Battery issues

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Battery issues

Post by Larry David »

I have bought a new battery for my bike as the other one packed up and the shop charged it up for me. I put it in the bike last night and the bike started with no issues.

This morning however, the bike really struggled to start. It took a lot of pushing the starter button and pulling back on the throttle. When I left work to get home, it started first time but was extremely laboured.

Can anybody advise as to what the issue could be? Could it be a duff battery or something?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Battery issues

Post by DAB »

Sounds like the battery is not charging well, how long is your drive to work, do you use stop/start and is it still under warrantee?
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Put a charger on it at night, every night, for a while. It sounds like the charge the dealer put on it was what is known as a surface charge, which doesn't do much for the battery except get you going out the door. It needs at least 10 miles of riding to start to recharge it after a cold start. The Start/Stop button can drain the battery quickly if you have a lot of it in a short time. Get a battery tender and hook the leads to the battery permanently so that you can easily plug the charger in. If you live where you have to leave the bike outside, cold will drain a battery too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

Thanks for the replies. My journey to work is about 15 mins - about 6 miles. Unfortunately I don't have a garage so it stays outside. However, it was outside all of last winter and I never had any issues, always started. I think I'm going to have to invest in a charger although I can't see how I'm going to be able to have leads permanently attached to the battery when I use the bike everyday and it has to stay outside.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Where car batteries are concerned, apparently storing them in warm conditions causes greater self-discharge than storing them in colder climes (from google, which surprised me when I read about this as I thought keeping a battery warm was best - not so). Actually, storing camera lithium batteries in plastic in the fridge is also mentioned as best to preserve their life, rather than leaving them in warm rooms.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Larry David wrote:Thanks for the replies. My journey to work is about 15 mins - about 6 miles. Unfortunately I don't have a garage so it stays outside. However, it was outside all of last winter and I never had any issues, always started. I think I'm going to have to invest in a charger although I can't see how I'm going to be able to have leads permanently attached to the battery when I use the bike everyday and it has to stay outside.
If it was ok last year getting a charger will not help as there is a problem. Check all connections for corrosion. Suspect the new battery is ok, maybe charging system is not.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Larry David , was your issue ever remedied ?.