Combi Brake Lever Needs Adjustment

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Combi Brake Lever Needs Adjustment

Post by EddieC »

Edit: I have since made this into a how-to. You can find it here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=243

So my left (combi) brake lever has been feeling a little loose, and now my rear brake light remains constantly on while riding unless I push the handle out all the way. I have tried adjusting the free play with the rear brake adjusting nut, but once I had that properly adjusted, there is still slack in this brake lever

This is where the brake lever sits currently

another pic

and if I pull on the cable beyond the brake assembly, the slack goes away, telling me that this cable is what needs adjusting

So, I consulted my service manual because I was not seeing a way to adjust this cable, Here is what it says:

So, honda, WHY wouldnt you put the adjuster on the OTHER end of this cable? you know, where people can easily access it?

Anyway, my question is do you guys know where this adjuster is? Obviously I could just follow the cable, but I'm trying to save myself from removing more plastic then necessary. My service manual doesn't say which parts I have to remove to service this item. Just wondering if anyone has had to do this yet and can give me any pointers/hints

here is a blown up image of the adjuster

Thanks for the help!
Eddie
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Combi Brake Lever Needs Adjustment

Post by gn2 »

Presumably they put the adjuster out of the way in there to stop people fiddling with it...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

well in this case, some fiddling is necessary. Me thinks its hondas evil plan to make a simple cable adjustment take 2 hours of labor.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Seems that way.
Look on the bright side, you won't be charging yourself a penny.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

this is VERY true! but still frustrating! :oops:
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

okay! I haz a plan! After looking through more of the service manual, it seems that I can access this adjuster by removing the front windscreen/cover

Lets hope this is it =] but now I wont have time to do this until tomorrow =[
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

EddieC wrote: Image
What are the instructions for getting this panel off. I have tried before when fitting my 12v socket but i could not get it off, so i had to squeeze my hand in under it :p
Also hope you can get the leaver sorted out. good luck for tomorrow!
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Thank you! I will report back with success/defeat!

The instructions for that panel are as follows:
-Release the holes of the front meter panel from the bosses of the front cover stay
-Remove the front meter panel by releasing the hooks from the holes of the rear meter panel (be careful not to damage the hooks)
-Installation is in the reverse order of removal.

Dont know if that helps, but hopefully it does! I guess I'm going to get to see for myself tomorrow and will come back with tips if I have any
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Its hard to get off. I'm pretty sure i was doing it right from the instructions, so you will have to work out the trick required :p
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Looks like I'm going to have to admit defeat today. I blame honda completely... this is one of the worst locations for a cable adjuster.

Got the panels off that I needed to remove

Theres the adjuster!

Zoom in

So after many attempts of repositioning my wrench and trying to improvise with other tools, I have come to the decision that my wrenches are simply just too long for this job by THIS much

I gave it a good hour of trying everything I could throw at it but am feeling defeated... There just simply isnt enough room in this cavity to be able to fit a standard wrench. The pcx wins this time.... next step?? Reassemble, and drive to the hardware store to buy some mini wrenches. I'll probably drop by a hardware store or walmart on my lunch break at work tonight, and finish tomorrow.... I'm done today =] Time for a beer.
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

You are going to need some tiny tools to get that sorted :/
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Standard spanner + angle grinder = two mini spanners.
You should only have to move the spanner the distance between those fairing mount bars from the left to the right (as viewed in your pics) to undo the locknut.
The outer barrel should then be finger adjustable, then finger tighten the locknut and nip it up from right to left with the spanner.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

gn2 wrote:Standard spanner + angle grinder = two mini spanners.
You should only have to move the spanner the distance between those fairing mount bars from the left to the right (as viewed in your pics) to undo the locknut.
The outer barrel should then be finger adjustable, then finger tighten the locknut and nip it up from right to left with the spanner.
Haha! I even did think about cutting a 12mm wrench in half, but then I wouldn't have a complete standard wrench set. Also, yes I was trying to go from left to right hence loosening the lock nut, but my wrench had to start directly through the left fairing stay bar (in my pic you referred to). In fact, the only place I could get my standard size wrench on that lock nut properly is where it's positioned in my picture only leaving room to tighten, not loosen. There just simply isn't enough room between the fairing stay bars, and yes, I tried flipping my wrench :lol: I even tried sticking the wrench in the fairing stay and attacking the nut from the left or right, but once again was having clearance issues, so I'm just going to buy the proper tools necessary for the job. Should still be cheaper than 15 min of labor at my Honda dealer :lol:
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Wow what a pain in the butt! Reminds me of the time i changed my spark plug on my PCX... They position it so that it is angled directly at the frame and a standard spark plug socket+ratchet=can't get the socket on the plug... Horrible design. Had to get a universal joint to get the spark plug out. Just a heads up in case anyone runs into this. Reminds me of my Nissan Versa and its oil filter located above a lip on the oil pan so that oil gets everywhere...
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

I ran into that issue with my spark plug too. Luckily, the socket that I bought was squared off at the end (where the ratchet usually connects) so one is able to use a wrench at 90 degrees to the socket. That wasn't a feature I was looking for in a spark plug socket but I got lucky. :lol:

I think when this is all said and done, I'll take the relevant information and make this a how-to.
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Sounds great to me! And as far as the spark plug goes, I ended up using thishttp://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools ... 46742.html

With a coupon they were about $6, so not too bad imo.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Apologies for the egg sucking lesson re spanner :oops:
Guess when the job is done you won't be pulling as hard on that lever for a while...
Oops, I went and done it again
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Would something like this help?

You can slip it up to the nut from below. Don't know what side you would need though, these start at 10mm.

Here's the url of the item: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... wrench-set
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

^^ hey ed! Thats a pretty nifty tool. I'm sure something like that would have worked. Sadly I was in a bind and wanted to get this fixed right away, seeing that it was affecting my brake light operation, so I had to source tools locally. One auto parts, and three hardware stores later I finally found these. (should have just STARTED at Home Depot)

I really only needed a 12mm, but I'm sure having this little set will come in handy in many years down the road. Tools are investments, so I dont mind spending money on them. Picked up these 7 wrenches for $20 after tax. Pretty good deal seeing that honda will charge a minimum of one hour to touch my scooter, at $80-90 per hour. o_O

And gn2 - No worries on the lesson, sometimes my brain farts out and I need a simple pointer. Just like the time I was trying to chase an electrical starting problem for a couple hours when my fiancees dad came out to the garage and flipped the kill switch back to the "on" position... :roll:

And now that I have my stubby wrenches I can pull on that handle as hard as I want! I can fix it :lol:

Now im done, and took some other pictures, so Im going to make a how-to for anyone else who has this problem. With the proper tools, I was able to complete the job in 15 min start to finish.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

ese12105 wrote:Sounds great to me! And as far as the spark plug goes, I ended up using thishttp://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools ... 46742.html

With a coupon they were about $6, so not too bad imo.
these are pretty cool too... haven't really seen anything like it. This will be on a wish list for the fiancee... she never knows what to get me when I get a present. :lol: