Please share thoughts on Kymco Downtown 300i with me.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

bountybuddy
Regular User
Regular User

Please share thoughts on Kymco Downtown 300i with me.

Post by bountybuddy »

There is a good chance I will buy a new 2014 or 2015 Kymco Downtown 300i. I've considered the Forxa 300 but it weighs 50 more pounds and the DT300i gets better gas mileage. I sure hope I buy the right scooter for me. Thank you for your help. Ride safe my friends.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Please share thoughts on Kymco Downtown 300i with me.

Post by tbln930 »

I like it a lot except that the seat doesn't fit my height at 5' 11". It was real tight. I test rode one twice including about a 20 mile ride the second time. A seat redo would be in order. I do find with my Forza I like having the extra weight on the interstate with the wind and gusts. It is a bit more stable at high speeds. I think in actual use the mileage is pretty close on both (67-70).
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

The difference in real world fuel economy numbers on Fuelly is so negligible I don't think that should sway your decision. I personally like the Downtown 300i's sporty style better but the Forza has a better riding position.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Intersting playing with http://cycle-ergo.com/ between the two. On my computer, the middle rolling wheel fades between choices, and makes the differences in riding position pretty apparent. Which is better, I can't tell you, but at least it could make you more aware when sitting on one or the other.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

He said he is 5'9" so he should be fine on either. Actually, the Kymco might be better for him since you sit so low on the Forza.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

bountybuddy wrote:There is a good chance I will buy a new 2014 or 2015 Kymco Downtown 300i. I've considered the Forxa 300 but it weighs 50 more pounds and the DT300i gets better gas mileage. I sure hope I buy the right scooter for me. Thank you for your help. Ride safe my friends.
The weight difference isn't 50lbs.
Kymco quotes dry weight, Honda quotes fully fuelled ready to go weight.
The actual difference is around 30lbs.

Fuel consumption depends on how you ride it.
Both scooters do roughly the same mileage, there's really nothing in it.
The Kymco needs more frequent maintenance but its much easier to do for the home mechanic, better access to the engine with screw and locknut valve adjusters as opposed to the Forza's shims.

The only thing you need to check before buying is that you actually fit them.
Don't commit to buy either without at least sitting on it first.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

cannot comment on the Kymco but I think any extra weight is an advantage...as tbln says the Forza sits the road well due to being fairly heavy....before getting the Forza I was almost put off by reading negative comments re the weight...but am really glad I ignored that eventually...weight in my book is a good thing ...within reason .
I am 5ft 10 ins and would not want to be much taller on a Forza...so testing is important....but horses for courses...both bikes get good reviews....the comments on the Kymco being easier to home service may be a factor however.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I finally got to test ride a Silver Wing which adds over a hundred lbs on the Forza and and I decided the Forza is perfect on my Ozark mountain roads yet it does fine on the interstate for short to medium hops. Pushing them around stopped is another issue when you get above 500 lbs or so for some. Try them before you buy them.

SECoda/tbln930
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Post by AKforza »

Like others here I have found weight to be a benefit at speed and dealing with windage. Recently did a 450 mile trip with some heavy trade winds nailing both myself and buddy riding a Vstorm . We had similar experience with how the bikes handling was in windy conditions. I was glad for the extra weight.
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

Having owned a number of bikes over the years I have the following comments. Light is good at speeds 45 mph or less, the Forza is still just ok up to 55, although it will go much faster. The smaller ones feel like a leaf at higher speeds and a little twitchy for my liking. Heavy is best for 50 mph up and certainly best for freeway riding and long hauls. Kymco or Honda I don't know which is the best machine. Honda will probably have more resale value if that's important to you. I would recommend trying out a Yamaha Majesty or Suzuki Burgman before buying.