Nose up (seat)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Nose up (seat)

Post by WhiteNoise »

Has anyone ever raised the front of their stock seat using spacers either under the hinge plate or between the plate & bolts? I've seen this done on another forum to stop a rider from sliding forward when braking. I was wondering if we'd have success doing the same?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Re: Nose up (seat)

Post by WhiteNoise »

I tried to edit above, too late). Maybe using a coupling nut to do the trick?
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

It would be nice to also get more space for a big helmet but I would be concerned with rain getting into the seat compartment and security if people could look through the gap and see whats under the seat.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You could easily replace the bolts that secure the front of the seat with longer ones, and put a few washers in there... You'd lose waterproofness (like Taz suggested) because the weatherstripping wouldn't seat properly, and you'd sit higher, making it harder to put your feet down.

If you wanted to replace the bolts, you could remove them from the front of the seat and take them to a hardware store. They should be able to get you a bolt with the same threading that's 1/2" longer, and 1/2" spacers as well. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

You guys are good! :) I've been thinking about trying this since I read about it. I would share a link from that forum discussion but I don't know IF that is permissible :roll: Water getting in was mentioned too, and someone said it was all about "Where" you place the spacers (in relation to the bolts, seat pan & hinge plate), that made the difference as to whether rain/water got in or not. Oh, I'm trusting my memory again....tricky stuff :lol:
I'll have to find that thread again and re-read it. I think it's a cool simplified beneficial fix if it stops a slide forward. Certainly easy on the pocket!
Taz, my FF helmet does not fit under there either, pity. Maybe this fix might help with that too?
Dave, I appreciate the bolt & washer sizing idea and I think "I" would be okay with a small lift to the front as far as touching down. Is it just me? I think the seat has compressed somewhat since new....or is it the shocks? Ahh, perhaps both. I flatfoot ezy-peasy now....what a pleasure that is (hugging scoot) :oops:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You can definitely post links from other forums! Even posting links from ClubPCX is totally kosher. I don't care, as long as the links aren't advertizing. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

I’m supposing any aftermarket seat will have a different pitch to it. I heard the 150 seats were adjusted at a straighter angle than the 125s were. You could replace the seat so you get a good watertight seal, and a more comfortable ride.

I’ve never felt that the seat on my 150 was angled down too sharply, and the hump doesn’t bother me since I have knees that bend, but a wider saddle might be kinda nice for long rides.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

maddiedog wrote:You can definitely post links from other forums! Even posting links from ClubPCX is totally kosher. I don't care, as long as the links aren't advertizing. :D
Okay cool :) I just found the thread: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic51966
Members on this forum raised the front of their seats placing (nylon) spacers and (s.s.) washers in different ways. One way proved better than the other, water did Not get in, and his seat did Not wobble. No need for me to blab on, the thread (and links within) say it all :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Urbanian that's right, I did read that the 150 seat was changed. I'm guessing the hinge fitting is the same? Worth a look to see what one costs. Thanks for the mention and I'm glad yours suits "your" seat ;)