Best vario

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

freitas_rt

Best vario

Post by freitas_rt »

Hi

I would like what is the best variator for pcx esp 2015
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Best vario

Post by you you »

freitas_rt wrote:Hi

Depends on availability a bit but a lot of people swear by the NCY

Although for me it's the standard one :D
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Daytona, tested and tried from multiple others. Also I'll be getting the latest Yuminashi vario hopefully soonish that's supposed to be a cracker. I'll let you know how it went.

In the mean time 'you you' will fill you in on his mods over the years, he has lot of experience with it all (mainly hear say).. Does that count?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

I take it the Daytona wouldn't be the best to use with sliders given the Teflon coated interior?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Valiant wrote:I take it the Daytona wouldn't be the best to use with sliders given the Teflon coated interior?
I always only use sliders and no drama so far..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Hmm, sounds juicy.

I've been having issues regarding lag on takeoff from a standstill lately. Almost felt like a stock PCX with the lag. Swapped out the clutch, didn't help. The mechanic suggested a stiffer spring, which is a little confusing since I'm pulling at 8500-8800 rpms when it finally DOES pull. Figured I'd try it anyway.

Then Reggy tells me the Yuminashi Speed Control variator is designed to keep rpms down until about 30 kph(18-19 mph). Wasn't precisely my experience, as it would slowly crawl up to about 8-10 mph then suddenly the rpms go through the roof.

In any case, I was planning on trying the stiffer spring as suggested, and if that doesn't work, I'll toss in the Daytona variator with the sliders. Basically I want to do small changes and see if I can isolate the problem.

If it turns out that's the cause of the problem, then it would seem the new stuff is always the most buggy.

Ninja Edit:
Is the Daytona variator best used with the stock drive face? I bought the AdvancePro Drive Face, but it really doesn't mention a pairing variator that's supposed to go with it. I assume most of these variator only sets have identical diameter/angles to stock, and it's just the ramp curves and dimensions that are different, allowing the belt to be pushed out further.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Valiant wrote:Hmm, sounds juicy.

I've been having issues regarding lag on takeoff from a standstill lately. Almost felt like a stock PCX with the lag. Swapped out the clutch, didn't help. The mechanic suggested a stiffer spring, which is a little confusing since I'm pulling at 8500-8800 rpms when it finally DOES pull. Figured I'd try it anyway.

Then Reggy tells me the Yuminashi Speed Control variator is designed to keep rpms down until about 30 kph(18-19 mph). Wasn't precisely my experience, as it would slowly crawl up to about 8-10 mph then suddenly the rpms go through the roof.

In any case, I was planning on trying the stiffer spring as suggested, and if that doesn't work, I'll toss in the Daytona variator with the sliders. Basically I want to do small changes and see if I can isolate the problem.

If it turns out that's the cause of the problem, then it would seem the new stuff is always the most buggy.

Ninja Edit:
Is the Daytona variator best used with the stock drive face? I bought the AdvancePro Drive Face, but it really doesn't mention a pairing variator that's supposed to go with it. I assume most of these variator only sets have identical diameter/angles to stock, and it's just the ramp curves and dimensions that are different, allowing the belt to be pushed out further.
Try a small washer to widen the gap between pulleys for better takeoff speed. Kn planing sells them in .3mm and .5mm sizes. It's the cheapest way to sort that out without loosing any top end...
If you install heavier spring, from experience it will not fix your issue and you will need to increase roller/slider weight to compensate for heavier spring ( balance current rpm set up)..
I use advance pro face pulley with no problem. Which one you got? There are two versions, a lighter one and heavier one. I recommend heavier which is around stock face pulley weight, as the lighter one is too light and loss of torque may happen..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I got the light one(I think I only saw the one on webike). Never really experienced loss of torque, and I'm not sure that should even be a concern with a 175cc BBK.

Regarding the washer though, the Yumi vario includes a shorter drive boss. Would you say that would effect the takeoff if it shortens the gap between the pulley?
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

you you wrote:

Depends on availability a bit but a lot of people swear by the NCY

Although for me it's the standard one :D
*is floored*

I agree with YouYou.

I just finished a 130mile ride through Trough Of Bowland today and my stock 2015 PCX 125 was ample enough :)
aka DrewJW
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

You ever think you might be trolling a section if you came onto the "Performance" section to rail against performance mods?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Pcxdemon wrote:

Daytona, tested and tried from multiple others. Also I'll be getting the latest Yuminashi vario hopefully soonish that's supposed to be a cracker. I'll let you know how it went.

In the mean time 'you you' will fill you in on his mods over the years, he has lot of experience with it all (mainly hear say).. Does that count?

I've got heated grips...
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Pics, or it didn't happen :D .
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:

I've got heated grips...
Somebody tell him it's not a performance mod, as much as he wants to feel belonging here in performance section...
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

FWIW I use the AdvancePro drive face in combination with the Daytona variator. No issues thus far, just a quick little machine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Pcxdemon wrote:
Somebody tell him it's not a performance mod, as much as he wants to feel belonging here in performance section...
Have you got heated grips?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Pics, or it didn't happen :D .
:D :D
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:
I don't toss so no need to warm my hands up first.. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Pcxdemon wrote:
you you wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:
I don't toss so no need to warm my hands up first.. :lol:
No need as as I'm sure you receive..
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:

I've got heated grips...
Here is an idea, your heated grips belong in Accesories section of this forum as it a comfort add on and has nothing to do with performance of the scoot. So how about you go there and set up a blog. We would love to know where you bought it, how much you paid for it, what brand it is, how and who installed it, what difference makes it to ride with them, does it affect your battery life or mpg and so on.
Time to contribute something usefull to this community other than a useless constant unwanted chinwags...
Oh and as Valiant said, pics too or it didn't happen!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Branyers wrote:FWIW I use the AdvancePro drive face in combination with the Daytona variator. No issues thus far, just a quick little machine.
Alrighty, sounds good. I've ordered the Daytona variator along with 12 & 13g sliders and plan to fit it with my AdvancedPro Drive Face on top of a stiffer center spring, which should balance out with the slightly heavier weights(currently using 10g rollers). It'll be interesting to contrast the top speed between the two variators(Daytona & Yuminashi). Both the stand speed and the real road speeds.