New to the pcx world!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

New to the pcx world!

Post by fantasy2c »

Hello everyone! Monday I got myself a new 2015 white pcx 150. Fun little scooter already put on 200 miles almost! What I'm curious about is since the stock variator should not have any wear I was going to try it with 12g Dr pully weights. From what I saw those work pretty decent on an all stock bike which I have, minus removing the snorkel from the airbox. I'm a 5 foot 8 guy, and weigh around 220 or so and been seeing 55 to 60 full throttle. Mostly flat riding here but fall time here in Michigan n been somewhat windy. Just want a little more oomph so I don't have to full throttle to keep up with traffic(speed limit is 55 mph most people run 60) just curious if this would work well enough or should I get an aftermarket variator? I'm fine with how stock acceleration is but more would be good too.
2015 pcx with NYC variator and faceplate and 13g NYC rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: New to the pcx world!

Post by Mel46 »

I have a 2013 model and have 13 gm rollers. Top end stayed about the same but acceleration is quicker. From what I have read if you want any speed increase you should get an NCY variator. It still won't get you to 80 mph, but every little bit helps. :-) ( Maybe you might get to mid seventies though...)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Mel46 wrote:I have a 2013 model and have 13 gm rollers. Top end stayed about the same but acceleration is quicker. From what I have read if you want any speed increase you should get an NCY variator. It still won't get you to 80 mph, but every little bit helps. :-) ( Maybe you might get to mid seventies though...)
70 would be fast enough on this bike Imo, it's so light it would probably give a man a little adrenaline rush lol. I was looking at that variator, always see it say it's for the 125's but just read that it would work for the 150. Hopefully I can find an American seller, don't want to see the price on shipping from Taiwan lol. Plus winter will be hitting soon so by the time I'd get it I'd be close to putting it in storage. I look into a buyer here later and probably end up doing that. Honestly was leaning more towards that then stock anyway. Thank you for the reply and helping me make my decision.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Same bike here. Added a nice exhaust and 13g dr pulley sliders....could not be happier with accelleration or top end in high 60’s......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Jge64 wrote:Same bike here. Added a nice exhaust and 13g dr pulley sliders....could not be happier with accelleration or top end in high 60’s......
Did most of the top speed increase come from the exhaust? Was reading your build thread and saw that the sliders alone really didn't change top speed but added quite a bit of acceleration.
Love what you did to your bike, BTW!!

Will any year pcx variator work on my 2015? Just to make sure before I spend the money.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

The power added from the exhsust is negligible, im sure......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Bought the pulley, front face and 12g Dr pulley sliders. 112 bucks.. Can't wait to install them.
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Going to receive my sliders today but the variator and face still haven't shipped, ordered them Friday from corsport USA and still says awaiting shipment... Slowest shipping to send I've experienced in quite awhile.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Welcome! Michigan here, too(Livonia). :D
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

j.d.b. wrote:Welcome! Michigan here, too(Livonia). :D
Nice, your like 2h or so south of me
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Well put the sliders and pulls in... According to corsport the pulley face is on back order from Taiwan and no idea on an eta... So just running sliders n pulley on stock face. Can't test due to rain and work soon :(
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Some people have said that the sliders don't work well in an NCY variator. Get stuck to the different coating it has in the ramps? And the belt won't make it up to top speed without the NCY face even though no one has been able to point out the difference.
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

sendler2112 wrote:Some people have said that the sliders don't work well in an NCY variator. Get stuck to the different coating it has in the ramps? And the belt won't make it up to top speed without the NCY face even though no one has been able to point out the difference.
Thanks! I ended up coming across that after I bought them. Figured I try anyway, worst comes to worst in 20 min I can just swap back to stock variator or rollers until my face comes and I order some lighter rollers. I know acceleration has improved quite a bit. No rpm gauge yet but ik full throttle screams lol. Don't know how it responds after 40mph as it was raining and the speed limit is 35mph might go out tonight and try them but unsure as its farming season and mixed with the roads being wet so I may wait until tomorrow.

Hopefully I don't have to wait for too long, corsport has no idea when they will get the face in which kinda stinks but I don't need the extra speed just want to be able to cruise 60 more comfortably and lower cruising revs some.
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Sorry about double post but can't find an edit button to add this in.
Went out for a run, roughly 10 miles mostly messing in town, didn't have any issues with sticking, at least yet with the sliders. Acceleration is quite impressive for what this thing is but just feel like accelerating is bad with the higher revs and hard on the motor. (I'm a worry wart)

Did two speed runs down a mile road or so and could hit 60 but it seemed like there wouldn't have been much left as it creeped after 55...50 was very comfortable at about half throttle or so. 35 in town is nuts...just cracked open pretty much. Somehow i gained 1 mpg which surprised me as i expected to lose around 5 or so mpg especially while in town with acceleration on the higher rpms.

I'm pretty happy but I'm thinking I'll end up switching from the 13g sliders to 14 or 15g rollers just because i want to lower the rpms a little and I've read 13-15g is a good area. Also saw running sliders vs rollers is like a 1g difference between the two on a performance aspect.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

You would have a higher top speed if you could improve the aerodynamics of your body on the bike.
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fantasy2c »

Ended up just putting stock variator back on until i get my face shipped to me and get some rollers to replace the sliders... Noticed the acceleration dropped so I figured I'd swap out the ncy for the time being and in 15 miles tops there was quite a bit of dust from the sliders not a lot but more then there should have been. Acceleration is a slight improvement over completely stock with just the 13g sliders in Stock variator and face and the rpms do not jump near as high as the ncy which I kind of like this way.