I tend to believe that something is not right

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

icyd
Year: 2012
Color: white

I tend to believe that something is not right

Post by icyd »

Since i got my pcx 2 weeks ago,the noise during acceleration has been bugging me.already posted here about initial juddering but that pretty much down to the clutch.this noise,sounds like something hammering inside the engine, but muffled.still loud enough to pierce thru helmet.its like the engine is strained but power is ok,i guess.it happens everytime i press on the throttle.more so when carrying passenger
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Re: I tend to believe that something is not right

Post by RideLondon »

It's 2 weeks old. Take it back if you're not 100% happy with it.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

icyd, tell us more please. I found your other thread about getting/riding/buying this PCX with 11k on the dial. You had said then, that it made noise. Who did you buy this PCX from? a dealer, private party or...? Also it might help us to know where you live. "There, I Said It Again...."

Help us to help you, more info Is better ;)

(Getting to be my motto, that one is :P )
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
icyd

Post by icyd »

That thread was about the shuddering which,after a little research could be pointed to the glazing clutch issue.this one is about the noise during acceleration. Yes i bought it used from a dealer who go it from someone as a trade in unit.so no warranty for me.the engine will protest by making such roar/growl upon being worked hard,especially with passenger.but it gets the job done nevertheless because apart from the noise,it pulls fine up to 62mph,maybe a bit more if i had more road ahead of me.but that was at wot,where it makes quite a racket being pushed like that,or i can say,not too refined as i had hoped it could be.could the exhaust be losing the absorbing material?as soon as 11k?
icyd

Post by icyd »

Sorry ive nvr owned a bike before,let alone a scooter.so im a bit loss
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

How old is the belt? Old rubber gets hard and I have seen/heard old belts making noise similar to what you describe. The extra stiff belt vibrates while under hard acceleration and makes noise against the variator plates and/or rear pulleys. My Burgman 400 has this problem with it's 9 year old but low milage belt. Does it make the noise if you accelerate slowly?
icyd

Post by icyd »

The dealer said they have changed it.they showed me no proof but i believed them.no,when accelerating slowly it doesn't make the sound
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

If the belt is new then that probably isn't the problem. The wrong size belt {too short or too long} could also cause vibration but that would also affect the performance. It might be a roller that is messed up or a loose variator. If the noise is very loud it really should be checked out to find the problem.

Even though you don't have a warranty the dealer should still be willing to at least test it and see what that noise is. It is possible it is normal{CVTs are not silent} or it could be something they didn't do right. Can't hurt to ask them.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

My 2015 PCX has now done almost 3000 miles and I ride mostly 30mph max in town. Never gone above 40 or so and never full throttle starts. However, I've always thought my bike is louder/noiser than many others that seem to purr. Even now that the bike is broken in, when pulling away I still do not like the noise of the belt or clutch or whatever when starting off from still - it seems something still 'chudders' or knocks on something before the bike is moving. Wish it was smooth like motorbikes when pulling away, but I guess some belt/clutch combo's are just noisy.
icyd

Post by icyd »

The thing with these kind of issues is that if it's an issue at all to the mind of the dealer.i mean they've got their money they'll likely brush it off as 'it's normal'.id rather not waste my time chasing after them. Iceman,my thought is exactly like yours.I've seen a yamaha scooter pull off beside me at the lights,it way less noisier.Yesterday I've pushed it till it hits rev limiter.still only 3/4 throttle at 64 ish mph.so performance is pretty much there