prices US vs Europe

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

prices US vs Europe

Post by Ganglylamb »

<rant mode on>

So today I noticed that my medium sized givi windscreen on my pcx was making some rattling noise at idle engine speed. Got home and took the part just below the windscreen off, next I checked the 4 bolts which hold the windscreen in place. Maybe it is due to the cold so the rubber rings surrounding the bolts shrunk a bit. But anyhow I can not tighten the bolts any more but still there is a small space between the windshield and the bolts causing the windscreen to have some leeway and as such causing the rattling.

Went online and searched for these rubber rings on the official honda dealer website for Belgium: https://www.bike-parts-honda.be/honda-m ... 1112KVG900 => 3.39€ ;
went to partzilla: https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 12-KVG-900 => 0.18$.

That is including currency: 3.39€/0.159 € = 21.32 times more expensive o_O ...

Let's include shipping:
partzilla = + $7.99 (from a previous order which was also only small bits and pieces- could not get an estimate on this item specifically)= 7.06 €
honda.be = 7.49 €

In total:
partzilla: 4*0.159 + 7.06=7.696 €
honda.be: 4*3.39 + 7.49= 21.05 €
So including shipping the difference becomes 2.73 times more expensive to order it from the official dealer in Belgium compared to partzilla which ships from across the Atlantic.

Something is clearly wrong with this - they are exactly the same parts, at least it should be.

I think I am going to make a list of small parts which are at this moment not essential but would be nice to have and replace / install on my pcx, such that as soon as I hit 22 € - shipping cost of partzilla I order them. 22€ as this is the limit for customs in Belgium without having to pay anything extra.

<rant mode off>

Anyhow, it snowed the past two days so I'm off to make a snowman in the garden and watch it melt during the next few days. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: prices US vs Europe

Post by Mel46 »

I bought some gasket material and made my own washers. You could use any number of left over things for them. I think all of those washers shrink or wear out eventually. Go to a hardware store and look around. I am sure that you can get some good ideas.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

bought some gasket material and made my own washers. You could use any number of left over things for them. I think all of those washers shrink or wear out eventually. Go to a hardware store and look around. I am sure that you can get some good ideas.
X2

I've had quite a number of bikes over the years and some of the orings/gaskets and seals I still find collecting dust do get put to other uses.

These days I clearly bag and tag parts for the machines I currently own . . . but years ago not so much. :geek:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

("I think I am going to make a list of small parts which are at this moment not essential but would be nice to have and replace / install on my pcx, such that as soon as I hit 22 € - shipping cost of partzilla I order them. 22€ as this is the limit for customs in Belgium without having to pay anything extra...…")

Sounds like a great idea! I ran into the same thing with small Suzuki parts - find a better source for OEM parts and buy there!

Snow too dry here for snowmen. Resisting the impulse to start one of my scooters (or the R6 or the 500X) just to hear the motor run.....

Ride safe, Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I got a PCX CVT drivebelt direct from Thailand including airmail for a fraction of the UK price.

If you want a real eye opener look at the cost of brake calipers or worse, ABS pumps. Eek!
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Mel46 wrote:I bought some gasket material and made my own washers. You could use any number of left over things for them. I think all of those washers shrink or wear out eventually. Go to a hardware store and look around. I am sure that you can get some good ideas.
I made my own washers as you suggested - the rattling is gone and didn't cost a thing :).

The snow has melted and so has my snowman :| .But at least that meant I got my daily commute on the PCX again to start the day happy and go back home with a smile. The more cars I pass lane splitting the happier I arrive either at work or at home (yes - it's legal here just don't go faster than 50km/h with a maximum difference of 20km/h to the iron cages sitting as a duck).
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Post by cnikonpete »

I’m afraid we are a sitting duck for exorbitant spares prices in the UK,and possibly the whole EU, don’t know who or what is piling on the pennies, somebody is making a mint .
The bits are made in Thailand?,maybe the USA has a low tariff.