Prep for a 2600km trip on a 2016 PCX150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

bigdick
Year: 2016
Color: gorgeous white

Prep for a 2600km trip on a 2016 PCX150

Post by bigdick »

I'm riding to Broken Hill from Sydney on my 2016 PCX150 with 6000km. The trip is 2600km return. Done oil changes and valve clearance check. I'll probably do another oil change before I leave. Not yet worked on a scooter drive system though.

Should I have a look down there or is it all good? It sounds good.
Attachments
pcx150, cb125e and jimmy
pcx150, cb125e and jimmy
20170210_035756.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 829 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Prep for a 2600km trip on a 2016 PCX150

Post by homie »

Yowie gona get you... maybe a Dirawong too
whats your defense?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Should be fine, you've done an oil change and it won't need another till long after you come back, the belt is pretty much maintenance free so leave it alone, it too will not need changed till well after you're back.
I seem to recall the belt change interval was 12,500 miles on my PCX and when I changed it the belt was still looking reasonably good and would possibly have lasted a few thousand miles longer.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Did you buy the PCX new? Or did you buy it used and someone else did the initial break-in riding on it?

If you bought it new then you know what you know. . .

I'm still on cue to buy one this year but if I was going to do an extended trip I'd at least pull the CVT cover to see if there's any dust or contamination in there that could be wiped or vacuumed out. Spin the rear wheel to see if there is any weird noises that may indicate a dry bearing.

It seems to be running consistent and reliable currently right? You say you did the oil changes and valve clearance check so I'm going to assume you checked the coolant as well.

BTW were the valves spot on? Or did you have to make adjustments? Just curious. . .

Not sure what your fuel situation is but perhaps a fuel additive to combat water/condendation in the gas?
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

awesome!!!
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Dragon_uk »

Honda advise to change oil every 4000km
Belt is due for changing after 24000km
spark plug every 8000km
air filter every 12000km
Unless you're planning on doing 2600km in one hit you'll be fine, I would only suggest to take small tyre puncture repair kit with you and smallest 12V air compressor if got space.
PCX150Rider - What fuel additive? Do you put any into your tank? Is there a difference in petrol when doing long trips compering to city commuting or normal riding?

Anyways..... Good luck mate, stay safe, enjoy the views and we are all waiting on nice write up including loads of photos.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Itll be absolutely fine.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

He might be riding in high 30s to mid 40s degrees Celcius, folks. Yikes! So more preparation is good...

Take a 1L bottle of oil and coolant with you incase you need a top up along the way (check regularly).
Tyre repair kit as mentioned. Maybe some compressed air canisters and tyre slime kits to save space?
A quality air gauge wouldn't hurt, either. Like someone said, clean the dust out of the CVT beforehand.
I would do the CVT oil before the trip as well, just so that's one thing you don't have to worry about.
If you're really keen, take a spare headlight bulb. Take some baby bum wipes to clean your shield.
This is the big one, go buy a pair of RooShoos and tape them to your front fender. Absolute must!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It'll be absolutely fine
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Greasing the driven's bearings is always a good idea on the PCX -- while at it, you can sand the
shoes a bit.
bigdick
Year: 2016
Color: gorgeous white

Post by bigdick »

Bought the scoot new 3 months ago. Thanks for the advice. Everything probably is fine but I'll pop the CVT cover cause there's probably some crap I could wipe off. I'll also look into greasing the driven bearings if there's time.

BTW I checked the valves for the first time at 4000km (skipped 1000km) and they were still in spec but on the tight side (both). So they were both loosened a little.

Love my PCX. Wish it didn't redline at 112km/h indicated when it still has more power.. Perhaps next trip I'll have a Malossi variator or something.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

It sounds like you have got things covered and you know what you are doing. Have a great trip!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

PCX150Rider - What fuel additive? Do you put any into your tank? Is there a difference in petrol when doing long trips compering to city commuting or normal riding?
There are two fuel additives I add to my motorcycle gas tanks. . . seasonally. . .or under certain conditions.

Generally I use Marvel Mystery Oil during the warmer months as it helps to give top end lubrication and is a carbon remover on my KLR and Suzuki Bandit. I don't put Marvel Mystery Oil in my motorcycle crankcases. I also don't add it to my 2-stroke R50.

During the colder months, or if there has been a stretch of excessively tropical weather (humidity) any time of the year, or I go on a longer trip and pick up some fuel at gas stations I don't usually do business with locally, I add Star Tron, made my Star brite. I put it in both my motorcycle or scooter gas tanks as I feel it is needed. In the U.S. we have ethanol in our fuel and it's a magnet for water. It pulls water right out of the air and the fuel can turn to crap after only a few months. So the Star Tron fuel additive has enzyme action which helps preserve the quality of the fuel and it also deals with the "phasing" problems caused by moisture.

Here's a link to their product page that will explain http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron ... ory_id=587

Not all gas stations are alike. If you get gas from a station that does very little business they may have longer periods between tanker refills and hence their fuel just sits longer and one just never knows the true condition of it. Gas stations that do a higher volume are getting fresh gas more often. That being said they can also get a bad load as well. . .but more unlikely. I have a local Shell Station I go to 90% of the time and I've never had any problems with them. . .and using the Star Tron assures that. Know what I mean?