Upgrading the rear wheel to a thicker tire?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Sowaka
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Black

Upgrading the rear wheel to a thicker tire?

Post by Sowaka »

Hey guys! As always... I've got another question!

I've been hearing nothing but good things about the Michelin City Grip tires so I've been looking to upgrade from the standard tires my PCX came with... Unfortunately they're essentially brand new but since winter is coming I figure I ought to prepare myself for the ridiculous amounts of rain my city gets.

Anyhow, after calling my dealership I was told that it's possible to upgrade the standard 100-90 14" rear wheel to a larger 110-80 14" tire for not even $10 more due to current deals. Has anyone done this or does anyone know of any consequences? I understand that it'll likely lower my top speed ever so slightly but I have yet to hit the top speed so I'm not tremendously worried.

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated! Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Upgrading the rear wheel to a thicker tire?

Post by gn2 »

Just fit the correct size of City Grip.
There's no advantage to fitting the wrong tyres.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Since I only ride for fun when it is dry is there still any advantage to the MG's over new stock? How many miles do the stock ones typically last? TIA
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you have the IRC tyres the rears generally last 4-6 thousand miles.
City Grips last much longer.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

There are advantages to a bigger tire; like more choices, ground clearance and extra suspension... but go with stock if it sounds to EXTREME! :lol:
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

The diameter is a tiny bit less (2 mm) so it should not make significant difference. But I wonder how the wider tire would change behavior and grip . Is wider better ?
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

wojtek_pl wrote:The diameter is a tiny bit less (2 mm) so it should not make significant difference. But I wonder how the wider tire would change behavior and grip . Is wider better ?
I'm talking about the 140 vs. the 100... grip is improved and behavior I would say is "smoother".
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Wider could reduce your fuel economy. It will increase traction offroads too.

There's no compelling benefit to a wider tire on a scooter, it's all about looks, preference, and price. You don't run a safety risk running a larger tire, as long as all the clearances are the same. If you feel like doing it, go for it. Dasshreddar put a way bigger tire on his PCX, and has had no issues whatsoever.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll likely just stick to the default tire to avoid any potential complications since it doesn't seem like an upgrade would make a significant difference. Rather than city grips I may end up with Pirelli Diablo tires since performance-wise they seem the same but are being discounted for me because the dealership wants to get rid of them.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Sowaka wrote:Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll likely just stick to the default tire to avoid any potential complications since it doesn't seem like an upgrade would make a significant difference. Rather than city grips I may end up with Pirelli Diablo tires since performance-wise they seem the same but are being discounted for me because the dealership wants to get rid of them.
You should carefully read this long winded thread;

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2647

Here you will re-live the entire story of a man and his Pirelli Diablo in oversized application on the PCX with images and insights. I would like to review a similar story on the Michelin equivalent oversize upgrade in (front 120/70-14 - rear 140/70-14) but I haven't dug one out yet to fav.
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

homie wrote:
Sowaka wrote:Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll likely just stick to the default tire to avoid any potential complications since it doesn't seem like an upgrade would make a significant difference. Rather than city grips I may end up with Pirelli Diablo tires since performance-wise they seem the same but are being discounted for me because the dealership wants to get rid of them.
You should carefully read this long winded thread;

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2647

Here you will re-live the entire story of a man and his Pirelli Diablo in oversized application on the PCX with images and insights. I would like to review a similar story on the Michelin equivalent oversize upgrade in (front 120/70-14 - rear 140/70-14) but I haven't dug one out yet to fav.
Thanks for the link, gave me quite a few insights in regards to upgrading tire size! After reading everything I think I'll definitely stick to standard sizes, it seems like more of a risk to upgrade their size with too many cons that outweighs the minor pros. The scoot does look fantastic with those larger wheels though, damn!
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

Sorry, one more question! I was about to pull the trigger on my new tires but a friend (who has a lot of experience with car tires but none at all with scooter/motorcycle tires) said that the treads on both the City Grip and Diablo tires would be bad in rain and would be more likely to hydroplane. Does anyone know if this was true? I was under the impression that the Pirelli Diablo tires would be especially good in rainy conditions, which is incredibly important to me due to the fact that my city is often called "Raincouver" due to the ridiculous and random rain we often get.

Sorry for the trouble, and tanks again for any help!
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

In my opinion both tires would not be perfect in the rain. Find the one with central groove.
It all depends if you want summer tires, all season, rain only or winter only...
Personally I like the look of Heidenau K66 tires. :D
http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/modul ... =58&pic=60

Pirelli Diablo - IMO too much of smooth rubber, not enough grooves - typical summer tire
Michelin City Grip - IMO looks better than Pirelli but again - summer tire.

Of course that is my personal opinion based only on the pictures. :?
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

What do they cost?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

UK prices: http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto/100-90-14-tyres
There are two K66 tyres, the standard year round one and the winter specific one.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Not bad. Similar to Michelin. 5 C is getting pretty cool for me even with Thinsulate gloves and helmet vents closed at moderate speeds. o_O. I tried it at 42 F one cold morning. Brrr

That wakes you up in a hurry. :o
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

Thanks for all the help! I'm a little curious, is the tread pattern or the tire material more important for wet handling? The Pirelli Diablos say they're fantastic for wet handling but the tread pattern looks a bit wimpy compared in the K66s... The K66 tires look fantastic and if my dealer can supply them I may just end up slapping those on my bike.

I'm mostly concerned because I'm a new rider and my city is just approaching the winter and fall season where it could potentially be raining and wet for the majority of the next six months. I want to be sure I put something on there that's reliable and steady on dry and wet roads, since I don't put many miles on my bike I'm going to be using these for the next two years at least. Being inexperienced already makes me a hazard, I don't want to make it even worse by buying tires that aren't going to handle the wet city roads well : (
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I see them here in the USA at various places. You can order them here if no where up there.

Even on EBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350965883202?lpid=82
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Michelin City Grip is the daddy.
Anything else is less.
Compound matters but in heavy rain without sipes it makes no odds how good the compound is.
Both are necessary for a good wet performance.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Anyone here used the City Grip Winter tyres?