"5 Year Old Tires"

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

"5 Year Old Tires"

Post by fish »

Many advise that a motorcycle or scooter tire should be replaced after 5 years of use. (clock starts when tire is installed on the bike)
Some also advise that tires should be replaced after 5 years of age. (clock starts when tire comes from the mold)

Michelin suggests that motorcycle/scooter tires be replaced after 10 years of use.
Michelin says tires in use for 5 years should be inspected yearly by a professional.
Michelin says damaged, plugged, worn to wear limits tires should be replaced.

Members - Surely many riders have pushed their tires past these conditions - so, please post your experience of the motorcycle/scooter tire failing on the road while in use - which was NOT due to a puncture. Personally, I am aware of off-road cyclists experiencing tire failures - but I have never heard of a street bike doing the same. So, your story will be of interest.

Thanks, Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: "5 Year Old Tires"

Post by gn2 »

Never had a tyre on a bike that long, usually wear them down in a few months.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Great day to elaborate on flat tires. The weather is like something from a Stephen King movie. Everything is about to turn from water to rock hard ice in just a matter of a few hours. o_O

Since you are asking about tire experiences not related to punctures I can only say that back in the '80's I did have a rear tire on my Yamaha 650 that looked like somebody had stabbed it hundreds of times with a sowing needle or something. I think it was a Continental but it was a long time ago so it may have been something else. I remember the Yamaha dealer and his mechanic asking me what I had been riding on . . . it was a weird. Nonetheless I had new tires remounted front and rear.

The only thing I can think of was that when the rubber was curing in the mold it got bubbles or something in it and although it looked OK on the tread surface when it was new the little holes started to appear as the mileage wore on. Nothing popped. It was a tubed tire . . . had the conventional spoke wheels. :geek:

A Twilight Zone experience for sure. . .. :roll:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Doesn’t how the bike is stored - outside in the sun & UV .vs. in a garage - have some effect on this ?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Doesn’t how the bike is stored - outside in the sun & UV .vs. in a garage - have some effect on this ?
Not sure if you were responding to my post or not but the little holes were on the road side mating surface of the tread . . . not on the walls of the tire. And they were all pretty much the same size. It was just on the one tire . . . the front tire was fine with just normal wear.

As far as sunlight effecting tires I can tell you from first hand experience that on my utility trailer the tire that sees most of the direct sunlight has aged more quickly than the side that sees mostly shade. The cracks and signs of deterioration are clearly visible but on the tire that's mostly in shade it looks in really good shape. That said I plan on getting new tires for it this year and have the bearings greased too. :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Back in the mid 1960s I had a Harley that I rode till there was no tread left on the front or rear tires. Eventually one of them blew while I was on the road. Not much you can do but ride it till the bike stops itself. Since I was in West Texas and there were no ditches, I rode it off of the road and let the sandy dirt slow it to a stop. Then I walked. Even 5 miles in that sun was a long walk.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers