Inflating cold/hot tyres

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

anavi13

Inflating cold/hot tyres

Post by anavi13 »

Hi,
just a quick question:
Am I right in thinking that when inflating 'warm' tyres I need to aim for pressure that's slightly higher than the recommended 29/33 psi?
I got a very simple digital pressure gauge today, went to check the tyres on my parked pcx and found it to be a bit lower than it should. To inflate the tyres I have to ride a couple of miles to my local petrol station and use the air pressure hose facilities there, as I don't have an air pump. I don't want to over-inflate but by the time the tyres have cooled down again the pressure will go down a little, right?
Many thanks
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Re: Inflating cold/hot tyres

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

that is what i would do. obviously warmer air takes up more space thus more pressure.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Get yourself a foot pump or a cycle track pump.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
anavi13

Post by anavi13 »

gn2 wrote:Get yourself a foot pump or a cycle track pump.
Thanks, probably will. Although I guess the obvious thing would be to go check the pressure again and let some air out if needed, once I've come back from the petrol station and been parked for a while :)
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

foot pump / Track pump would be a PITA, i would say ride there gently, relax for a bit, then do the tyres. Don't think it'll make masses of difference. a little over-inflation won't hurt!

Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

No.
The obvious thing is to get your own pump.
Track pump isn't a problem, a few strokes is all it will ever need.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

it's all i need ;-P

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I agree with gn2, buy an air pump. I have a Slime and it works great. Scroll down this page for pics: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... t=Air+pump
I have had many vehicles in my life, and have made it a self taught rule to always check tires while cold. Accuracy counts (in my book). :? Anal, remember?
My tires carry my life on their treads. Think about that.
I check the pressure every two weeks on my scoot and monthly on my truck. I then plus or minus to the manufacturer's suggested pressure. Be aware that changes in climate temps affect your tire pressure as well. Be Safe(r), ck. them. They're easy habits to develop (I hope you care to) :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

And......a very good tire pressure gauge will help too. Invest in proper tools.

Oopsie....forgot to Welcome you. Sorry fellow PCX'er, Bizz got the best of me this time :|
Glad you found your way here, Cheers!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
anavi13

Post by anavi13 »

WhiteNoise wrote:And......a very good tire pressure gauge will help too. Invest in proper tools.

Oopsie....forgot to Welcome you. Sorry fellow PCX'er, Bizz got the best of me this time :|
Glad you found your way here, Cheers!

:) Thanks very much! I do care, though at the age of 32 this is the first vehicle I've owned so all of the technical stuff is, unfortunately, a bit of a mystery. Hence joining here and trawling the forum for useful info every day!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Excellent!!!
We will help and guide you the best we can! Keep that in mind, okay? ;) "No" question is silly. Ask away!
So many adventures in life await you! Grab onto those Happy times and roll with it! :P
anavi13

Post by anavi13 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Excellent!!!
We will help and guide you the best we can! Keep that in mind, okay? ;) "No" question is silly. Ask away!
So many adventures in life await you! Grab onto those Happy times and roll with it! :P
That's the plan! :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

anavi13 wrote:Hi,
just a quick question:
Am I right in thinking that when inflating 'warm' tyres I need to aim for pressure that's slightly higher than the recommended 29/33 psi?
I got a very simple digital pressure gauge today, went to check the tyres on my parked pcx and found it to be a bit lower than it should. To inflate the tyres I have to ride a couple of miles to my local petrol station and use the air pressure hose facilities there, as I don't have an air pump. I don't want to over-inflate but by the time the tyres have cooled down again the pressure will go down a little, right?
Many thanks

Don't worry about it too much. Just pop some air in if the tyres need it.
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

I use a digital tyre inflator that I got from Halfords. Use it for the car and the scoot as well. It runs off the cigarette lighter so would only be useful to you if you have the new PCX with the power outlet in the glovebox. Mine being the older one, I just park it next to the car and run the pump from the car. I check pressures every other week on the bike just to be on the safe side.
2011 Honda PCX 125
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

When I was in Lidl on Sunday they had cycle floor pumps for a fiver, if you're quick they might still have some.