What tire did you off on?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Michelin
7%
IRC
10%
Pirelli
No votes
Dunlop
10%
Other Brand
3%
NA (I've never had an off moment on my PCX)
70%

Total votes: 30

GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Starting a new poll for my homie :D

Michelin
IRC
Pirelli
Dunlop
Other Brand
NA (I've never had an off moment on my PCX)
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: What tire did you off on?

Post by honkerman »

Need a sub-poll for those who have not been off as to what tires they're using.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Mine are stock IRC's - ridden on for 17 months in all weathers and had no issues. Now done 6000 miles and the rear still has lots of tread - can't say it's worn down that much at all.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

GatorGreg wrote:Starting a new poll for my homie :D
you guys are killing me!
Attachments
mac.jpg
mac.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Is this for real?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Yes! Interesting and valid if people post they have crashed/slipped/locked-up and always blaming stock tyres (even though a bike magazine put IRC's ahead of CG's).
Several people that have had accidents or slipped/come off and posted here have City Grips fitted, now that may have nothing to do with some idiot causing the issue but it cannot be said just IRC's give less grip/cause crashes.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Yep, blame the tires. Couldn't have been poor judgment or insufficient rider skill.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Most PCXs come with IRC. So IRC will have the most crashes. It means nothing about the tires.
chigman

Post by chigman »

I had IRC on the front and a city grip at the rear when I had my off a couple of weeks back. Not blaming the tyres at all, more the bastard that pulled right out on me at close range, I had no chance.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

The IRCs on my CBR 125R were surprisingly really good. I had to stop hard in pouring rain once and the bike stopped quickly with little drama. Felt a tiny bit of rear wheel lock up and let off the rear brake.

I am staying away from Chinese tires though.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Well lets keep a record just in case. Stats are telling sometimes and at the risk of being flamed by pinky or the brain I think it needs to be said the if there was ONE thing that's first in line with mechanical weakness on two wheels it going to be rubber. I have a set of those stock size IRC's in the attic and that's where those pixies and going to stay unless one of you nuts what's to pay for shipping. They seemed spindly and made me nervous but then I spent little time with them before swapping for bigger Michelins.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I would gladly take any and all IRC's but I already have a spare front and rear and I'm not riding the PCX as much now that I have my CBR250R back on the road.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Well lets keep a record just in case. Stats are telling sometimes and at the risk of being flamed by pinky or the brain I think it needs to be said the if there was ONE thing that's first in line with mechanical weakness on two wheels it going to be rubber. I have a set of those stock size IRC's in the attic and that's where those pixies and going to stay unless one of you nuts what's to pay for shipping. They seemed spindly and made me nervous but then I spent little time with them before swapping for bigger Michelins.

Please don't think
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

sendler2112 wrote:I would gladly take any and all IRC's but I already have a spare front and rear and I'm not riding the PCX as much now that I have my CBR250R back on the road.
Do you have ABS on the 250?

I think the only way my next bike won't have ABS is if I get a Grom.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I doubt that our accident would have ended any differently no matter what tire make was on our bikes. The accident happened right in front of us and parts were flying everywhere. We had already slowed down because traffic was starting to bunch up some. However, on a road where the speed limit is 55 mph and we were only doing 45 mph, it still takes quite a distance to stop a two wheel vehicle. I don't know if ABS or disc brakes all around would have helped. I just know that we had very little time to make a choice between hitting the cars in the pileup or dumping the bikes. Just that amount of time in which we had to make a choice brought us closer to the accident, which then meant that we really only had one choice. I tried to brake but found that the bike was still going too fast even with the brakes locked, and going down seemed better than going through the trailer ramps that were sticking up on the trailer being towed by the truck that crossed the center line and hit the other truck head on. You get very little time to make a decision during an impending accident. Better stopping power could give you more time to make a better decision, but even then a 2 wheel vehicle has the disadvantage over a 4 wheel vehicle. It is easy to second guess anyone, until you are put in the same situation. My wife had City Grips all around. I had a City Grip on the back but the original Dunlop on the front. Hers did a better job of stopping but that probably had more to do with her seeing the accident first. We were coming out of a blind curve.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I doubt that our accident would have ended any differently no matter what tire make was on our bikes. The accident happened right in front of us and parts were flying everywhere. We had already slowed down because traffic was starting to bunch up some. However, on a road where the speed limit is 55 mph and we were only doing 45 mph, it still takes quite a distance to stop a two wheel vehicle. I don't know if ABS or disc brakes all around would have helped. I just know that we had very little time to make a choice between hitting the cars in the pileup or dumping the bikes. Just that amount of time in which we had to make a choice brought us closer to the accident, which then meant that we really only had one choice. I tried to brake but found that the bike was still going too fast even with the brakes locked, and going down seemed better than going through the trailer ramps that were sticking up on the trailer being towed by the truck that crossed the center line and hit the other truck head on. You get very little time to make a decision during an impending accident. Better stopping power could give you more time to make a better decision, but even then a 2 wheel vehicle has the disadvantage over a 4 wheel vehicle. It is easy to second guess anyone, until you are put in the same situation. My wife had City Grips all around. I had a City Grip on the back but the original Dunlop on the front. Hers did a better job of stopping but that probably had more to do with her seeing the accident first. We were coming out of a blind curve.

How is the wife doing?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

She is slow to heal right now, so she is up and about for a few hours before her arm and hand start to swell. Then she has to put ice packs on and lie down. The doctor was disappointed when he went in to do the surgery because she had told the doctor that to her knowledge she had good bone density. Well the doctor found out differently once he started putting the screws in. Now he has let her know that progress must be very slow because he does not want the screws to come out. Essentially, this is the end of her riding. She is disappointed, as am I. Still, it is better that she is alive and will get back most of the use of her arm eventually than to have had something even worse happen during the accident. I think that I can fix the bikes for very little since the panels are so inexpensive, but that won't mean much if she can no longer ride. She now also says that I should not ride either due to my age. I have spent a lifetime being active. I don't know how I will feel if this too is taken away simply because I am deemed too old. Well, I will worry about that after I get her further along in her healing. I do not want her state of mind to slow her healing. She is already going to have a long journey toward healing. I will do the worrying. She can do the healing. Most of my worrying is lessened with some help from above, so my worries are not as bad as her healing at the moment. Even then, I know things will work out. They always do. I just have to let go and be patient.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Mel, I really wish she heals up quick and both of you can continue to ride - or find an alternative past-time which keep both of you active.
I have to say that my grandma was covering 5-6 mile walks on her own up until she was like 89. She has broken her hip at age 91 and recovered in about six weeks - now she lives in a home for elderly and spends the weekends with us and still enjoys every minute at 93.
Emlyn45
Year: 2012

Post by Emlyn45 »

honkerman wrote:Need a sub-poll for those who have not been off as to what tires they're using.

I have been using the original tyres until recently. The rear tyre was worn out at 5300 miles. I have now fitted a Bridgestone SC 100/90 14.
This is only because I have Bridgestones on all my motorcycles and they are superb on wet or dry roads. The only downside that I know about, is it does knock the MPG down.
A brief history:- Purchased in February of this year with 2300 miles on the clock. I have now done 5850 miles. The first thing I did was to let the engine breathe a little easier by fitting an after market exhaust (Leo Vince Carbon). This lowered the fuel consumption to 137 MPG and top speed to rise to 70/74 MPH. I then fitted the Bridgestone and it has taken the fuel consumption down to 123 MPG (on the scoot and on paper) and top speed down to 65/70 MPH.
These figures do show that the original Thai tyres are very soft and have the Honda low rolling resistance that they claim helps with lowering fuel consumption, unfortunately they do wear out very quickly, or is it me "earoling" the scoot
So the choice is simple, change the tyre more often and get more MPG or buy cheaper tyres and use the saving on more fuel. My Bridgestone cost me £40 fitted, I had to take the rear wheel out myself, no big deal
MPG figures are in English gallons. The scoot is the 2015 version.
I hope this is of some help to someone.
regards.
Emlyn
Speed without accuracy is time wasted

Bikes in garage:
2018 Piaggio MP3, 2012 PCX, 2010 BMW F800ST Special Edition, 1955 Norton Dominator 600cc.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Wouldn't softer tyres mean more resistance and more grip? People blame the IRC's for lack of grip and I thought they were classed as hard rubber? I've done 6000 miles and mine still look fantastic - lots of tread on both.