So glad I went for the PCX 125 rather than the Vision 110

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

So glad I went for the PCX 125 rather than the Vision 110

Post by iceman »

I was considering buying the Vision 110 but when the '15 version of the PCX came out I bought that instead. Having now ridden a Vision 110 (CBT renew as almost 2 months lead-time for booking A1 test at centres and my CBT is due to expire).

All day I never felt comfortable on the Vision either on the off-road part of the test or on-road - not sure if it was due to the smaller size of the Vision compared to the PCX and lighter weight or other reasons but it was hard for me to ride the Vision. Coming home on my PCX was a dream in comparision - I felt so much more in control and it rode so much better. Although the suspension on the PCX could be better the Vision was awful over large road humps and over irregularities in the road.

We got talking about many things during the day including the Piagio MP3 - apparently you need a valid car licence and CBT to ride the 125 version of the 3-wheeler but no CBT or bike licence to ride the more powerful CC versions of the bike! - due it seems the the wider distance between the front 2 wheels and thus not falling in the 'bike' catergoty. I'm not sure about all the legalities but that may be of use for people who don't want to pass a UK A2 or full licence and want to ride a much more powerful bike (loose use of the term) - which can be ridden on motorways and being a 2-wheeler is more stable when road conditions are poor.

MCT London, the people I took the CBT with have also purchased a large CC scooter for those wanting to take an A2 test and be free of L plates but be able to ride a larger CC scooter around town and on motorways - very rare to find any bike training places with scooters larger than 125's!

Now got two more years to decide on taking and passing a full test or A1 or now even an A2 for use with a large CC scooter.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: So glad I went for the PCX 125 rather than the Vision 11

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I came from the Vision, and was impressed also how the PCX handles in comparison.
aka DrewJW
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Another thing that always amazes me is how many times the 110-125CC scoots used for CBT are started during a day - they insist the bikes are turned off so many times, at leasy 50 during the off-road alone. The same for Pizza delivery bikes that must be turned off and on loads of times - yet the batteries last and there are no issues.

Yet we've seen several people here with fairly new bikes and batteries that conk out and need replacing!

When the CBT bikes were put to sleep for the night, in a very large cargo container - they were just parked up with no battery tenders or such. The batteries and bikes just run and run.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The thing that kills batteries is inactivity.
Many on here have a scooter as a part-time hobby rather than full time transport.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The thing that kills batteries is inactivity.
Many on here have a scooter as a part-time hobby rather than full time transport.
Because we aren't all night time security guards that whittle away their time on Google...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:The thing that kills batteries is inactivity.
Because we aren't all night time security guards that whittle away their time on Google...
Hah...I work all shifts. The scooter gets more use than my car...poor Penelope.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Simon0867 »

Interesting post as I swithered for a while between the Vision and the PCX. Also very glad I spent that bit extra and plumped for the PCX. I park beside a Vision most mornings and it looks tiny compared to my bike.

Briefly considered a 3 wheeler as I have a full car licence, but the prices are crazy.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Simon0867 wrote:Interesting post as I swithered for a while between the Vision and the PCX. Also very glad I spent that bit extra and plumped for the PCX. I park beside a Vision most mornings and it looks tiny compared to my bike.

Briefly considered a 3 wheeler as I have a full car licence, but the prices are crazy.

Buy a cheap car and take a wheel off?
Honda cub
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by Honda cub »

I was initially torn between PCX and a SH125i before finally coming down in favour of the PCX, mainly because it looked more like a motorbike than a scooter. At the dealership they had a Vision parked next to a PCX which was next to a SH mode. I just could not get excited looking at the Vision 110. I'm sure it is a capable scooter but for me the PCX was definitely worth paying the extra. They didn't have the higher spec SH model at the dealership so really couldn't make a fair comparison. Before visiting the dealership I was swaying towards the SH125i because it seemed to offer me everything I needed, it even had a top box as fitted as standard unlike the PCX, albeit at slightly more money. In the end the shape of the SH lost out to the PCX.

Stephen
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The SH was quite a bit more for not much extra BHP but the new '15 PCX was good for the price. The SHi does have the option of ABS though for £200 more than CBS.
The vision is more like a pizza delivery bike for smaller people, not so well suited for those that are 6ft tall. Not just the size of it, but it felt too light weight.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

ABS is now standard on the SH125i and its high time the PCX got it too.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:ABS is now standard on the SH125i and its high time the PCX got it too.
Had it too?

You are becoming native. Standards.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Hi, Fran here, first post, just joined today. I got an old model PCX (new) in August. I originally was going to get a Vison or maybe a retro scooter like the Yamaha, but I was swayed by a video review of the PCX on Youtube which is funny and really sold me the bike. I think it's great. I've just fitted a Bullster windscreen in Smoke/Black which looks great, and seems to work ok. I also have a GIVI tunnel bag which makes the bike look like a 'proper' motorbike and provides a handy and accessible space for things like glasses and gloves. I also have just got an Oxford tailbag/helmet bag which is quite good. To get on and off the bike with both bags on I have to undo one side of the GIVI and swing it to one side, but that's a two second job complicated a bit by gloves. I have the strap under the seat with just a tiny bit poking out each side. Going back to the Oxford, I cross the velcro straps diagonally and leave them permanently done up, and it simply slides over the seat, with a couple of quick bungees to finish the job off. The Oxford bag is good for work clothes as they don't get crushed.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi there Fran, welcome to our forums. I'm glad you decided on choosing the PCX :P Sounds like you have things sorted out with luggage, any other plans to accessorize or to modify? Mines pretty much stock and Very White :D
Hey! I'd like to see how that Bullstar screen looks on your bike! I never seen or heard of that brand.

Hmm..better idea, why don't you Start a new thread over in the General PCX section and announce your arrival for the whole gang to read :P You and yer scoot deserve a proper Hello. We'd love if you posted a pic or two while yer at it ;)

Wait!! I almost forgot :roll: Could you also add your location to your profile (you must've missed that part when you registered). No problem, you can fix that by following my easy fix tips below.

Cheers Fran, good to have another PCX'er on board 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

The Vision is loads of fun when you're used to riding something big - you feel like you could literally pick it up and throw it around. It's most at home in congested cities, where it beats pretty much anything. Outside of this it's still capable and incredibly cheap, but you just have to be patient.