Pro & Cons, Switching from Burgman 650 to Forza

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Treeman

Pro & Cons, Switching from Burgman 650 to Forza

Post by Treeman »

At almost age 74, I'm contemplating the switch from my beloved Burgman 650 Executive to a new Forza ABS. I'm wondering if any members have experience in this issue. The main reason is that my touring mileage has dwindled from 15,000 to 5,000 yearly. It seems the 650 is an overkill for the low miles traveled.
2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2007 Burgman Executive
1977 BMW R100/7
2013 Kymco Agility 125
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Pro & Cons, Switching from Burgman 650 to Forza

Post by gn2 »

imo the Forza isnt an ideal tourer, its better suited to commuting.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Don't do it... "beloved" is the key word here. You won't find that word in the Forza files.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

In my experience I have found that what you want to do with the bike will be the determining factor as to which bike you use. If you like to tour, and that is your main objective, your Burgman 650 is ideal. If you plan on only touring 'locally', that is you only ride instate and you stay within a few counties of your home, then the 650 is overkill. I had a Burgman 400 and loved it. It was light enough to travel to the mountains, tour the various counties, and even take a day trip to another state. It was comfortable enough on freeways to make me forget that I was only on a 400 cc bike, and my passenger was very comfortable. IF you think the 650 is now too much for you, consider the 400. You don't have to buy a new one, but there are some good deals on last year's model. I don't see your location on your profile, so I can't guess what the availability is in your area, but down South here in the USA you can buy a used 2011 - 2013 for from $4500 to $5500, and that is with ABS. Some dealers will let you test ride the used ones, and I am pretty sure if you rode up to an individual seller's house he would let you test ride the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Treeman

Post by Treeman »

I appreciate all responses. I have zero issues handling the Burgman, but the fact my pillion buddy, Pugsley, a 9 year old Pug/Lapso Apso is reaching old age, just don't want to subject him to brutal weather, etc, etc. We've logged 67,000 miles on three different bikes, but it looks like those days may be over. No long tours planned, just 200 to 300 miles trips, errands, pleasure runs, etc. It just seems that the 650 is an overkill.

I've considered the Burgman 400, but Suzuki dealerships are not the best around here, Honda shops superb! In my opinion, Honda quality cannot be beat. My only real complaint on the Burgman is the complicated maintenance, plastic removal, floorboard, etc. I'm looking for simplicity! ;)

When I ride my little Kymco 125 around my property, incredible the lightness, maneuverability, etc. I love being able to whip the little scooter around, no weight issues, etc. Pugsleys runs behind me, since he dislikes the poor suspension, riding on the scooter platform, etc. The little mutt is an excellent companion, treats me much better than former girlfriends, etc. :cry:
2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2007 Burgman Executive
1977 BMW R100/7
2013 Kymco Agility 125
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Treeman wrote:In my opinion, Honda quality cannot be beat.

Sadly there is a great deal of variation in reliability between Honda models.
The ones manufactured in Thailand are plagued with poor quality componentry and manufacturing/assembly defects.
The Forza is made in Thailand.
By 20,000 miles my Forza had:
(in no particular order)
new fuel pump
leaking waterpump mechanical seal
failed transmission bearings
left lever brake light switch failure (twice)
warped rear brake disc
sticking front and rear brake calipers
seized centrestand pivot
failed exhaust connection gasket (three times)

Treeman wrote:My only real complaint on the Burgman is the complicated maintenance, plastic removal, floorboard, etc. I'm looking for simplicity! ;)

The Forza isn't any less complex or have easier access than a Burgman 400
Forza panels have to come off to access the engine for maintenance and the valve clearance adjusters are shims with a check interval of 16,000 miles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Treeman

Post by Treeman »

gn2 wrote:
Treeman wrote:In my opinion, Honda quality cannot be beat.

Sadly there is a great deal of variation in reliability between Honda models.
The ones manufactured in Thailand are plagued with poor quality componentry and manufacturing/assembly defects.
The Forza is made in Thailand.
By 20,000 miles my Forza had:
(in no particular order)
new fuel pump
leaking waterpump mechanical seal
failed transmission bearings
left lever brake light switch failure (twice)
warped rear brake disc
sticking front and rear brake calipers
seized centrestand pivot
failed exhaust connection gasket (three times)

Treeman wrote:My only real complaint on the Burgman is the complicated maintenance, plastic removal, floorboard, etc. I'm looking for simplicity! ;)

The Forza isn't any less complex or have easier access than a Burgman 400
Forza panels have to come off to access the engine for maintenance and the valve clearance adjusters are shims with a check interval of 16,000 miles.
I am aware that the Forza is made in Thailand, but so is my Kubota L4600. I've owned the Kubota for two years, bullet proof reliable. However, when first purchased the Thailand thing bothered me.

And yes, I do know that the Forza is experiencing some reliability issues. I'll probably hold off on switching for a while, hoping for an improvement there, or possible introduction of something better. However, at this age shouldn't put things off too long! :o
2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2007 Burgman Executive
1977 BMW R100/7
2013 Kymco Agility 125
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I owned my Burgman 400, there was...and I believe still is, a section on youtube video in which a guy would demonstrate how to disassemble the bike for certain types of maintenance. He showed how to do the valve checks, how to take the back end apart n order to put a Givi tail box on...which I followed and was able to do fairly easily, and all sorts of other things. The guy is deaf so there are subtitles on everything.
There are other things you can do on your 650 that might help your dog. I saw a 650 that had a sidecar. That was awesome. The riders had their two dogs in the sidecar. The whole front opened up so that the dogs just climbed in, no lifting or jumping.
I saw another 650 that the guy had triked so that he could carry a crate on it with his dog in it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Treeman wrote:I do know that the Forza is experiencing some reliability issues.
Not just the Forza, most other Thai Hondas have also suffered problems.
Hopefully if you buy a more recent Forza it will be OK with gremlins banished.
I would suggest you get a test ride on one, that will tell you much better about how it suits you than opinions on a forum ;)
Treeman

Post by Treeman »

Mel46 wrote:When I owned my Burgman 400, there was...and I believe still is, a section on youtube video in which a guy would demonstrate how to disassemble the bike for certain types of maintenance. He showed how to do the valve checks, how to take the back end apart n order to put a Givi tail box on...which I followed and was able to do fairly easily, and all sorts of other things. The guy is deaf so there are subtitles on everything.
There are other things you can do on your 650 that might help your dog. I saw a 650 that had a sidecar. That was awesome. The riders had their two dogs in the sidecar. The whole front opened up so that the dogs just climbed in, no lifting or jumping.
I saw another 650 that the guy had triked so that he could carry a crate on it with his dog in it.
Thanks for the tips, Mac46

I had a Ural sidecar rig once, but Pugsley didn't care for the thing, too much wind, so he'd crawl into the nose, go to sleep, etc. Most of our miles have been on my Gold Wing. He loves the heated pillion, plus have armrests, etc. He is always harnessed and double strapped to the armrests. On the Burgman, he is harnessed and double strapped to the pillion passenger holds, plus my backrest. We logged many miles on a ST1300A, and Pugsley rode in a Roadhound Pet Carrier, which was excellent. He much prefers the pillion, since he likes his paw on my back.

Whatever bike I get, the first thing will be to make it suitable for Pugsley, safety and comfort. Amazing how this little rascal controls my life. :oops:
2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2007 Burgman Executive
1977 BMW R100/7
2013 Kymco Agility 125
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

If you have no problems handling the Burgman, why spend money on another bike? Keep the Burgman. So what if you're doing only 5k miles a year? Or do you really just want a change of bike? (that's okay, too)

Heck, I have three bikes and I probably don't ride 5,000 miles a year on the three combined, anymore. It's not the miles, it's whether or not a bike (or bikes) meets your needs.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Treeman

Post by Treeman »

Bash On! wrote:If you have no problems handling the Burgman, why spend money on another bike? Keep the Burgman. So what if you're doing only 5k miles a year? Or do you really just want a change of bike? (that's okay, too)

Heck, I have three bikes and I probably don't ride 5,000 miles a year on the three combined, anymore. It's not the miles, it's whether or not a bike (or bikes) meets your needs.
Good common sense. I value your opinion!
2010 Gold Wing/ABS
2007 Burgman Executive
1977 BMW R100/7
2013 Kymco Agility 125
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

I used to have a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec. and I will never have one again. It's nice and convenient but to service it can be a pain in the ass. The good thing is no belt! Automotive style CVT. No belt going to back differential. Fuel mileage in not the best. I think the best I ever had was 52.5mpg. I have a 2013 Honda PCX 150 now. It would be a great, except the seat is crap. When I get a seat, it will be 100% better. I also have 2 Honda Metropolitan's. Great for what they are. I had a 2002 Honda Reflex 250 and that was on the top 10 bikes I should have never sold. If you can find a low mileage Honda Reflex, buy it. Mine would do 75mph flat out on level road with a little bit of wind. Fastest I ever went on it was 82mph on a long downhill. With me and the Mrs on it on the Interstate I could get 60-63mpg. You can set the valves without removing the valve cover. Very easy to service and disc brakes front and rear.

Sorry I got carried away.
Scott
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!