Large Honda Windshield

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Large Honda Windshield

Post by Kompact »

Put about 700km on the new Forza with the stock windshield. Got the large Honda one today ... makes the ride much louder at speed. I love that it completely removes the wind pressure from my chest and most of my head. I don't like how much louder the wind noise is now though. Guess with the OEM large windshield it's a trade off - comfort for noise.

Curious what the noise level with aftermarket shields is like.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Large Honda Windshield

Post by you you »

Kompact wrote:Put about 700km on the new Forza with the stock windshield. Got the large Honda one today ... makes the ride much louder at speed. I love that it completely removes the wind pressure from my chest and most of my head. I don't like how much louder the wind noise is now though. Guess with the OEM large windshield it's a trade off - comfort for noise.

Are you wearing earplugs
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Maybe it's your lid? :roll:
Does your helmet fit properly? Is it a full face? Is the shield on properly? Are the vents clear of obstructions (bits of foam inside, bugs or)?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I have had 3 windshields on my pcx, no real diff in sound to me....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by TonyM »

Compared to the stock, tiny screen, the Honda tall screen is wonderful. I am very pleased with it so far. I also have a Laminar Lip from my Burg 400 that will fit on it if I decide to use it this winter. But if Cee Bailey made a taller screen for the Forza, I would buy it in a New York minute.

As for noise, I always wear earplugs unless I'm only riding the two miles into town and back. I wear a Shoei Multitec modular helmet with the vents open. No problem with wind noise and we have a huge amount of wind in this area.

I would suggest that you try out ear plugs to see if that helps you. Good luck!
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I have the large Honda windscreen. It gets the air off my chest and I like it better that way. I am only 5'6" so that matters a lot for windscreens.

I find that I do not get enough air on my helmet for the ventilation to work properly when I ride in the rain. It fogs up and rain goes in my vents. I did not have that problem with the stock short screen.

I wear a strange Icon Variant helmet. The Icon helmet on my DR650 gets aerodynamically locked into an angle and position. On the Forza with the big screen I can easily look around more. On the DR650 I was looking at the road while on the Forza I look at the scenery.

The larger screen also puts a strange pressure on my back. It feels like someone is pushing me slightly in the kidneys. Feels weird.

The Forza rides better in gusty winds better with the big screen.

My one and only speeding ticket came on the Forza with the big screen. I had a 60 kmph tail wind and was going 105 kmph in a 60 zone. The lack of wind on my face and chest disguised my true speed. I felt I was going slower.

If I want no wind and no noise I will jump in my truck.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

Kompact wrote:Put about 700km on the new Forza with the stock windshield. Got the large Honda one today ... makes the ride much louder at speed. I love that it completely removes the wind pressure from my chest and most of my head. I don't like how much louder the wind noise is now though. Guess with the OEM large windshield it's a trade off - comfort for noise.

I have the tall Honda screen with a Laminar Lip added to raise it an additional inch AND to smooth out the air flowing over the screen. I wear a HJC flip front helmet with no ear plugs and don't have any complaint concerning noise. The laminar Lip helps here in smoothing the airflow...that is, reducing the buffeting or turbulence of the air flowing over the screen, which may be the source of the noise that's bothering you. It reduces this turbulence by reducing the low pressure area behind the screen...the gap between windshield and Lip does that (as does the gap at the base of the Honda screen)...so the air flowing over the screen has less tendency to turn down and fill that low pressure area. Or at least that's how I understand it!
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been riding 365 for about a decade now and have never worn ear plugs, this is the first time I've ever had the wind noise be this loud.

I think it's just that I am the exact right height that the wind is deflected perfectly into my face as I ride. Vents closed, visor locked down tight.

I'll look into the Laminar Lip - this is the one you are talking about? http://www.laminarlip.com/forza.php Do you have any pics you can share? From different angels if you don't mind = ]

Does it impede your vision at all or is it one of those things that after a while you just get used to it and don't really notice it anymore?
kar120c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 Forza 300

Post by kar120c »

Wearing my Shoei http://www.shoei-europe.com/it/products/J-Cruise and stock lower windshield, no wind noise at all!
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Kompact, you may be right about the wind hitting your helmet just right and causing excessive wind noise. That's happened with me on different bikes and the windshields/screens that I had mounted on them.

I started riding in 1962, and never wore ear plugs until about 11 years ago after I found out that I had hearing loss. I realized that I was having trouble hearing and a hearing test confirmed it.

Based on my own experience and what I've read in various motorcycle magazines, I strongly advise riders to wear ear plugs when they ride, especially if they are going further than just the local store.

Also, most of the less expensive helmets are not as quiet as the expensive ones like Arai, Shoei, Schubert, etc. I've tried other brands and now stay with Shoei. They are worth the extra cost.

The Laminar Lip that is made specifically for the tall Honda screen for the Forza looks like it is a little taller and wider than the one I have. The one that I have is actually for the 2008 Burgman 400 that I use to own. I bought a Cee Bailey screen for my Burg and never got around to putting the Laminar Lip on it. I happened to hold it up against the tall Forza screen and it looks like it will fit perfectly. It adds about 3 more inches of height and about an inch of width on each side and seems to compliment the shape of the tall screen. I have not mounted it yet because I probably won't need it.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

I'll take your advice on the earplugs Tony. Commute to work takes about 30 min each way so it makes sense to save the ear drums long term.

Extra noise aside I really like the tall windscreen. Really smooths out the ride. I find it makes your perception of speed different. Without all that wind pressure on my chest it seems like I'm going slower. Was going down the back roads yesterday and looked down to see I was going 100km when I thought I was cruising at around 70km.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

The tall screen is a huge improvement over the tiny one. It does take the wind blast off of one's chest and face and in my case, my arms and wrists feel better after a ride.

Kompact, an added bonus with using ear plugs is that when I arrived at my destination on longer rides, my hearing was more intact and I felt less tired. Especially when I rode from the SF Bay Area over Sonora Pass and down the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains down to Mammoth Lakes, CA which was about 250 miles away (about 5 hr ride).
US Army vet
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

Kompact wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been riding 365 for about a decade now and have never worn ear plugs, this is the first time I've ever had the wind noise be this loud.

I think it's just that I am the exact right height that the wind is deflected perfectly into my face as I ride. Vents closed, visor locked down tight.

I'll look into the Laminar Lip - this is the one you are talking about? http://www.laminarlip.com/forza.php Do you have any pics you can share? From different angels if you don't mind = ]

Does it impede your vision at all or is it one of those things that after a while you just get used to it and don't really notice it anymore?
Yes, that's what I have...made specifically for the tall Honda Forza windscreen. Mine looks just like the photo except I've set it lower...about 1" above the Honda screen. That puts it at about nose high and allows me to easily see over it, not thru it or it's the upper edge. At that setting (nose high) it works real well...under some conditions it feels like I can feel a slight wind pressure on my back. The Lip attaches with a Velcro-like material, but much stronger. It does allow it to be removed and repositioned. if needed.
Gnarg
Color: Red

Post by Gnarg »

Just my two cents i have the Honda tall screen and have not had any increase in noise. I actually have noticed a significant decrease. I am 5-8.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Gnarg wrote:Just my two cents i have the Honda tall screen and have not had any increase in noise. I actually have noticed a significant decrease. I am 5-8.

No need to apologise :D
gogobert

Post by gogobert »

Well, now it's beginning to get really cold here in Sweden, so I really have to install a larger windscreen to get less wind on my chest and neck.

So now I am wondering if anyone has any experience of the different screens that exists for the Forza.

I have at least found 3 versions, The Original Honda Large Windscreen, The PUIG and Givi, they seem to be about the same prize, but I'm maybe leaning against the Givi, due to that it looks like You might get a little more windprotection for Your hands on that one...or?

Anyone care to comment?

BR // Thomas
Honda Nss300 Forza 2014 - White
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Well I have the PUIG one and I cannot fault it..and I got a good deal 13 months ago...of course not able to do any comparison..Fitted it myself after I overcame the difficulty of prizing off the existing one...simple really but needs a bit of tactful force....was concerned I would break something! The PUIG fitted perfectly.
There is a web page from a guy in the States showing him fitting a new screen which was very helpful...will look and see if I can source it...others may know of source?
One thing...PUIG offer 3 options.... a clear one...a smoked one ...and a dark tint one...I got the dark tint but would not again as although in normal riding I am looking over the screen in certain light its difficult to see when looking downward at close things/kerbs at slow speeds etc......would go for the tinted one...but all individual preference.
gogobert

Post by gogobert »

Thanx for your input, actually there was a sale here on the 'black' PUIG, and I wondered if it would do, but as You say, it's probably better with a not so dark...

oh...one more thing, Can You say if the PUIG gives any shelter to Your hands regarding wind?
Honda Nss300 Forza 2014 - White
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

hands sheltered from the wind?...couldnt really say that...the shield has a "deflection" shape which will divert some air flow but I have Datatool heated grips (and muffs if really cold ) so thats not a big issue for me.So not sure if the PUIG screen is any better or worse than other options for hands wind deflection...but the high screen is like night and day compared to the standard screen....I just could not operate without it in a winter in Scotland but I know others manage...
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

The dark screen PUIG one is not too bad and if on offer ??..I would not want my comments to put you off....As I say its only at very close and slow speeds when looking downwards that its an issue( and thats not very often?).....as long as your normal riding is looking over the screen then what I mention is a very small matter...but best you are aware than not .
The one thing about the dark screen is that it looks good...