Image associated with scooter riding

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Image associated with scooter riding

Post by fish »

Many N. Americans consider scooter riding less than a virile method of transport.*

Anyone else notice that?
Does it bother you?
Might that be related to the oft-installed aftermarket mufflers to gain noise (and little else) from their scooter?

My first ride was a white Honda motorcycle on which my wife painted flowers, in the 60's.
6 kids and a half century later - I still care less than a flying fig what others think.

Fish
*A salesman at my multi brand motorcycle/ATV/Scooter dealership mentioned "this difficult" scooter image, here in rural Ohio.

Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Image associated with scooter riding

Post by Jge64 »

I def think this exists, I think it stems from the 50cc flat floor vespa type configurations rather than the pcx/forza layout. I have had several people over the last sev years remark the pcx "does not look like a scooter", it also helps to call it a "bike" rather than the "S-word"......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It's complicated . . . very complicated . . . yet very simple.

It basically boils down to Marketing 101 and herd mentality.

A Bower Bird trying to win it's mate . . ..

What a salesman! It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing! Sell Sell Sell. . .. :lol:

FWIW I ride what I choose to ride and don't care what anybody else thinks either. I remember when what were considered cool bikes to have are now looked at as "entry level" machines because the companies just want consumers to make decisions that will move them to purchase a more elaborate higher priced product. The more things change the more they stay the same. :roll: :lol: ;)
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

It's so easy to sell an "image" to people. Most of them are struggling to work out who they really are and therefore following the crowd is the simplest solution. Makes them feel part of "it". I can't blame them as insecurity is fairly widespread these days - an advertisers dream.

Other folks know exactly who they are and just get on with it - no need to follow the herd.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

The image associated with scooter riding is the female genitalia.

And I concur, it's the flat footboard, Vespa-styled scooters that bring up that imagine by Macho American Men. Very first day I bought my PCX, I took it to an auto parts store and there guys behind the counter were asking me if that was a motorcycle or a scooter. Even tho I don't really care what people think about me, I prefer that they call my bike a bike as well. ;)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

grndslm wrote:The image associated with scooter riding is the female genitalia.

And I concur, it's the flat footboard, Vespa-styled scooters that bring up that imagine by Macho American Men. Very first day I bought my PCX, I took it to an auto parts store and there guys behind the counter were asking me if that was a motorcycle or a scooter. Even tho I don't really care what people think about me, I prefer that they call my bike a bike as well. ;)
Very true, and of course lots of male insecurities creating the need for big and bad.. Just like a man needing a pit bull dog.. The 50's bad ass cycle clubs like the hells angels and the movie Easy Rider has a lot to do with it and the stereotyping is key why motorcycles are big in the US. If they would stop referring to the bigger bikes as scooters and that little boy image would diminish..but as long as they use the term scooter it will be a scooter.. In Europe and Asia I think wording means nothing but here in America macho means motor cycle. (psychology 101 folks)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

After WWII when the Vets came home some of them found riding motorcycles as a way to relieve stress and deal with PTSD (shell shock as they once called it) and some of them just continued riding because of the camaraderie that they had become used to while serving.

The "Riot" back in 1947 at Hollister, CA was sort of a corner stone in the creation of the image that sparks thoughts of drunkenness and disorderly conduct in the streets when people hear the word motorcycles today. But not so much when they hear "scooter". For me it's "Roman Holiday" and that Italian old world architecture and narrow streets that I think of. :geek:

That said, and to keep with the spirit of the season, I'll grab my "The Wild One" DVD and play it for "Ground Hog's Day" this year instead of "Ground Hog's Day". Hog . . . get it? But Brando (Johnny) rode a Triumph. . .. :lol:

Lee Marvin had served in the military during the war and did a spectacular job in the movie also. Brando tried to enlist but was 4-F due to an old football injury on his knee.

Here's a link to the history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollister_riot
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Clip from Chewin' The Fat, Scottish comedy sketch show.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

easyrider wrote:
grndslm wrote:The image associated with scooter riding is the female genitalia.

And I concur, it's the flat footboard, Vespa-styled scooters that bring up that image by Macho American Men. Very first day I bought my PCX, I took it to an auto parts store and there guys behind the counter were asking me if that was a motorcycle or a scooter. Even tho I don't really care what people think about me, I prefer that they call my bike a bike as well. ;)
Very true, and of course lots of male insecurities creating the need for big and bad.. Just like a man needing a pit bull dog.. The 50's bad ass cycle clubs like the hells angels and the movie Easy Rider has a lot to do with it and the stereotyping is key why motorcycles are big in the US. If they would stop referring to the bigger bikes as scooters and that little boy image would diminish..but as long as they use the term scooter it will be a scooter.. In Europe and Asia I think wording means nothing but here in America macho means motor cycle. (psychology 101 folks)
Honestly, I've only seen one other person on a PCX150 since I got mine not quite 2 years ago. I went to several dealers in the past week, and not one of their salesmen push the PCX. One of them said, "We'll go on a road trip and see often the PCX needs to refuel while trying to keep up to my 1400 cc bike." I don't think he knew that the PCX gets over 100 mpg. And really, it's foolish that people don't associate this bike with multiple needs for both transportation and hooliganism.

The only reason I even found out about the PCX150 is because I was searching for a Grom on Craigslist. And one of the sellers posted the PCX150, which I'd never heard of, with the title "... Like a Grom". It got my attention, and then logic dictated ZERO reasons for me to keep considering a Grom. Sure a Grom would be fun, but a PCX would be more fun, get better gas mileage, allow me to become more Zen with the road as I remove shifting entirely from my mind, place the rear brake lever in a far more intuitive and practical location, provide for super cheap and easy transmission modification (variator + rollers/sliders) leading to both quicker acceleration and top end, and even give ample storage for a full face helmet + jacket... not to mention that empty void above the tank that provides for even more storage without even considering trunks or saddle bags -- the Givi Tunnel Bag --> https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php? ... 51#p103324 .

Looks like a BIKE to me. ;)

OH God, I love the PCX 150 !!! Life Pro Tip: If you're ever selling your PCX and want top dollar, make sure to put "Like a Grom" in the title, otherwise no one will see it.