Front Brake Pads

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Front Brake Pads

Post by outlander »

Whag aftermarket alternative is there for 2015 150 brake pads up front?

Is there anythig better than oem?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: Front Brake Pads

Post by Oyabun »

Better is not necessary an absolute term. Some will say that the front brake is good enough as long as you can lock the brakes. I do ot agree this. I was not statisfied with the feel and modulation of the oem front brake (to me it was like not enough stopping power for most of the lever travel with a bit of a spongy feeling and then becomes stiff with a rubbery feeling and then if you force it further it will suddenly lock up) - but I have to admit that the PCX is my first scooter as I was riding and racing supersports.
I've upgraded my front brake setup with an EBC wave rotor, EBC sintered pads, braided line between the front MC and brake caliper, adjustable shorty levers and fresh Dot4 fluid. It became MUCH better than stock - and as an added benefit no brake dust at all.
I have recently bought a used 2015 LED model on stock brakes and a 260mm big brake conversion too - so I'll have direct comparison of the options.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Who sells the ebc wave rotor and sintered pads?

I am not sure if the euro 125 had the same brake calipers as the 150s. I've found conflicting images of a square brake pad and a regular looking brake pad.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

outlander wrote:Who sells the ebc wave rotor and sintered pads?

I am not sure if the euro 125 had the same brake calipers as the 150s. I've found conflicting images of a square brake pad and a regular looking brake pad.
The PCX is a global model, brake calipers are the same on all markets.
I have bought the EBC stuff locally - unfortunately I have no clue who resells them in the states.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

outlander wrote:Who sells the ebc wave rotor and sintered pads?

I've checked the part numbers I1m using for you:
EBC VR9134 VR Scooter disc
SFA603HH Scooter Goldstuff Sintermetall brake pad

Good luck
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Thank you very much for the part no.s

The disc is only $43 in the U.S. Bargain. I think i'll get the bigger disc by imagine in japan.

The pads are $24. About the same price as honda but I bet they stop much better, I will get these.

When my tires need replacing, I will have the wheels powdercoated white and change the disc.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

You're welcome.
I agree that the larger brake has killer looks and I also bought one hoping in even better braking power. However I've found that baking power is not significantly better, but the weight of the larger disk including the spacer is significantly higher. As I'm very picky on suspension operation which is strongly affected by the higher unsprung weight so after trying it I've decided to go back to the stock size EBC which is even 160 grams lighter than stock. For some the larger disc is more favorable so your miles might vary.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

I have checked the weights in comparison.
There might be other aftermarket 260mm brake discs on the market which have different weight. The one I have bought is from a reputed taiwanese manufacturer, which uses a steel inner in the floating disc a sturdy, heavy spacer also. I've seen a disc on Powerbypcx which seems to be lighter (both the disc inside and spacer seems to be aluminium), but it is not available ATM, so no comparison.
Stock brake disc (almost new, minimal wear) 755gr
EBC standard size wave disc: 639gr -116gr compared to stock
Frando (Taiwan) floating disc+carrier: 1028gr this is + 273gr compared to stock and 389gr compared to the EBC

As all rotating and unsprung weight is very important on a bike (it will definitely eat up some acceleration and will have a slight effect on handling) you have to decide whether it is something important for you or not.