A tragic reminder for us all... Warning : Graphic content

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

A tragic reminder for us all... Warning : Graphic content

Post by binje »

Hey all

Saw this video posted online yesterday and a biker buddy sent me the link to it as well (who happens to be the same age and has the same bike as the guy in the video). A very harrowing and tragic video about a guy who was killed while riding.... People in the UK may have seen this... sent shivers up and down my spine when I saw it.. Really scared me and made me evaluate again how I ride... Just goes to show... enjoy the ride but always always always be safe... Just wanted to share as a reminder that even with loads of experience, you cant predict the actions of other road users... Always be safe fellow PCXers.

Warning again.. this is a video of the crash from the guy's helmet cam.. people of nervous disposition may not want to watch this.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2014-09- ... ike-crash/
2011 Honda PCX 125
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Re: A tragic reminder for us all... Warning : Graphic conten

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

This is insaine!! Its rarely the riders fault....but it's silly going 90+mph on that road!!!

Ride careful everyone and think!
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

90+ MPH on a secondary road. .
Image, Image
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

That guy would still be alive if he were on a PCX. Video said he was going 100mph. Speed kills. And other drivers when they quickly scan aren't able to predict that you're doing double the speed limit.

Good reminder to slow down. Because even my PCX can triple the speed limit in some places!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I have cars turn in front of me all the time that are under the impression I'm going the speed limit not 95 mph. Scooterman hit that nail on the head!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

With those driving habits it was just a matter of time.
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

Steph wrote:I have cars turn in front of me all the time that are under the impression I'm going the speed limit not 95 mph. Scooterman hit that nail on the head!
ScooterMan wrote:That guy would still be alive if he were on a PCX. Video said he was going 100mph. Speed kills. And other drivers when they quickly scan aren't able to predict that you're doing double the speed limit.

Good reminder to slow down. Because even my PCX can triple the speed limit in some places!
Couldnt agree more. I am a bit saddened that the videos didnt actually put more emphasis on the fact that motorcyclists should be more aware of how dangerous speeding is. But hopefully it serves as a tragic reminder for us all.

The video below is the one I actually intended to put on which shows the actual crash. I feel it should still be shared. Yes our PCXs cant hit a ton but speed in the wrong place is dangerous. Always be careful and safe people...

A warning... As I said, the link below has the actual crash... people of nervous disposition may not want to watch this.

http://www.wisbechstandard.co.uk/news/v ... _1_3757673
2011 Honda PCX 125
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

I wouldn't say it's "speed" alone, but rather speeding at the wrong place. On a highway with only one direction of traffic(no turns anywhere on the stretch), he would have been fine. On a two-lane path where nothing could turn into your path(thinking "The Dragon" here), he probably would've been fine.

But yeah, I did break both the bones in my lower leg going at 10 mph, so I doubt more speed would have improved that.

Going slow near turning traffic is a must, as they can't accurately judge when you'll arrive due to the relative size of your vehicle. That, and it really doesn't matter who's "right" at the end of the day. Only thing that matters is who walks away from it alive.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its the rapid deceleration that gets you.
At least he only killed himself.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

gn2 wrote:Its the rapid deceleration that gets you.
My thoughts exactly, and I don't mean to be a dick with that thought. A traffic accident can involve other vehicles, possibly with fatalities, and possibly with children. No way in hell is it ever worth the risk, whether I have to live with it or not.

My thoughts as I was in the ER was "at least it was just me". When contemplating safety gear, nothing is worth more than the thought that other people's safety will be at risk as well if I go down.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
gn2 wrote:Its the rapid deceleration that gets you.
My thoughts exactly, and I don't mean to be a dick with that thought. A traffic accident can involve other vehicles, possibly with fatalities, and possibly with children. No way in hell is it ever worth the risk, whether I have to live with it or not.

My thoughts as I was in the ER was "at least it was just me". When contemplating safety gear, nothing is worth more than the thought that other people's safety will be at risk as well if I go down.

It's a bit surprising he has lasted that long.

