Should i add reflective tape to my helmet?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Should i add reflective tape to my helmet?

Post by yak »

I visited a bicycle forum and they had lots of sites for reflective tape ( streetglo.com, reflectivlyyours.com, identi-tape.com). There were also recommendations to buy DOT conspicuity tape at an auto parts store. Home Depot sells the tape you put on a mailbox to make it show at night. One of my helmets is red with metallic paint. Should i add tape to that? Or is the metallic finish enuf?
One person said that reflective tape on the back of a helmet might be annoying to a driver behind me.
Would aluminum tape (the tape used to seal air conditioning ductwork) work? I already have lots of that.
Would you also recommend that i put reflective tape around the sides and back of the scooter?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Should i add reflective tape to my helmet?

Post by homie »

Yes it helps a lot... I have some on my helmet too.
Silver duct tape? not so much :)

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3212
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

yak wrote:I visited a bicycle forum and they had lots of sites for reflective tape ( streetglo.com, reflectivlyyours.com, identi-tape.com). There were also recommendations to buy DOT conspicuity tape at an auto parts store. Home Depot sells the tape you put on a mailbox to make it show at night. One of my helmets is red with metallic paint. Should i add tape to that? Or is the metallic finish enuf?
One person said that reflective tape on the back of a helmet might be annoying to a driver behind me.
Would aluminum tape (the tape used to seal air conditioning ductwork) work? I already have lots of that.
Would you also recommend that i put reflective tape around the sides and back of the scooter?

Having yourself and the bike dipped in dayglo wouldn't be enough for some around here :D
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Unless someone is tailgating about 6 inches away from your rear tire with their high-beams on, it's doubtful that it would annoy anyone.

I say go for it. If you're crafty, you can also make some interesting designs with them.

Being a simpleton, I simply stuck some on the rear and sides of my PCX to compliment the ones already on my jacket and pants. I don't have reflective tape on my helmet. If they can't see the ones I already have, a few more pieces on the helmet won't make a difference.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

I have these on all of my helmets: http://www.reflectivedecals.com/arai1a.htm

There are countries where reflectors on helmets are law, it doesn´t annoy anybody. Your helmet is the only thing you are going to use on all of your rides, as jackets and trousers are inter changeable so the best bet to use reflectors is the helmet. IMO they don´t help you to be seen any more on the bike, but can be the difference between being run over or not if you fall off at night.

Having said "at night" that implies that the following drivers have their low beams on to have light to reflect, unfortunately many people on the rainy island I live on don´t do that and prefer to drive around at night with parking lights only. Hence the widespread use of day-glo colours in the UK for adverse driving conditions.

One other thing to consider: Is your helmet made with a plastic outer shell or carbon fiber? If its plastic, the glue on the stickers shouldn´t have any solvents as that can weaken it.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I have a set from Streetglo. This is the best visibility you can add for $25.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

My LS2 helmets actually came with white reflective stickers in the box. I immediately stuck them on. The helmet is statistically proven to be by far the most important place to consider for visibility.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Then why not buy a White helmet sendler, adding reflective tape as well? I must say, I do like the look of your lid and your tapes reflective pattern. B&W is a popular mix. My scoot, as example. What about the hi-viz helmets? Think they speak out enough? Or should reflective tape be added? Does the stickiness affect the helmets surface over time?
I purchased this tape awhile back from a recommendation on another forum. I have yet to cut and place it.
Attachments
IMG_2784.JPG
IMG_2784.JPG (26.33 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
IMG_2782.2.jpg
IMG_2782.2.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

My daughter's helmet is white. I would have purchased white myself as they are much cooler and more visible than black. But I bought both of my Schuberths on ebay and they were both black. Adding reflective tape to any helmet is a no brainer for visibility at night. I have had friends that saw me on the road at night tell me that they saw my helmet reflective tape from 100's of yards away. Modern helmets are finished with high quality materials. There is no way that adding reflective film will ever harm the shell.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

PS. I have colored tape that I never ended up using. You may want to take a piece of your black tape outside at night to test it with a flashlight next to a good piece of white tape. You might be disappointed in how bright it is not.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for that helpful info. sendler :P Interesting, I'll have to order some white reflective tape to compare the two as you mentioned. Here is a link to the reviews and comments made on the tape I bought pictured above:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Reflec ... B000NPNXP6

