What do you think about this price for new PCX150?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

What do you think about this price for new PCX150?

Post by pattomike »

Hello, everyone. I am considering buying a new 2017 PCX 150. I live in Boise, Idaho. I was in the market for a Buddy 170 or SYM HD 200, but the scooter dealer who is licensed to sell both of these manufacturers doesn't carry either one of these models in stock! I would have to special order it. This aforementioned scooter dealer is the only dedicated scooter dealer in the whole valley. So this meant I would have to look at Honda or Yamaha for a scooter. Today I went to the Honda dealer and test-drove two Honda scooters. One was a 2010 Shi150 with 13,000 miles on it. And the other was a new PCX 150. It is white in color. The price he quoted me seems pretty good, but I would like your opinion, please.

The MSRP for the 2017 PCX is $3599.

It is on sale for $3399.

Freight is $150 and prep is $50.

Vehicle Tax $217, Doc fee $25, Title $14.

This scooter only has 4 miles on it.

What do you think of this deal? I will need to finance it through either Honda, or a credit union. The current rate is 4.49% through Honda.

Also, regarding the 2010 SHi150 with 13,000 miles. The list price is $1695, he quoted me $1600 with no freight or prep charges.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: What do you think about this price for new PCX150?

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to the forums pattomike, glad you could join us.

If you have spent any time on this site, you may not be surprised by me saying that, if for no other reason than the PCX is white, you should get it. :lol: Some of us on here are quite partial to white ... it is faster. ;)

Sorry, but I can't offer much insight on the price as I am not in the US market, but there are a number of others who can.

BTW .... you mentioned where you are from in your post, but to help us help you better, could you list your location in your profile, which you can access through the 'User Control Panel' link which is at the top right corner if you are using a web browser (as opposed to a phone or tablet app). Thanks
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I think a quality NEW scooter from Honda will make you a very satisfied customer. 100 bucks a month for a few months is easy with Honda financing if that's the way you want to go. Be aware WhiteNoise and I search CraigsList posting PCX's with low, low miles for half the cost of new if you have cash on hand and are willing to travel a few miles.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=220
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

homie wrote:I think a quality NEW scooter from Honda will make you a very satisfied customer. 100 bucks a month for a few months is easy with Honda financing if that's the way you want to go. Be aware WhiteNoise and I search CraigsList posting PCX's with low, low miles for half the cost of new if you have cash on hand and are willing to travel a few miles.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=220
Living in Boise, there is no traveling a few miles. It's either Salt Lake or Portland. Doubtful there are many scooters in rural Idaho or Oregon. It's funny, the salesman also told me the white one is faster. Naw I'm just kidding, he didn't tell me that. So far I haven't received any comment about the pricing of the bike. I do not have cash on hand. At this point no matter how cheap it might be used, I couldn't buy it unless I went to a credit union and tried to get a loan. I figure the easiest route to financing will be through Honda financing. I am pretty sure I am going to get it. One thing I don't like, though, is that it is not a step-through. The 2010 Shi150 I test drove immediately after test-driving the PCX has a step-through, and I was immediately more confident, and able to toss the scooter around. Having that step-through is good for maneuverability, don't you think?
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

Hey Mike. That SHi is a great scooter. Its more of a Italian styled scoot. My buddy has two of them. One has over 13k miles. I'm not sure but the SHi may be faster than the PCX. He loves those scooters.

$1600 is a fair price for that model. I bet it's either black or red! Maybe you can get it for $1600 out the door?
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

markcap wrote:Hey Mike. That SHi is a great scooter. Its more of a Italian styled scoot. My buddy has two of them. One has over 13k miles. I'm not sure but the SHi may be faster than the PCX. He loves those scooters.

$1600 is a fair price for that model. I bet it's either black or red! Maybe you can get it for $1600 out the door?
Thanks for your replies. The Shi seemed to run as quick and fast as the PCX. I was impressed with it. To me though I see an 8 year old scooter with a lot of miles (13K is a lot in my opinion for a scooter).
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Here are a couple of things to consider: I'm pretty sure the SHi is a discontinued model, and has been for several years. The PCX is a newer design and has proven to be much more popular than the SHi (viz.this forum). I haven't ridden the SHi but due to its step-through design I'd guess it has considerably less underseat storage than the PCX, which is an excellent grocery-getter as well as a great ride.

If true, both of those problems about the SHi would be negatives to me. Good price, though!

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The $200 Honda Bonus Bucks is a good discount. I just bought a 2017 and got that also. I ended up paying a little over $4k when all was said and done with freight, dealer conveyance, taxes, registration fees, the Service Manual (cost extra), and free delivery 25 miles to my house. It had 2 miles on it and was taken right out of the crate and prepped for me. . .not a floor model.

The SHi had cost more than a PCX to begin with when they were being sold here. Good machine though.

The Buddy 170 is a whole different animal. Fast and built on the reputation of the Buddy 125. Relatively easy maintenance and just plain fun to ride. The 10 inch wheels give a different feel and ride than larger 12 or 14 inch wheels. I have a Genuine Roughhouse and it's been a good machine but I needed a scooter with more oommpphhhh. I'm keeping it though. . .not ready to part with it. My Genuine dealer (also sold Vespa) closed down and when I was looking for a new scooter I decided to look at the Honda PCX since the dealership was closer to my house. I compared it to the Yamaha SMax also and at the end of the day I liked the PCX better for leg room and fuel economy. If I could get 60 MPH out of the PCX that was all I needed. My last check on my fuel economy was 104.2 MPG. . .I kid you not! ;)

Some PCX owners seek aftermarket seats, larger windscreens, or suspension components but the stock PCX works OK for me. . .and a real step up from the 49cc machine I've been riding. If you would like aftermarket component opinions and reviews you've come to the right spot.

Determine if you want to do your maintenance or have the dealer mechanic do it for a price. If you do it get the appropriate recommended lubricants and fluids while you are at the dealership. The 600 mile first maintenance may come up quicker than you think. 8)

Homie has some really good maintenance videos posted on YouTube for the do-it-yourselfer. ;)
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

PCX150Rider wrote:The $200 Honda Bonus Bucks is a good discount. I just bought a 2017 and got that also. I ended up paying a little over $4k when all was said and done with freight, dealer conveyance, taxes, registration fees, the Service Manual (cost extra), and free delivery 25 miles to my house. It had 2 miles on it and was taken right out of the crate and prepped for me. . .not a floor model.

The SHi had cost more than a PCX to begin with when they were being sold here. Good machine though.

The Buddy 170 is a whole different animal. Fast and built on the reputation of the Buddy 125. Relatively easy maintenance and just plain fun to ride. The 10 inch wheels give a different feel and ride than larger 12 or 14 inch wheels. I have a Genuine Roughhouse and it's been a good machine but I needed a scooter with more oommpphhhh. I'm keeping it though. . .not ready to part with it. My Genuine dealer (also sold Vespa) closed down and when I was looking for a new scooter I decided to look at the Honda PCX since the dealership was closer to my house. I compared it to the Yamaha SMax also and at the end of the day I liked the PCX better for leg room and fuel economy. If I could get 60 MPH out of the PCX that was all I needed. My last check on my fuel economy was 104.2 MPG. . .I kid you not! ;)

Some PCX owners seek aftermarket seats, larger windscreens, or suspension components but the stock PCX works OK for me. . .and a real step up from the 49cc machine I've been riding. If you would like aftermarket component opinions and reviews you've come to the right spot.

Determine if you want to do your maintenance or have the dealer mechanic do it for a price. If you do it get the appropriate recommended lubricants and fluids while you are at the dealership. The 600 mile first maintenance may come up quicker than you think. 8)

Homie has some really good maintenance videos posted on YouTube for the do-it-yourselfer. ;)
Thank you for your reply. I have heard it said (in a review from Justgottascoot, I think) that people who buy a Buddy are a different kind of buyer than someone who buys a PCX or larger scooter. I do not know what that means, to be honest. Maybe the Buddy buyer is more of a daredevil or something. You said the Buddy 170 is based on the reputation of the Buddy 125. Isn't the Buddy 150 the same thing, as well? Anyway, I test drove the Yamaha Smax or whatever the hell its called, and did not like the leg room, nor the way the handlebars were so close to my hands. I really liked the PCX Honda a lot. Except it wasn't as toss-able in the parking lot as the SHi150 was because the former isn't a step through and the latter is. But unless I get it dirt cheap I am not going to buy 8 year old technology. I am strongly leaning toward buying a new PCX on Monday. I really like the fact that you didn't buy a floor model. How did you manage that? I don't like the idea of buying a motorcycle that 419 people and their kids have sat on before me. It's a 2017 so it's probably been sitting there for almost a year, right? The other Honda dealer in town has 2018s in stock. I doubt they will match the price I was quoted for the 2017 model.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

$4000 will get you a lot of lightly used Forzas from some dealers. That new $4000 PCX will be worth $3000 by the time you reach the first stop light after pulling off the dealer's lot. It's not a $100 for a few months. It is years.
See your credit union, get a loan, then go shopping in a radius of a few hundred miles. You can do a lot better than $4000 for a 150cc scooter. That's sticker for a new old stock Honda 300F motorcycle!
Fish
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

You said the Buddy 170 is based on the reputation of the Buddy 125. Isn't the Buddy 150 the same thing, as well?
The Buddy 125 (made by PGO of Taiwan) is really a great scoot for the money and access to the valves for maintenance is a lot less work than the PCX. That being said it does use the older carburetor technology (IMHO nothing wrong with that) and needs to be maintained as such. The Buddy 150 was basically the same as the 125 but a little more power. The Buddy 170i presented fuel injection and an oil cooler. There were some over-heating issues reported early on with it but those have been rectified. The machine will reduce power if excessive heat build up is detected (not shut down). But it's got to be really really hot out and it's got to be run WOT practically for a long period of time according to what I've read. The "PGO" manufactured Genuine Scooter products have good materials and are priced right. That being said the Stella line of scooters look like the typical Vespa P200 models but have had some build quality issues for a long time. More of a '70s level of mechanical expertise is recommended if you decide to buy one of those. :geek:

Getting back to the PCX. I've read, and continue to check in on, http://www.justgottascoot.com/hondapcx.htm. Very informative and good honest reviews. The PCX was given extensive coverage on it's value as a commuter and there were also some comments about accessories. :D

FWIW I did look at some new old stock of the CB300F and CBR300R. I came very close to buying a leftover CBR300R (Yellow). It had a reduced price and when I sat on it the ergos worked OK for me. . .considering it was only a 300. Looked good too! But at the end of the day I had focused more on the PCX as a solution to my needs and now that I've got a little over 200 miles on it I'm really glad I bought it. I've got two other motorcycles (one an antique and one getting close to being an antique) and can ride those for other applications or sport touring etc. . .. ;)

Just can't say enough about how pleased I am with the PCX fuel economy, brakes, and the LED headlight works great at night. The only thing is that to do the valve maintenance it will be a chore but for anything in life that's worthwhile a little extra effort is part of the package. Plus one could always pay to have a dealer mechanic perform maintenance. 8)
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

fish wrote:$4000 will get you a lot of lightly used Forzas from some dealers. That new $4000 PCX will be worth $3000 by the time you reach the first stop light after pulling off the dealer's lot. It's not a $100 for a few months. It is years.
See your credit union, get a loan, then go shopping in a radius of a few hundred miles. You can do a lot better than $4000 for a 150cc scooter. That's sticker for a new old stock Honda 300F motorcycle!
Fish
good advice. I found a 2013 sym citycom 300 with 700 miles on it for $2500.

