ACF-50 review

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: ACF-50 review

Post by you you »

Martin J wrote:As soon as my brand new scooter arrived, I covered the tyres and brake disc with blankets then sprayed a mist of acf50 into the body cavity using a spray gun. The mist travelled along the bodywork and emerged around the steering yoke, proving good coverage from front to back. I also unplugged any multi connectors I could find and gave the contacts a squirt too. A quick spray around the front yoke underneath, a wipe with a rag wetted with acf and I can shrug off any winter corrosion. (Hopefully) :roll:

OK. Just be very careful about this. I'm a great fan of preventing corrosion and ACF-50 but I'm starting to get a tad worried
Martin J
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by Martin J »

Apparently, a light misting of acf is the best way to apply it to new clean surfaces. The aerosols are crap for this, and tend to squirt a stream instead. I adjusted the spray gun to fire a fine mist of the stuff so it would find every nook and cranny.
Yamaha 900 Diversion '96
Suzuki GS550E '81
Benelli TRK502 '21
Honda PCX 125 '18
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Boeshield T-9 is much easier to work with after application. Polishes very quickly to a glossy finish suitable for head and tail light len's, painted finishes, chrome, aluminum, glass etc. All hardware and electronics can be sprayed or wiped down as well clearly making it the superior choice of anti-corrosion products. Boeing wins this one... made in the USA! 8)

ACF-50 remains greasy until rinse and wipe down never reaching a polished result on your finer finishes to my standards. It will attract road grit until after the first good wash and wax so too much work for the meticulous motorbike enthusiast who likes pretty as much as performance. If it's all you've got please use ACF-50. It's still far better than nothing for the all weather rider.

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Tips hat to Eiron 8)

Boeshield T-9 is the ticket boys and girls if you can find it in decent quantity. Windscreen test did it for me hands down Boeshield T-9 is the easier anti- corrosion product with polishing properties as the deal breaker. Now to get a tub of it cheap as possible and find the proper application sprayer.

Product description;
Unique solvent and paraffin wax formula penetrates, cleans and displaces moisture. Dries to a thin film that lubricates and protects for hundreds of miles. Will not wash off or pick up dirt.

Application;
Apply and allow to penetrate and dry for 2 hours or more, wipe off excess.
Attachments
anti-C.jpg
anti-C.jpg (72.77 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
anti corrosive.jpg
anti corrosive.jpg (90.31 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Don't get this stuff on your saddle, upholstery or anything else you don't want it coating.

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm on to Amazon now.

ACF is excellent in its intended role. An anti corrosion oil. You wouldn't coat your whole bike with it and expect it to buff up :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:ACF is excellent in its intended role. An anti corrosion oil. You wouldn't coat your whole bike with it and expect it to buff up :lol:
I thought that's what we were doing youyou :D No one told me not to hose down with ACF-50. If you read the can there are no instructions at all ;) I found that a little peculiar for civilian marketing but not unusual for military supplies. I guarantee you if these products were developed for military use to protect vehicles and electronics they need to be general purpose and very forgiving coming out of an aerosol can. We soldiers don't have time for peewee pads or polishing anything. ACF-50 fills that bill perfectly in the field, just not for the civilian Harley riding pretty if you have the choice of Boeshield IMO. Order a bottle youyou and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have just enough to do a bicycle :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:ACF is excellent in its intended role. An anti corrosion oil. You wouldn't coat your whole bike with it and expect it to buff up :lol:
I thought that's what we were doing youyou :D No one told me not to hose down with ACF-50. If you read the can there are no instructions at all ;) I found that a little peculiar for civilian marketing but not unusual for military supplies. I guarantee you if these products were developed for military use to protect vehicles and electronics they need to be general purpose and very forgiving coming out of an aerosol can. We soldiers don't have time for peewee pads or polishing anything. ACF-50 fills that bill perfectly in the field, just not for the civilian Harley riding pretty if you have the choice of Boeshield IMO. Order a bottle youyou and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have just enough to do a bicycle :roll:

Yes ill try it. Looking forward to it in a geeky way.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I've been using Boeshied around my woodshop for over a decade. The little bottle will go a long way. Homie - I'll bet you could do the entire Buell at least five times with it. Not that you have to now, of course....
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thank ya Eiron and homie ;)
Just ordered 4oz drip bottle myself (in the Amazon) after reading here, and then here: https://boeshield.com/automotive-motorcycle/

This: My antique bicycles need some attention. Antique? Ouch! time do fly

And....to 2yous, (as you mentioned earlier in this thread), I ordered some pup pads (XXL). I shall place them under my scoot's belly on my lift's platform. It will be the Perfect catch-all @ 26" x 30"
https://www.amazon.com/OUT-Heavy-Duty-P ... ef=sr_1_17

Thanks fam! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Thank ya Eiron and homie ;)
Just ordered 4oz drip bottle myself (in the Amazon) after reading here, and then here: https://boeshield.com/automotive-motorcycle/

This: My antique bicycles need some attention. Antique? Ouch! time do fly

And....to 2yous, (as you mentioned earlier in this thread), I ordered some pup pads (XXL). I shall place them under my scoot's belly on my lift's platform. It will be the Perfect catch-all @ 26" x 30"
https://www.amazon.com/OUT-Heavy-Duty-P ... ef=sr_1_17

