .. :geek:

As time marches on I will be replacing my Suzuki Bandit 1200 as I've mentioned before here and am looking for a good replacement at least 100 lbs lighter and only needs to go half as fast. ;)