I just read a handful of those reviews & it seems a lot has to do with where the tape gets applied. Two or more angled surfaces do not "show off" as well 90 degree angles (when light hits it). Surely 'that' makes (common) sense. If you put enough of it on your scoot, luggage, helmet I would think you'd "show off" enough no matter what angles you chose. Of course you wouldn't want buckling or bubbles, so those angles should be avoided.

homie placed plenty of his white reflective 7mm tape all around his scoot Shay, it came out great, with lots of, can you "see me."
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic

Post by yak »

From forum-member White Noise (Here is a link to the reviews and comments made on the tape I bought pictured above:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Reflec ... B000NPNXP6)

Thanks for that link. 2 of the reviewers mentioned something i had never thought of. All reflective tape is intended to reflect from far away. At a distance of 200 feet, it catches another driver's attention. You don't get the full effect when you shine a flashlight on it in a darkened room... or when a car is close behind you with its headlights on.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You know I really don't know what people see in the headlights, only what I see with a cell phone camera. Since the installation of reflective tape it's out of sight out of mind to the rider day and night if it matches the color of the bike like mine. But I could film from various distances at night in the headlights of my parked car whilst doing some figure eights... sounds like a video project 8)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

yak wrote:You don't get the full effect when you shine a flashlight on it in a darkened room... or when a car is close behind you with its headlights on.
Huh? Not true. A good quality white reflective film lights up like crazy when any light hits it from anywhere and any angle at any distance. The stuff seems to defy the laws of physics. The dark red tape I bought, not so much.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:
yak wrote:You don't get the full effect when you shine a flashlight on it in a darkened room... or when a car is close behind you with its headlights on.
Huh? Not true. A good quality white reflective film lights up like crazy when any light hits it from anywhere and any angle at any distance. The stuff seems to defy the laws of physics. The dark red tape I bought, not so much.

For maximum visibility I've taken to dowsing myself in petrol and igniting

It's the only way to be safe.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:For maximum visibility I've taken to dowsing myself in petrol and igniting
It's the only way to be safe.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Some of my wife's cooking has the same effect. o_O

I am dead meat if she ever finds this forum.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic

Post by yak »

homie wrote:Yes it helps a lot... I have some on my helmet too.

Your reflective tape looks great. Were you tempted to do the wheels? I read the Amazon reviews of the wheel tape; lots of frustration getting it perfect; but very cool when it's done.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

yak wrote:
homie wrote:Yes it helps a lot... I have some on my helmet too.

Your reflective tape looks great. Were you tempted to do the wheels? I read the Amazon reviews of the wheel tape; lots of frustration getting it perfect; but very cool when it's done.
I did try the 7/16 reflective wheel stripe on the rims but the 14's are curving harder than 7/16's wants to bend. The result is distortion of the sensitive reflective material as you over work the application trying to form it to the curve. I gave it up for standard pin stripe and then realized it had its own appeal plus remember every time you change tires you start the wheel stripe process over.

There are some wheel stripe kits out there for the 14's and some that don't follow a continuous circle thus making application alignment more forgiving. You will pay more for these and cuss more when you don't get them on right. Because when you are done, and you spin that wheel... wobble is hard to be proud of and crap is crap LOL.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Throwing some more ideas out:

-I read somewhere that contrasting colors for the reflective tape are more effective than a single color. Red with white, for example. This holds true even though the red tape is slightly less reflective than the white tape. US DOT conspicuity regulations specify alternating red/white stripes.

-Car headlight beams are aimed low to the road. Your tape may reflect more light when placed lower. (of course, even better if placed low and more are placed high)

-Google "Battenburg Markings" These are contrasting striping on emergency vehicles. Different colors for different types of vehicles. Rear markings are an inverted "V" pattern. Primarily in use in Europe. The research behind the marking system is fascinating (at least to this former first responder).

Here in the US, I haven't seen the Battenburg side markings, but the rear inverted "V" markings are now common in my area on fire trucks and ambulances.

Finally, remember that bright colors and reflective tape help you be seen but are not a "force field" protecting you.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?