First commute on my new PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

First commute on my new PCX

Post by db22 »

In spite of the cold (38F/3.3C), I rode my PCX to work for the first time today. Could barely hear the purr of the engine over the chattering of my teeth. The suspension soaked up the potholes and cracks in the pavement, the brakes were up to the job, and I really enjoyed not having to clutch and shift in stop-and-go traffic. The long rural stretch was a breeze (a very chilly breeze), cruising easily at 55mph/88.5kph. I found a smaller man-purse that holds my daily necessities, and it fits neatly under the seat. 70 miles on the odo now, and I am lovin' my new scoot.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013

Re: First commute on my new PCX

Post by MKE PCX »

Your location tag taught me something new today. I'm a fellow Wisconsinite and had no clue that Mississippi meant father of waters.
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

MKE PCX wrote:Your location tag taught me something new today. I'm a fellow Wisconsinite and had no clue that Mississippi meant father of waters.
I'm not sure what the First Nations word actually means, but when Abraham Lincoln announced that General Grant had taken the rebel position at Vicksburg, he noted that "the Father of Waters flows unvexed to the sea." That's where I got the phrase.
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Name origin: Ojibwe word misi-ziibi, meaning "Great River", or gichi-ziibi, meaning "Big River"

The word Mississippi itself comes from Messipi, the French rendering of the Anishinaabe (Ojibwe or Algonquin) name for the river, Misi-ziibi (Great River).

Wikipedia is your friend.
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

BobS wrote:Name origin: Ojibwe word misi-ziibi, meaning "Great River", or gichi-ziibi, meaning "Big River"

The word Mississippi itself comes from Messipi, the French rendering of the Anishinaabe (Ojibwe or Algonquin) name for the river, Misi-ziibi (Great River).

Thanks!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yes!! You're a Happy Man db22!
You may be cold for awhile yet, but Spring is only 8 days away...it shall bring Warmth! Oh Gosh, I can't wait! We had a taste of warm weather just the other day. We got to the mid 70's. I raised my scoot on her table and changed the oil.

8) I'm Sooo Ready! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know if you have installed a tall windshield on it, but you will find the ride to be even more relaxing with one on. Also, I have found the Givi tail box to be extremely useful for locking up my helmet and gloves after the ride, and storing things that I may end up using, such a reusable grocery bags and small items that can fit in and around the helmet.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

Mel46 wrote:I don't know if you have installed a tall windshield on it, but you will find the ride to be even more relaxing with one on. Also, I have found the Givi tail box to be extremely useful for locking up my helmet and gloves after the ride, and storing things that I may end up using, such a reusable grocery bags and small items that can fit in and around the helmet.
Yep, just installed a National Cycle windshield -- see my comments in the Accessories section. You are right -- radical improvement!
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

There's no bad weather (snow/ice on roads excepted), just bad gear. You're a hardier man than I, though. I choose heated seats in the car over a two-wheeler in the 40s or below. But then, as a Texan, 70 degrees is a bit chilly.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Bash, I too have heated seats in my truck. I'll be damned if I ever remember to put the switch "on."
Such a nice feature yet I overlook it everytime! Why? I guess it's because I didn't grow up with all these nice-cit-ties. Or maybe from my 15 years in FL?
But Still...I don't know half of the bonus buttons and what-nots on and about the dash. I have yet to set the Garage Opening thingy and the Automatic Off headlight feature timer. Even some tie downs are hidden to me. It's Fun in a way though as I always end up finding something new!

What works? My FM Stations, they are All Set! On the highways and byways...WE Rock! 8)

Back on topic.
db22 I'm considering a National Cycle screen. I'll let you know if I order one. Sounds tempting, looks tempting but Hot weather will encircle me soon. I like feeling the air, helps keep me cooler in All my gear. And...I spend most my time off highways just cruising around n waving at folks through the towns on sunny afternoons. I like people, and their expressions. Going slower allows me to see them ;)
You and I might say.... "What's the Rush Anyway?" ;)
(However, I can and will pull the throttle when my other side says so. I'm from muscle car days baby!) 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

Quote: (However, I can and will pull the throttle when my other side says so. I'm from muscle car days baby!)
Awright awright Aw-RIGHT! My first car was a 1966 Mustang, 289, oh yeah.
Bash On!: Soy un Tejano -- I moved up here from Houston back in '78, though I grew up in Dallas. Graduated from SFASU, out in Nacogdoches.
Alock
Color: White

Post by Alock »

BobS wrote:Name origin: Ojibwe word misi-ziibi, meaning "Great River", or gichi-ziibi, meaning "Big River"

Vicksburg was a real tough nut to crack. Born in Delaware, I always loved the Confederate flag (looks wise) We were a Union state but in Southern Delaware not so much. I know that's not too popular these days, but I was a kid & loved the Red, White & the Stars.