Stalling Problems

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

the2dwarf
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Stalling Problems

Post by the2dwarf »

My 2011 PCX 125 will start and run briefly then conk out.
Repeated attempts yield the same results...
Unable to rev above an idle and it conks out as well.
Recently took out of Winter Storage. Fuel always preserved and Battery Always Maintained during Off Season.
? Related to PGM FI Unit ? Fuses ??
Any ideas, previous experiences or suggestions would be helpful.
Trying to avoid a trip to the Dealer in a month from now...
Thanks.... :x :x
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Stalling Problems

Post by Mel46 »

I had that problem once and I put some fuel stabilizer in, held the start button while opening the throttle. Eventually it caught. Otherwise, I have no advice for you. If everything was working when it went into winter storage then fuel would be the first thing I would look at.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Sounds like a clogged or faulty injector or possibly the fuel has gotten water in it. Drain the fuel tank (siphon it), fill it with fresh fuel and some fuel injection cleaner. I'm not sure how to clean an injector directly haven't gotten there yet in school. Still, I'd start with fresh gas anyway. Stabil isn't foolproof.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
JonW
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JonW »

Stabil isn't what it used to be. I've switched to SeaFoam which also cleans the injectors, and haven't had any problems. Started right up in the spring after winter storage.
Jon W
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

I had the same problem 2 years ago.. I tried to find the cause for about a year. My authorised dealer said that our last chance was to change my ECU unit. Before that, we reset the ECU with a usb cable with his pc and thats all!! stalling problem disappeared!! TRY TO RESET YOUR ECU! before that, check your fuel and your spark plug!
the2dwarf

Post by the2dwarf »

How would I reset it once I connected to a PC ? :P
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

your authorized service will reset it. not you..they have the honda software and they can check everything in your scooter. faults, temperatures, fuel/air mix etc..visit them and good luck!
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

Check to see if a mouse has built a nest in your air box. Also check for chewed up wires. Mice love to chew on wiring.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

While a mouse problem might be valid, I think your best bet would be to concentrate on the fuel first, and then go from there. It is quite possible that the fuel has gone bad or gotten condensation in it. If the fuel filter is clogged then you will need to take it to the shop because the filter is inside of the fuel pump, which is inside your fuel tank.
You should also keep in mind that if you did any service on it yourself during that time, you may have knocked something loose, such as a wire. However, as I said previously, I had that same problem and was able to start the bike eventually. Make sure the battery is topped off. Then add something along the lines of Seaford to the tank and let it set for a little while before trying to start it again. It is important to have the battery charged up because you may be cranking it for a few minutes while working the throttle. I hope it does not turn out to be anything worse than stale fuel. Good luck.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The fuel system used on this small engine is quite elaborate especially for its size. In order to comply with the confounded emissions' laws they have to computerize and control the engine efficiency. The first and easiest thing to do is to start with a strong battery, and of course get rid the old fuel . To determine if it is in fact a fuel delivery issue remove the air filter and spray some quick start fluid into the air intake whilst cranking the engine. See if any differences in the situation takes place. Like others say here its most likely fuel system related and that can be time consuming. First find out.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

pcx man wrote:Check to see if a mouse has built a nest in your air box. Also check for chewed up wires. Mice love to chew on wiring.
I've heard stories of interesting things found in air boxes in the spring. One such story included an air box full of dog food put there by a rodent.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
the2dwarf

Post by the2dwarf »

My battery is 6 years old and although it was trickle charged off season a test came up with a recommendation to replace it.
My next thought is a Spark Plug or Bad Fuel. Stay tuned and I'll give the final version of the problem. Thank you all for your advice....
the2dwarf

Post by the2dwarf »

pcx man wrote:Check to see if a mouse has built a nest in your air box. Also check for chewed up wires. Mice love to chew on wiring.
Excellent Point !!! I will check that out as well.....
the2dwarf

Post by the2dwarf »

Replaced the battery and spark plug. Checked the Air Cleaner and there were no mice nests. I finally siphoned the fuel out and replaced it with fresh High Test and Bingo it started and ran as usual....
the2dwarf

Post by the2dwarf »

the2dwarf wrote:Replaced the battery and spark plug. Checked the Air Cleaner and there were no mice nests. I finally siphoned the fuel out and replaced it with fresh High Test and Bingo it started and ran as usual....
I also discovered that this Scooter requires a minimum of 91 Octane Fuel. I had been running it on 87 Octane.....
the2dwarf

Post by the2dwarf »

the2dwarf wrote:Replaced the battery and spark plug. Checked the Air Cleaner and there were no mice nests. While apart I covered any possible mouse entry holes with metal screen to keep them out. I just bent it around the hole and kept it in place with a large Rubber band. I finally siphoned the fuel out and replaced it with fresh High Test and Bingo it started and ran as usual....