Replacing the oil for fun!?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

MorgsPCX
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Replacing the oil for fun!?

Post by MorgsPCX »

I should start by highlighting the fact that this is my first post here, so go easy on me! :)

I've owned my 2013 PCX 125 from new (Aug 2013) and have just covered 3500 miles.
Having referred to the owner manual for any maintenance advice, I believe I may have misinterpreted the oil change frequency!?

After checking the service schedule, I thought the oil needed changing not just after the first 600 miles, but every 600 miles! Having been in disbelief about the fact, I accepted that such a small amount of oil would start to lose it's protecting properties a lot sooner! So I almost resigned myself to performing it's 6th oil change this weekend but thought I'd double check my understanding of the service schedule again... and then it dawned on me! :oops:

On the plus side, I have a great running engine and I'd consider myself quite proficient at the oil change job now!
Anyone else care to share any similar misunderstandings?! :lol:
Morgs
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Re: Replacing the oil for fun!?

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

:lol:

Oh, and welcome. :)
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

It doesn't hurt to change oil so frequently as long as it's appropriate oil of course. It only costs money (and time).
:D
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

My brother is on a dusty farm and changes his oil on his Kymco Agility 125 every 600 miles and does the air filter more frequently too. I am 100% pavement with normal riding and follow the manual.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Ha, there are lots of ways to screw up a scooter.....but keeping fresh/clean oil in the engine ain't one of them. Our Honda probably doesn't need new oil at 600miles ...but my little kymco 163cc scoot gets it that often (was even warned that I'd ruin the drain plug doing it that often )...but will likely go twice that on my Forza. (But keep that under your hat!!)
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I once stripped the thread on a drain plug the day before I was going on a 1000 mile weekend trip.
The drain plug ended up held in there for months with PTFE plumbers tape.
This was on a Suzuki GS850
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Sowaka
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by Sowaka »

I'm actually a little curious about this... I've owned my PCX for two months but haven't even put 200 miles on it yet. The book says it should go for its first oil change after 600 miles or one month... should I take it in now, or just wait for it to hit 600 miles?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I asked my service guy that very question and he said they need to update that to maybe six months.
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

SECoda wrote:I asked my service guy that very question and he said they need to update that to maybe six months.
Thanks, looks like six months might be when I hit 600 miles on the thing anyhow! One month sounded ridiculously short when you can drive the thing 600 miles before needed an oil change. Sort of sucks that it has to be done so frequently though ) :
andyscooter

Post by andyscooter »

why so little use o_O

first bike i had i picked up late on the saturday and booked it in for its first service on the following thursday and that was a 1000 mile

second one had done over 30000 in three years

milage stays lower now as i have two so split it
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

andyscooter wrote:why so little use o_O

first bike i had i picked up late on the saturday and booked it in for its first service on the following thursday and that was a 1000 mile

second one had done over 30000 in three years

milage stays lower now as i have two so split it
I'm still riding on a learner's license so no riding in the dark. Plus I live in a gigantic city and everything is fairly close, even though I'm going on the road every other day I'm not putting many miles on it. Biggest problem is that it costs $10 a day to park a bike anywhere near where I work, I have to take public transit to work and only use the scoot for other activities. It's a bit of a shame ) :