I want to know how to strap a bike to a trailer

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

I want to know how to strap a bike to a trailer

Post by kramnala58 »

Hey PCX community, I know I have seen a thread on here (likely a few years ago) on how to strap a motorbike to a trailer. I can't find it. Does anyone know what thread it is?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: I want to know how to strap a bike to a trailer

Post by GeorgeSK »

I can't help you with the thread, but I can describe how I secure the scoot in my pickup truck. I have the following items:
3 ratchet straps
2 loops of nylon or kevlar strapping (you could use rope, but choose serious rope like 1/4" Sta-Set or other sailing line)

I get the scoot into the truck and have it on its side stand. I put a loop around each side of the handlebar so that the hooks of the ratchet straps are not actually hooking onto the scooter, and the path of the straps when taut will not rub on plastics. I roughly set the sidestand side strap so that he bike can come up a few inches. I next use the ratchet on the other side's strap to bring the bike to vertical. Now crank a bit on each side until the fork is compressed some. Toss the third strap over the seat and compress the rear shock a bit. Give everything a good hard shake. If nothing seems wiggly, you are off.

Be aware that my wheel is up against a 4x4 along the back of the truck bed (fender would otherwise rub the bed) and my scoot is parallel to the line of travel. If you are securing the scoot on a trailer cross-wise, you should consider running the straps so that you limit any possibility of right/left rolling, or just add another strap or line from a handlebar forward and/or back as a preventer. That line would not have to be super-strong, but I would avoid something really elastic (like paracord).
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

See link below. I have one of these I use on my utility trailer. Fortunately I've only needed it a few times but nice to have. ;)

Pingle Chocks are of good quality IMHO.

TBH I've only used it for my motorcycles so far. . .haven't tried it with the PCX yet. That being said I think it should work because the front wheel on the PCX is more like a motorcycle than a scoot with a 10 inch fat tire. You could always ask someone at the Pingle for technical information about any concerns you have. The phone number is listed at the top of their web page. . .plus they also have a contact page. :geek:

I've got the one you can install and remove as needed so I maintain the full use of my trailer. It's a pressure treated wood bed type trailer. Using the chock and straps gives an extra measure of confidence.

Here's a link. Something to think about. 8)

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/wheel-chocks.asp
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Thanks for the info. I will be bringing my Majesty to Maine on a U-Haul trailer. They won't rent a motorcycle trailer for a one-way trip, so I am stuck with a 5'x9' open trailer. I would like to pick up a front wheel chock if I can find one that can be fastened to the trailer floor with incurring a damage fee for the trailer.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x9-Util ... Rental/RT/

Kram, I read up on the 5x9 trailer you mentioned. Click and Read down on page above.
Seems to me that a "newer 5x9 model" can be had with a ramp, an integrated cycle chock and heavy duty tie down points.
Perhaps there's another dealer nearby that might have this Newer model with added features?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Great suggestion WN! :D

Another great reason to participate in this forum. . .. ;)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Thanks WN.

I am not sure which 5x9 trailer U-Haul will give me. They have two 5x9 models and only allow the one for a one-way trip. The picture they show with my reservation seems to be with the integrated chock, but they did not guarantee it when I made my reservation. When I get back to NY in 2 weeks, I will stop at the agent/dealer to see if he can guarantee one or the other.

I hadn't planned on bringing my bike to Maine, but now that it looks like we will here, probably until the end of August, if not longer, its worth bringing it.
IvyGodivy
Year: TBD
Color: TBD

Post by IvyGodivy »

Easy. Two ratchet straps one on each handle bar mounted to the trailer.
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

IvyGodivy wrote:Easy. Two ratchet straps one on each handle bar mounted to the trailer.
This.

I have trailered bikes innumerable times. First off...some ground rules. I don't do it the way some others do; but I will NOT get in a flame war over this. Your money, your choice. I have my reasons and logic behind them.

First off...do not use side OR center stands. That trailer is rough-riding; and the stands are not designed to take the bouncing. Set it up straight vertical, with all the weight on the tires.

Double your straps, in case one fails or slips. The straps will be 100 percent of what keeps the machine up and down (they would be anyway; the sidestand is not designed for this).

Do not tie down the triple tree/fork. Use the bars. Do not compress the front forks - over the hours you could blow a seal. If at all possible, compensate for this by strapping the tire down on the trailer (you can do this with a mesh-grating trailer).

On the rear, put your straps from low on the trailer, FORWARD of the rear tie point, over the top - seat if it's sturdy enough; frame if you want to remove the seat (not applicable with a PCX) and then to either the rider peg or passenger peg. Or a frame point near there. Cross your straps - left side trailer to right-side rider peg and vice versa. For added stability you can strap the frame, direct, left to left and right to right, to prevent the rear from shooting out.

Important: Have your tie-down FORWARD of the tie point of the bike. Your rear straps should be urging the bike forward. You do not want to have it start moving rearward in fast stops or if you get hit.

Shake it to make sure it's snug. And after 15 minutes, snug down again.

You need about 8-10 straps; and be sure to have spares. You WILL have some find a way to fray and wear through.

Those who don't agree: You can tell the OP why you don't. I've hauled bikes without damage from Cleveland to Dallas and to my current home in the Five Valleys of Montana.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Here is what I did.

I ended up buying a 5'x8' trailer from Tractor Supply instead of renting one from U-Haul. I fastened 4 D-rings to the floor to use as anchor points. I also screwed at $13 motorcycle wheel chock at the front of the trailer. I got it at Harbor Freight. It turned out to be better than the more expensive ones because I had to spread the opening as it was rubbing again the brake disk, being that the front wheel is considerably smaller (13") than a typical motorcycle wheel.

After loading the bike I ran 2 ratchet-straps forward from the handle grips (1 on each) and two ratchet-straps from the lower mounting point of the rear shocks, holding the bike forward. I did not use the center or side stands. It traveled without moving an inch for the 520 mile trip, some of it over some fairly bumpy roads.

I used 4 straps in total and I suppose I could have double them us in case one broke, but that is why I have insurance.
20180615_114935245_iOS Resize.jpg
20180615_114935245_iOS Resize.jpg (121.28 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think you did a good job. However, keep in mind that when to vehicle moves forward the scooter will want to move backward, but when you brake the bike will want to keep moving forward. With that in mind, tie the bike for both forward and rearward movement. You also want to make sure that the bike will remain tied down in an accident. Consider a strap across the seat, making sure you ratchet it so that the rear shocks are compressed some.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, so all I can do is try to point out what the bike will want to do. I spent much of my lifetime tying down cargo on aircraft and aircraft on ships. It is easy to be surprised when you thought you had everything secure.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers