Parking on a slope issue

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

princebuster
Year: 2019
Color: Red

Parking on a slope issue

Post by princebuster »

Hi,

Just looking for some advice here, attached is a photo of how my PCX is currently parked up.
The road next to it is a narrow no through road, leading up to the main road 25 meters from the left of the car park.

So hill starts each time I set off, which was fine when I set off for its first real run out.
70 miles later, came back and had a bit of difficulty parking it where it is now.
It's good for security purposes, and I have the side (under a nice block of wood) and centre stand up, and the parking space is deep enough so the car could be parked 1.5-2 meters from the back wall, so I could slowly drive round the car against the back wall and park it like so.

If you could share any other ideas that would be great, unfortunately, all the other spaces are private, so just have this space in the pic.

Thanks!
Attachments
pcxparking.jpg
pcxparking.jpg (965.18 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300

Re: Parking on a slope issue

Post by Oldie »

When arriving home, ride straight into your space and leave the bike on it's sidestand. Next time out, sit on the bike and paddle backwards with your feet to get back out. Hold rear brake as you accelerate away.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Is the land sinking over a tin mine? Sorry. . .just kidding. LOL!!! :lol:

It is an awkward position. Good luck with that. It's too bad there wasn't something you could tie up to on the uphill wall to keep it from rolling off a side stand.

I'm not recommending any suggestions here but if it were my dilemma, and not knowing if others are going to use the space either side of the Audi, I would try to park it either on the center stand (if you can get a piece of something flat, wide, and firm to put under it so the center stand won't slip through a crevice) or use the side stand but chuck the wheels so it won't roll back and have the front wheel facing up hill for both uses. That said, right now you have a system that seems to be working so far. It's too bad the U.K. models don't get the brake lock feature that the ones do on our side of the pond.

The only configurations I can think of by parking it with the front wheel on the "uphill" end and relative to the Audi would be like a number 7 or letter L, a letter T, or directly in front or behind the car (parallel with the bumpers). But getting access to get in and out will be priority. If it's your car then you would have more control over that situation. If you parked in front or behind it then it would only effect your access. :geek:

Again. . .awkward indeed. :roll:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Wait! Isn't the side stand on the left? If you put the side stand down the bike will almost be upright. Not good. Wind could knock it over.

You could build a small, level platform for your bike with a small ramp to go up and down off of. If you don't have the tools or skills to build it, have someone do it for you. It should not be too difficult since you are really only making the space level.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Park it at a 45 degree angle to the fence with the front pointing uphill and use the sidestand.
To get it in there, stop on the street at the top and paddle it backwards down hill with your feet.
Chain the rear wheel to the fence.
Easy.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Park it at a 45 degree angle to the fence with the front pointing uphill and use the sidestand.
To get it in there, stop on the street at the top and paddle it backwards down hill with your feet.
Easy.

This.

Watch the surface in the wet.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Park it at a 45 degree angle to the fence with the front pointing uphill and use the sidestand.
Easy.
gn2 - Using the fence as a fail safe for an unintended roll due to wind or whatever is a most excellent idea. Plus securing the rear wheel to the fence adds additional protection against theft.

princebuster - Since it appears that PCX has a top box then perhaps lining it up kitty corner against the back wall and downhill slope side fence using the cover or cover and some kind of material secured to the top box as an insulator against scuffs or scratches may help too. It would reduce the roll factor by sort of snugging it into a "notch". See if you can send us a pic when you have found what works best.

I'm going to see about a cold Heineken. :lol:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Get a sheet of 3/4 plywood and some 2x6s and make a platform to level it out. Angle the scoot back onto it from the front corner that’s even with the ground. ........ Or rent some space nearby where it’s level- and maybe under cover !!
princebuster

Post by princebuster »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, much appreciated.
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018 Forza 125
Color: Silver/Pacific

Post by Spaguar »

princebuster, could you share a link where you've purchased your bike cover? Whatever I tried on my Forza is always too short to cover the fully extended windshield, the mirrors and the top box. Yours seams to be the right size if the front part is wide enough for Forza's mirrors.

As for the parking, I would park the same way as you did on your photo but would try to fix a small leveled platform for the center stand. Such a platform would also prevent the center stand from getting between the stone cubes. Like oldie wrote : "When arriving home, ride straight into your space" but I would always use a center stand, not the side stand.
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
ImageImageImage
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300

Post by Oldie »

Spaguar - it's a PCX, not a Forza (mistake in original introduction).
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

As for the parking, I would park the same way as you did on your photo but would try to fix a small leveled platform for the center stand. Such a platform would also prevent the center stand from getting between the stone cubes.
Bingo +1 ....... I like this suggestion better than the one I made.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Maybe you could slice off a couple inches of your sidestand so you'd have a normal lean when parked on that slope - but then you'd have to remember to only use your centerstand everywhere else - LOL
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Maybe you could slice off a couple inches of your sidestand so you'd have a normal lean when parked on that slope - but then you'd have to remember to only use your centerstand everywhere else - LOL
You may actually be onto something there. . .but instead of shortening the side stand. . .let the side stand sink down further. . .leaning onto the uphill side of course. . .front wheel pointed to the back wall. :geek:

IF there was a crevice between those pavers that the side stand fit into rather nicely and it had a firm bottom that allowed the lean angle to be appropriate then it could be the "go to" spot to park the PCX every time. That said it would still probably be a good idea to chuck the wheels. If found I'd mark it with some chalk or something until I got used to where it was. Call me crazy! :lol:
princebuster

Post by princebuster »

Old Grinner wrote:
You may actually be onto something there. . .but instead of shortening the side stand. . .let the side stand sink down further. . .leaning onto the uphill side of course. . .front wheel pointed to the back wall. :geek:

IF there was a crevice between those pavers that the side stand fit into rather nicely and it had a firm bottom that allowed the lean angle to be appropriate then it could be the "go to" spot to park the PCX every time. That said it would still probably be a good idea to chuck the wheels. If found I'd mark it with some chalk or something until I got used to where it was. Call me crazy! :lol:
I think I will try this as an option, roll in so from week is facing back wall and paddle out backward when I want to leave... but the more permanent one is to make an area level at the bottom for the centre stand. Which I will think about and do over the next couple of weeks!
Thanks for all your suggestions
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Spaguar »

Oldie wrote:Spaguar - it's a PCX, not a Forza (mistake in original introduction).
Yes, I know. It's his cover that I am interested in in order to find out if it would fit my Forza.
ImageImageImage
princebuster

Post by princebuster »

Spaguar wrote:
Oldie wrote:Spaguar - it's a PCX, not a Forza (mistake in original introduction).
Yes, I know. It's his cover that I am interested in in order to find out if it would fit my Forza.
Hi Spaguar, it is Big Hippo Motorcycle Cover, size XXL - got it through Amazon, but no longer there - in the UK store anyway.
Does the job for me.
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Spaguar »

Thanks, Princebuster!
ImageImageImage