Not really the image of motorcycling you would like to portray.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I agree. It is foolish enough to be going that speed, but when you consider how that might affect others if you crash, it just isn't worth it. I have gone that speed before, but I was on a track. It was scary. Imagine the effort you have to put into controlling the bike. Then imagine how impossible it would be to try to make the bike change course immediately. It just doesn't change course that quickly.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

SPEEDING!!!!!!
I saw this just yesterday on another forum. I was speechless. Today, I'm viewing it here. It saddens and sickens me.
This smart(?) young man was wrong. Period. If he were a law abiding responsible rider, this accident would not have occurred. 97 mph? C'mon, what's that all about? Living on the edge. On...the...edge! Poof! Gone baby gone.
The vehicle that entered his path (at proper speed) didn't know what hit him! How do you think he feels today? Emotionally. As the driver I don't think I would have seen him as He approached like a bat out of hell!
The mother speaks of her son as if he did nothing wrong. After all He was having a wonderful fun-filled day. He just loved speeding. Car, bike anything. Zoom, zoom. Wait,...she did give us all a bit of a warning about speed. Whatever. Your son didn't listen.
Okay, very cool! Ugh! He ultimately ended his life, Mom! He was out of control.

God bless you Mom, when you come down to earth again and get past the shock. He's not on vacation, he's taken his last ride! I couldn't have chatted with the press the way you did. I'd be looking something like that car that stopped him in his tracks! I'd be broken, so very very broken. Rest in peace young man.
(I should have left this thread alone). Oh my God, so sad.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015

Post by Kenno »

To be fair, I think it's quite brave to allow the video to be used as a warning. She'd come off quite harsh if she was slating her recently deceased son for speeding etc. But it's clear to see that's the case in the video and the fact is a lot of people ride/drive at those speeds occasionally. Hopefully some will see the video and think twice. I agree about the driver of the car. They wouldn't have been able to judge his speed but now must be feeling terrible. That's going to stay with them sadly.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh no no. I did not mean for the Mom to portray her son badly :|
I'm just not interested in hearing how "he" loved speed and the fun n joy it brought him riding or driving. Nope, I close my ears. He was abusive. He made me wonder if he had a death wish. I still wonder.
What I wrote was my initial reaction listening to her and watching that horrific Real video.
Personally, "I must remember" that that was her reaction on camera. Right or wrong, it was her painful reaction. She lost her son. I'm amazed she could speak never mind say what "I" wanted to hear.
Pardon my ignorance. I spoke off the top of my head. Sorry.
God Bless You, dear lady. Know that your son will always be in your heart and yours in his.

To me and the rest of ye....this is real, it happened :( This was Go-Pro moment, caught in real-time. Let us learn from it. Ride responsibly with respect for yourself and others. We have speed limits even though the signs are sometimes mia, we Do know better.

"Slow down, you move to fast......"
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015

Post by Kenno »

Sorry. Wasn't having a go. I re-read my post and it may have come across that way. As a non-rider (soon to change) I probably took a different interpretation of the video. In a way, not apologizing for or highlighting the general recklessness makes it a more effective message, albeit at the risk of generalising that it's accepted 'bikers' ride like that. It speaks to the people who do take those risks without thinking of the consequences. Now, maybe some will.
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

No one wanted the mother to portray her son in a bad light and it was extremely brave of her to allow the video to be used. However, (and I agree with Kenno on this) it sort of sends a message that this is how bikers will ride and that its the responsibility of car drivers to be careful. It would have been better in my opinion (especially for the more impressionable) if it was made clear in no uncertain terms that the speed limits are there for a reason and should be adhered to.

Still gives me the shivers when I think about that video... Very powerful stuff... Like WhiteNoise said, this was real. We actually witness the moment a person lost their life... I hope the mother's brave decision will help to avert similar tragedies....
2011 Honda PCX 125
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

binje wrote:No one wanted the mother to portray her son in a bad light and it was extremely brave of her to allow the video to be used. However, (and I agree with Kenno on this) it sort of sends a message that this is how bikers will ride and that its the responsibility of car drivers to be careful. It would have been better in my opinion (especially for the more impressionable) if it was made clear in no uncertain terms that the speed limits are there for a reason and should be adhered to.

Still gives me the shivers when I think about that video... Very powerful stuff... Like WhiteNoise said, this was real. We actually witness the moment a person lost their life... I hope the mother's brave decision will help to avert similar tragedies....
Depends on the local legislature, but I generally found that to be true at least here in Hawaii. Straight stretches on a wide one-way road typically has a speed limit of 35 mph(highest outside of the freeways). The twisty death trap that slipped up my PCX had a helpful 10 mph sign at the corners, which I stuck to, but broke my leg anyway.

It's funny how dismissive drivers are of those signs until you start paying attention to the number of intersections and driveways that cars can dart out of.