PCX 300...?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

PCX 300...?

Post by gn2 »

For a while I have wanted a Honda 300cc maxi, well tonight I was having a browse of some euro scooter sites and I found this, not quite an S-wing 300, more of a PCX 300 and definitely very interesting.
Let's hope it gets sold in the same markets as the PCX.

Scooter Station

MOTOblog
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX 300...?

Post by Taz »

Good find though I think the x10 seems more stylish but good to have some comptition. We had the forza nss250x sold here in oz as plenty available second hand. If I get to the bike show in melboune end this mth will ask about this at the honda stand.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Looks a bit dowdy compared to the pcx. How many MPG?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Honda are claiming circa 89mpg.
It only looks dowdy because it's grey, it will look much better in Himalaya White ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Honda are claiming circa 89mpg.
It only looks dowdy because it's grey, it will look much better in Himalaya White ;)
89 mpg isn't bad.

Tempted. Mrs qed could have the pcx

Its the front headlight mostly. Looks very 90s Honda compared to the pcx
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I just re looked at the x10 video which has nice style and this forza seems agricultural in comparison. What do you see as the pluses over the x10? And should this thread be in 'other bikes' section:-)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The only plus points over the X10 which I can see are that Honda have a better reputation for reliability and the Forza has a far better front mudguard than the X10.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Oh, that looks nice. I can't see it coming to the US though, Honda thinks we only like 125cc and below or 500cc and above. :P
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

That looks nice but I bet its at least twice the price of a PCX 125 :o
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Twice the price of a PCX?
Knock a few hundred quid off that and I'll have one.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

V4 TRV wrote:That looks nice but I bet its at least twice the price of a PCX 125 :o
I wanted to say this :lol: .

It looks nice, needless to say, but I already see some downsides. For starters, it's not gonna be cheap. It'll be a quality product, for sure, but it won't be a well-made, yet affordable bike like the PCX. The former Forza was ridiculously expensive. I agree that it was a really good scooter with a very special -and expensive- transmission, but it was way too expensive. Most people doesn't need such a special transmission for everyday use, and it doesn't make sense, to me, in a 250cc (it does in a Burgman 650, however).

This one looks like the PCX and the Forza have slept together and this is their offspring, on steroids. First downside, the rider's aerodynamic protection. I can live with the low windshield because you can always install an aftermarket one, but it looks like the legs of the rider will still be as unprotected as they're in the PCX or former Forza.

Second one, power. If Kymco is selling a 33 bhp scooter, I wonder why Honda can't keep up with that. A lot of us see the 400 cc mega scooters kind of bulky for everyday use but would love to have a powerful, mid-sized 300 cc. The Kymco is selling really well for that reason, but I keep hearing tales about their reliability (engine, clutch problems...).

So, how to improve the recipe?. Make a bit more powerful, proper fairings, and a competitive price tag. It would sell like hot cake.
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

gn2 wrote:Twice the price of a PCX?
Knock a few hundred quid off that and I'll have one.
For me that defeats the purpose of what the PCX is all about. For £2.2K i can have 115mpg and carefree riding for 2 years owing to the warranty and i can hand it back after then and start again with another one. Shelling out £4-5K is way beyond what I would be prepared to do although I would definitely appreciate the extra oomph I can live without it as ive 2 other motorbikes to get my thrills on.

Horses for courses :)
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Honda seems to be on the right track. In the US we had the Sh150 that sold for ~$4500. Just a couple years later they are selling the PCX150, a better bike, for $1K less. If the 300 gets such good MPG I expect it will be a bargain in many ways. Way to go Honda!
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

That looks very nice,looking for something bigger and this would do the job nicely
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Cascanciu wrote:special -and expensive- transmission
New model has conventional CVT with no bells and whistles.
It will probably be cheaper than the old model.
Cascanciu wrote:If Kymco is selling a 33 bhp scooter, I wonder why Honda can't keep up with that.
Kymco aren't, they claim 29bhp for their 300cc engine.
In any case this is peak power and isn't the full picture.
It's how big the area under the graph is that counts... ;)
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

Did someone mention Kymco in the same sentence???? PLease!! :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

What's wrong with Kymco?
They manufacture the engines for the world's most expensive scooters and have a long association with Honda for whom they have manufactured all kinds of stuff.
V4 TRV wrote:the extra oomph I can live without it as ive 2 other motorbikes to get my thrills on.
I have only one two wheeler, the PCX no longer meets my needs and next year I will be buying a 300 to make my A-road commute more comfortable.
As for thrills, I've grown out of that, these days I'm happy at or below the speed limit.
So for me 300cc is enough and a PCX 125 really isn't.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Won't you consider a 350 (x10) or a 400 burger?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

X10 yes, burger maybe.
I will be buying around this time next year so it depends what's on the market locally at that time.
The current list of possibles is:

Sym Joymax 300
Kymco Downtown 300
Honda Forza 300
Yamaha Xmax 250
Piaggio X10 350
Suzuki Burgman 400