PCX Replacements

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

PCX Replacements

Post by flyingzonker »

A few days ago riding, and driving, through my 150,000 population city in the middle of the mid-west, what do I see but a west coast phenomenon all over the place, namely LIMEBIKES! Limebike is a company that rents bikes, and now ebikes and escooters, on a phone-based basis that, according to Limebike, is affordable and easy to use. On many street corners and in front of many commercial and public buildings the company has parked ranks of new and pretty, I must say, bikes. They have a lock attached to the back wheel that can be opened by scanning with a downloadable ap. You get to ride 30 mins for a dollar. The best part is you can leave the bike "anyplace" , which I suppose, means anyplace where it is public enough for someone else to find and use it.

I am deeply skeptical about this concept. I don't see why an enterprising thief with a van can't go around collecting these bikes--they are not docked, but free standing and quite easy to hoist, one in each hand, into a waiting vehicle. I suppose the company had equipped the bikes with some kind of chip that police can use to find any that get pinched...but since when are police these days supplied with enough time to hunt stolen bikes?

But...who knows. It might work. If so, it would be a pollution buster--of small effect to be sure--and a great reliever of traffic congestion downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVl0czHuOY
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX Replacements

Post by lillypinkjenny »

flyingzonker wrote:A few days ago riding, and driving, through my 150,000 population city in the middle of the mid-west, what do I see but a west coast phenomenon all over the place, namely LIMEBIKES! Limebike is a company that rents bikes, and now ebikes and escooters, on a phone-based basis that, according to Limebike, is affordable and easy to use. On many street corners and in front of many commercial and public buildings the company has parked ranks of new and pretty, I must say, bikes. They have a lock attached to the back wheel that can be opened by scanning with a downloadable ap. You get to ride 30 mins for a dollar. The best part is you can leave the bike "anyplace" , which I suppose, means anyplace where it is public enough for someone else to find and use it.

I am deeply skeptical about this concept. I don't see why an enterprising thief with a van can't go around collecting these bikes--they are not docked, but free standing and quite easy to hoist, one in each hand, into a waiting vehicle. I suppose the company had equipped the bikes with some kind of chip that police can use to find any that get pinched...but since when are police these days supplied with enough time to hunt stolen bikes?

But...who knows. It might work. If so, it would be a pollution buster--of small effect to be sure--and a great reliever of traffic congestion downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVl0czHuOY
Despite some obvious perceived shortfalls, bikeshare actually works very well in many UK cities. I don't know of e-bikes yet but with powered docking stations for charging it should be a logical next step. :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Uber is jumping on the "bandwagon" as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/tech ... bikes.html

I don't think the PCX will be replaced by bicycles per say or electric bicycles in any hurry though. Bicycles are always great for around town. . .as long as one is "hill capable" with gears. 8)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I dunno..? In places like New York City and in Chicago those "Lime" Bikes are likely to be "Mine" bikes ..and no the cops won't be chasing them down..
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

I have done a little research on these bikes. The reviews are mixed. People like the idea and when things go according to the plan users are happy with the results. But what happens when you find a bike that has been dinged up someway so that it is hard to ride? I mean, some folks ride these things hard, especially kids. Seems sometimes the bikes get damaged and are not repaired. What the company seems to be doing is just placing the bikes and not coming around periodically to maintain them. The business model seems to be::Put the bikes out and charge enough so that after such and such a period of time the bikes will have paid for themselves and made x amount of profit for the company. After that go get what bikes you can find--all of which will be pretty well shot--and replace them with new.

What I am saying is Limebike seems to be expanding the marketing at the expense of the maintenance. But...maybe not. It is just my impression of the situation.

As for setting them around in Chicago or New York...seems pretty iffy. Especially if they start putting ebikes and escooters on street corners. In a perfect world, it might work. It might even work in a small retirement community. And it might even work in the big cities if they modify the concept so that the equipment is harder to pinch.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

In Brighton (the city nearest to me) and London, the situation is smoewhat different. The maintenance and servicing of the bikes is paramount. I know the local company with the contract for hire bike maintenance and they take it very seriously indeed.

The success of these schemes depends upon it, and it seems, from the two examples I have experience of, that this is understood by some providers at least. :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Here's what happened to the rental bike idea in China:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=china ... d&tbm=isch
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

We had a big storm 2 days ago. Here is 0ne of the results and one of the reasons I fear for Limebikes in my area:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/424464333624399620/
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

lillypinkjenny wrote:In Brighton (the city nearest to me) and London, the situation is smoewhat different. The maintenance and servicing of the bikes is paramount. I know the local company with the contract for hire bike maintenance and they take it very seriously indeed.

The success of these schemes depends upon it, and it seems, from the two examples I have experience of, that this is understood by some providers at least. :)
Well, I hope Limebike catches on to this aspect of the enterprise...and maybe, for all I know, they have.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I just pulled up that link to the Chinese bike graveyard. Wow! I remember wanting a bike when I was a kid. I remember organizations taking good parts off of bad bikes (usually broken frames) and making new ones for those who did not have one. I remember getting one of those freshly painted rebuilt bikes and loving it.
Throwing away thousands of bikes is just wasteful.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:I just pulled up that link to the Chinese bike graveyard. Wow! I remember wanting a bike when I was a kid. I remember organizations taking good parts off of bad bikes (usually broken frames) and making new ones for those who did not have one. I remember getting one of those freshly painted rebuilt bikes and loving it.
Throwing away thousands of bikes is just wasteful.
It speaks, and very loudly, of the spated river of wealth that has flooded China in the last 30 years. China, the USA of Asia!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It won't be that long at the rate we are going before we will OWE China more than our GNP. That is scary.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers