Looking for a solid chain and lock to keep my red 150 safe

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

cafebandito

Looking for a solid chain and lock to keep my red 150 safe

Post by cafebandito »

I live in not-the-best neighborhood and am getting a candy red 150 in a few days. The only place I can park her is in my assigned parking spot at the very front of my apartment complex. She'll basically be advertising herself as "steal me" to anyone who passes by on the street ahead.

The only decent thing about my storage situation is that it's gated, which makes it slightly less convenient for anyone wanting to steal her to get inside. (although it's easy enough to follow behind someone who lives in my complex to get past the gate)

Here's a picture of where I live + a red box made in Photoshop for my assigned parking where the scooter would be (and probably my car would start being)

The plan is to get a plain black cover so she stands out much less and a solid lock and chain to connect to the front of the gated area. Would I be able to go to Lowe's/Home Depot to get the lock and chain to keep my baby safe? And since my situation is pretty un-ideal, I'm also open to any other suggestions?

Thanks
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Looking for a solid chain and lock to keep my red 150 sa

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Look on ebay, plenty there. I got a Dutch certified one cant remember the name but it has 1/2" hardened square links with a canvas cover, and a lock where the shackle is nested and where cutters can't reach in. Get longer than you think and run through the rear wheel and swingarm if possible
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
chigman

Post by chigman »

Hi

In the UK we have Almax chains http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ Not cheap but very good quality chains and locks.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There was a recent thread in which there was a video of a Ducati being stolen. The owner had a lock on the front disc. The thieves had a battery run cutting wheel that they used to cut the lock off. If you see a chain in Lowes, chances are that they also sell something that will cut that chain. You need to get a chain and lock made for motorcycles. Also, if you get a disc lock, make sure the you buy something to remind yourself when you are ready to go somewhere on the bike (like a cable attached to the handlebar) or you will destroy your front disc.
My suggestion would be to see if you can install something, (something the chain can go through), into the cement at the upper end of the parking space. Install something that would not get in the way of future tenents because you will not be able to take it with you when you leave. Then buy a really good chain with a really good motorcycle lock, a disc lock, and a throttle lock. Don't forget to run the chain through the front AND back of the bike. With those 3 items holding your scooter there you should feel safe, but if you still don't then get a Scorpio anti-theft alarm system. After all of that, if you still worry, move.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

My last scooter was stolen out of my carport recently.

My new one is secured to a pole with a case-hardened steel chain
and is protected by a couple of other formidable locks as well.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Street Cuffs by Master Lock... uses a barrel key, can't be picked. Laminated steel construction, virtually impossible to cut without a torch or grinder. Won't scratch your bike and makes it as difficult if not more frustrating for a thief than any lock and chain... but get theft insurance.

http://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/8290DPS