g
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

PCX150Rider wrote:
You said the Buddy 170 is based on the reputation of the Buddy 125. Isn't the Buddy 150 the same thing, as well?
The Buddy 125 (made by PGO of Taiwan) is really a great scoot for the money and access to the valves for maintenance is a lot less work than the PCX. That being said it does use the older carburetor technology (IMHO nothing wrong with that) and needs to be maintained as such. The Buddy 150 was basically the same as the 125 but a little more power. The Buddy 170i presented fuel injection and an oil cooler. There were some over-heating issues reported early on with it but those have been rectified. The machine will reduce power if excessive heat build up is detected (not shut down). But it's got to be really really hot out and it's got to be run WOT practically for a long period of time according to what I've read. The "PGO" manufactured Genuine Scooter products have good materials and are priced right. That being said the Stella line of scooters look like the typical Vespa P200 models but have had some build quality issues for a long time. More of a '70s level of mechanical expertise is recommended if you decide to buy one of those. :geek:

Getting back to the PCX. I've read, and continue to check in on, http://www.justgottascoot.com/hondapcx.htm. Very informative and good honest reviews. The PCX was given extensive coverage on it's value as a commuter and there were also some comments about accessories. :D

FWIW I did look at some new old stock of the CB300F and CBR300R. I came very close to buying a leftover CBR300R (Yellow). It had a reduced price and when I sat on it the ergos worked OK for me. . .considering it was only a 300. Looked good too! But at the end of the day I had focused more on the PCX as a solution to my needs and now that I've got a little over 200 miles on it I'm really glad I bought it. I've got two other motorcycles (one an antique and one getting close to being an antique) and can ride those for other applications or sport touring etc. . .. ;)

Just can't say enough about how pleased I am with the PCX fuel economy, brakes, and the LED headlight works great at night. The only thing is that to do the valve maintenance it will be a chore but for anything in life that's worthwhile a little extra effort is part of the package. Plus one could always pay to have a dealer mechanic perform maintenance. 8)
thank you i was thrilled by my pcx test drive but now starting to rethink buying new. i do not like to be the one taking the bit hit in value. i saw a beautiful orange 300 new sport bike at the same honda dealer. i sat on it just long enough to remind me why i don't want a motorcycle: too much work!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

thank you i was thrilled by my pcx test drive but now starting to rethink buying new. i do not like to be the one taking the bit hit in value. i saw a beautiful orange 300 new sport bike at the same honda dealer. i sat on it just long enough to remind me why i don't want a motorcycle: too much work!
Take your time and enjoy the purchasing experience. I've bought used bikes in the past and had good luck with all except one. No internet back then so it was running good when I bought it but when it started having problems was when I found out it had a history of general engineering flaws.

Put your money where it's going to do the most good. Good luck with that! :D

FWIW I think keeping debt at a minimum is a good thing in this economy. You do need to build your credit rating but do it in a way that won't leave you out on a limb in a bad storm. ;)
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

I just passed my MSF course here in NY. Got an offer on a new PCX for $3,995 out the door including all taxes(no dealer fees!). Going to check it out this weekend. And yes...of course it's White.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Congrats on passing! Now the Excitement and Fun begins!! :P
If you don't mind me asking, I have questions:
Will you be Buying On Long Island? What year is this PCX for $3995 (OTD) out the door? Mileage? Condition? Warranty? What dealer quoted you that #? Champion Honda, Crossbay Honda, Honda of Riverhead? Another?
Do you have that OTD figure in writing?

Oh yeah, Glad it's White! 8)

Oops! Almost forgot! Please add your location to your profile it will be easier for us to help you should you have questions now or in the future. Easy directions are below my post. Thank you and Keep Smiling!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
cold_surfer
Year: 2015
Color: pearl white

Post by cold_surfer »

thats about what I paid - but I had a NASCAR legend who owned the dealership at the time sign the underside seat pan, and then I clear-coated it. 6 mos later he sold the dealership.

