Mid life crisis sorted with the new 2015 pcx 125

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

zippy

Mid life crisis sorted with the new 2015 pcx 125

Post by zippy »

Hi all from a newbie.
We have just took delivery of a new 2015 pcx in white and love it to bits.
This is so smooth and quite. The stop start works great and the led lights look awsome. I'm 6 ft 2 and this bike doesn't feel small at all. Looking forward to passing our test so we can get rid of the L plates I don't know why they aren't made smaller for the front.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Mid life crisis sorted with the new 2015 pcx 125

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to hondapcx.og .... and mid life ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

So glad we don't have the L plate thing where I live. Why do they have it?
zippy

Post by zippy »

Thanks kramnala58.
Hi steph the L plates are for all new learner drivers who haven't passed their full motorbike licence.
You have to do a day of compulsory basic training then your can ride on L plates for two years. You can do your test any after that to gain your licence.
Its a bit silly as Ive had a full car driving licence for 28 years.
The problem is that the L plates are two big for then bike and your not allowed to make them smaller or I would get 3 points on my licence and a £60 fine. If I got 12 points on my licence I would be banned from driving for a while.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I've been driving a car for almost 30 years with 19 years no claims, but having taken to two wheels and a scooter, let alone a bike with gears for the first time!, passing a CBT is a bare minimum anyone should be allowed on the roads.

It's bad enough in London on four wheels, 3 months on two has made me even more aware of how bad most peoples driving is these days - with little chance of anything changing as people know they can do what they like and get away with most of it. Not indicating at junctions, pulling out after seeing you and pausing but then doing it anyway, overtaking at 60 in 30 zones, going through red lights - it's endless the 'don't give a ****' attitude and accident waiting to happen.
zippy

Post by zippy »

Yes I agree iceman I cycle a lot of the time and have experienced this a lot. I am more aware of what other drivers are going to do.
chigman

Post by chigman »

Hi and congrats on your new scoot :D I am also an 'L' plater with a new black 2015 PCX 8) and loving it :D
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@Zippy - BTW welcome to the forum. :D Thanks for the explanation of the L plate. Seen it mentioned a few times and now understand it better. In the US, No training is required to get the motorcycle endorsement on our driver's licence. But, It's recommended though. I took a written test and then a test where I ride around a few cones and was able to use my own scooter. In essence, I gave myself my own training. Once I took the written test, you get a temporary permit. It allows riding with another rider only, no passengers and no riding at night. expires in about four months. after a month of riding with my husband, I took the skills test. Only restriction is can't ride without a helmet for two years. No worries, not looking to go with out a helmet anyways! I like my brain! :lol:
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

Congratulations on the new scooter.

In California rules are:
Helmets are always required
Learner permit riders can't ride with a passenger, at night or on the freeways, don't need to ride with another motorcycle though. Learners permit expires in a year.

I'd hate riding with the L plate. Not sure how it does any good. Like "I think I'll pull out in front of that motorcycle that I didn't take time to notice. Oh wait, it has an L plate, I'd better wait for it."
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Duggle wrote:Not sure how it does any good.
It depends on other road users.
Decent ones will cut an L-plater some slack, arseholes don't.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Duggle wrote:Congratulations on the new scooter.

In California rules are:
Helmets are always required
Learner permit riders can't ride with a passenger, at night or on the freeways, don't need to ride with another motorcycle though. Learners permit expires in a year.

I'd hate riding with the L plate. Not sure how it does any good. Like "I think I'll pull out in front of that motorcycle that I didn't take time to notice. Oh wait, it has an L plate, I'd better wait for it."
Interesting the differences between California and Michigan. The written test is about 25 questions and I hear that in California is more. Is that so?
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

I think 25 sounds about right, I wasn't counting the number of questions though.

I was shocked at how many people were failing the written test though. I'm afraid they're all out on the road with me. I saw one lady had -9 on her car drivers license written test.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

I got one wrong. I studied. Also passed the skills test without any trouble. With each ride I gain more experience. :D