Thanks fam! 8)
Havent you got an oil extractor yet?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yeppie! Ya know me! In small, medium and large varieties :lol:

Fact is the (dip stick) oil portal is so small/narrow for the extractor's fat hose. I have to adapt a smaller hose to each extractor's hose in order to get it inside to draw at least 95%.
Truth? I could use a syringe and just take my time. Sitting on my roll-away shop stool of course, beer in other hand. Not so Chintzy :lol:

What is it about the drip method that keeps me going back? Old and old fashioned, I guess.
No worries 2yous, I will hook up with one of the 3 in a few weeks, before tucking WN in ;)

This might be the mothership extractor (I posted several years back) that you might remember...in size large
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (120.9 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Yeppie! Ya know me! In small, medium and large varieties :lol:

Fact is the (dip stick) oil portal is so small/narrow for the extractor's fat hose. I have to adapt a smaller hose to each extractor's hose in order to get it inside to draw at least 95%.
Truth? I could use a syringe and just take my time. Sitting on my roll-away shop stool of course, beer in other hand. Not so Chintzy :lol:

What is it about the drip method that keeps me going back? Old and old fashioned, I guess.
No worries 2yous, I will hook up with one of the 3 in a few weeks, before tucking WN in ;)

This might be the mothership extractor (I posted several years back) that you might remember...in size large

I should have known :roll: :lol:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

homie wrote:Boeshield T-9 is much easier to work with after application. Polishes very quickly to a glossy finish suitable for head and tail light len's, painted finishes, chrome, aluminum, glass etc. All hardware and electronics can be sprayed or wiped down as well clearly making it the superior choice of anti-corrosion products. Boeing wins this one... made in the USA! 8)

ACF-50 remains greasy until rinse and wipe down never reaching a polished result on your finer finishes to my standards. It will attract road grit until after the first good wash and wax so too much work for the meticulous motorbike enthusiast who likes pretty as much as performance. If it's all you've got please use ACF-50. It's still far better than nothing for the all weather rider.

Yeah, well - of course few are shooting ACF-50 on panels to prevent corrosion.
Best spray finish for panels which I've found is the "Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish"

Used it on scooters and CB500X & an R6 with great results.

Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I was going to purchase a 12oz spray can of Boeshield T9 for about £20 delivered (it's harder to buy in the UK for a reasonable price)/ From the discussion it seems to leave a protective coat that does not attact as much dirt and dust as much as ACF-50, however searching google it seems to get mixed reviews with many saying it does little to stop rust in salty conditions - always the way, good and bad reviews for most things.
For now, and seeing my bike is over 4 years old with no protection added so far, I just bought an own brand Morrisons can of WD-40 equivalent and sprayed that on various nuts, bolts and around the steering column brace. It gets good reviews and is basically WD40 by another name.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:I was going to purchase a 12oz spray can of Boeshield T9 for about £20 delivered (it's harder to buy in the UK for a reasonable price)/ From the discussion it seems to leave a protective coat that does not attact as much dirt and dust as much as ACF-50, however searching google it seems to get mixed reviews with many saying it does little to stop rust in salty conditions - always the way, good and bad reviews for most things.
For now, and seeing my bike is over 4 years old with no protection added so far, I just bought an own brand Morrisons can of WD-40 equivalent and sprayed that on various nuts, bolts and around the steering column brace. It gets good reviews and is basically WD40 by another name.

It’ll be good enough.

I buy liquid wd40 in bulk, mix it with ACF 50 and use from a mist bottle. When it washes of I reapply. When the winter has gone I power wash off.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Update on bathing my bikes in ACF50
After the initial application of ACF50, a few light rinses with wipe downs, riding only in climate conditions since posting.

I'm comforted knowing humidity, moist days and condensation won't be creeping on my bikes but there's this to report.

Grime is accumulating in the tightest pockets and crevices where I'd never had issue before. I can't say i like to see this nor will I be able to put the bikes down for winter with this shadowy dust. You cant get to these tight places all over the bike with rags and it forces me to consider power washing for the first time o_O For all the good it might do using ACF50 I'll end up doing what I swore I'd never do.

This report means nothing to most of you without OCD but I'll most likely limit my use of these products to application just before winter sleep.
Attachments
grime.jpg
grime.jpg (96.01 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I've stumbled across many interesting tests of protection products for bicylcles, motorbikes and tools, and this set of tests is quite an eye opener for epic failures, although each product may fair better for different uses (no ACF-50 in this test!)
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/anti-c ... 73581.html
T9 seems to get a mixed bag of good and bad reviews for rust protection from actual users.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iceman's find is excellent! http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/anti-c ... 73581.html

I've never heard of Fluid Film but WD-40 is certainly impressive and readily available & affordable. Really appreciate the clarity on this. youyou was on the right track all along with WD-40 products.

Winners are for salt water protection;
Fluid Film
WD-40 long term corrosion inhibitor

Who knew? Probably still attract dust and road grit but why pay more for less protection. https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-300038-Spe ... 14QHTJV6JX
Attachments
rust2.JPG
rust2.JPG (40.78 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
rust.jpg
rust.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
masator
Year: 2018
Color: Red

Post by masator »

I really like ACF-50, it's worth the investment.