It's worth the extra bucks to get a new one with no sketchy history of home-mainenance using pensoil car car on oil changes or retouched accident parts...

A clean used one with known history is the next choice. Had mine for 2 years and I like it more than my road king around town, beachside/island florida. It looks like new with good car waxes. Loving it. always someone asking what it is and where to get one. Lucky to own a PCX150 and I thank the Lord for it.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

pattomike, sorry I overlooked welcoming you. So here it is now....
Welcome to our forum(s) I'm glad you found us and are considering buying a PCX (new?)
Hmm...or are you? Perhaps you're moving away from Honda for another brand? Or am I just confused?

As far as the quoted price you received on a new PCX, it's a good deal imo. When I tallied the numbers up above, you're at $3,855 out the door. I paid about the same, if not the same. Some have paid $4,000 and over. No one likes paying all those extra numbers that follow the base price, so some haggle (like me :D ). Can't hurt trying to knock off another $50-100.00 or maybe ask for a freebie, a Service Manual, rear rack, windscreen, free delivery, a t-shirt? :lol: That's what I got, a Honda T-shirt! :D

Itsa wrap! Try to get him down a bit more, then sign the dotted line and get yourself a White New PCX before the Snow falls! Sound like a plan? No? Then what's yer next move? We're still listening and we
Rock PCX's (smiling)

Cheers, oh and please Add your location of Boise Idaho to your profile. Directions below my post. Thank ya much!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

cold_surfer wrote:Loving it. always someone asking what it is and where to get one. Lucky to own a PCX150 and I thank the Lord for it.
Welcome aboard to you too Central Floridian! I bought my first 2011 PCX in Central Florida, might be the same dealership :roll: Anywho, you're right about folks asking about these scoots. I'm in NY now and had a gent pull up along side me at a traffic light. His window down, I could see his mouth moving so I raised my faceshield and he yelled..."What is that, Where did you get it and For how much?" Whoa....a lota questions sitting first up at a light and caught off guard. He saw my hesitation and that got him angry so he started demanding answers. I said Honda Scooter and I don't know man, I gotta go the lights gone green. So instead of following me so we could talk, he goes on his way in another direction. He was a grumpy guy. Go figure.

Point is, Yes folks are curious. They stop, they stare, they ask, they even use sign language.
Funny, but dang it's COOL attention!
~ Happy Trails PCX'er's! ~
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Congrats on passing! Now the Excitement and Fun begins!! :P
If you don't mind me asking, I have questions:
Will you be Buying On Long Island? What year is this PCX for $3995 (OTD) out the door? Mileage? Condition? Warranty? What dealer quoted you that #? Champion Honda, Crossbay Honda, Honda of Riverhead? Another?
Do you have that OTD figure in writing?

Oh yeah, Glad it's White! 8)

Oops! Almost forgot! Please add your location to your profile it will be easier for us to help you should you have questions now or in the future. Easy directions are below my post. Thank you and Keep Smiling!
The place that quoted me $3,995 OTD for a new 2017 was NY HondaYamaha. For the 2018 they said it'd be $4,190 OTD. I still want to swing by Championship Honda in Hicksville cause they are closer to me, and cause they wouldn't quote me a price over the phone...but did say they'd beat the competition if I came in. I'll let you know what they say.

To be honest, my first choice for a scooter was the more classic styling of the Vespa(the Primavera 150) But at roughly half the price and with more features, the PCX was a no brainer. It's easily the best looking modern scoot in my opinion. It is liquid cooled vs air(good for the stop & go traffic here in NY), plus it has more storage & the 12v charger. Down the road a Vespa GTS 300 Super may be in my future. But I'm happy with my decision to get the PCX as my first scoot here in the states.

Will go down to Championship Honda Friday to see what they can do. Then make my decision. Hope to be riding a PCX home this month!