Avoid possible electrical problems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Avoid possible electrical problems

Post by Oyabun »

Upon disassembly of my 2015 LED PCX 125 found this worrying spot.
It is on the right side of the scoot, where grounding cables come together and attached to the frame.
Apparently the copper cable ring and steel frame does not get along very well - so there was corrosion on the less than 2 years old bike.
I suggest that whenever you remove the rear fairing (e.g. for a valve adjustment) look this up and take care of the issue.
One possibility is to clean the surfaces to the metal and use some copper grease to seal oxygen and water out and aid the contact.
Other would be a good spring washer - or the two together.
Have fun, and avoid having electrical issues in the future.
Attachments
grounding40.jpg
grounding40.jpg (197.79 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Avoid possible electrical problems

Post by Ishkabibble »

Oooh... I'm gonna have to remember this one...

Thanks!
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Avoid possible electrical problems

Post by Mel46 »

Well I have another one for you. After I had my 2013 bike for about a month I decided to install a tail box. That meant taking off the panel in the back in order to put holes in it. Well, after taking off the cover I noticed a lot of packing, all chewed up and stuffed in among the wires. I put the panel back on and rode it to the dealer. They took it into the service area and took it apart. What they found was half of the wiring bundle for the back was chewed up, and the covering for the wiring that ran to the front was chewed off and was being used as part of the nest for a lowly mouse that must have gotten in there some time along the route, maybe even on the ship. So the bike stayed in the shop a couple of weeks while they awaited replacement wiring bundles. Something to think about when you think your newly purchased bike is perfect.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers