Forza - 1000 mile update

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Forza - 1000 mile update

Post by V4 TRV »

Well it's been a very happy time so far with the Forza. I've just passed 1100 miles and overall things have been very positive. A wee summary:

Engine - surprisingly quick for a 300 and easily leaves cars away from the lights and happy to sit all day on the motorway at 70.
Handling - nimble and easy to trundle to the front of the traffic queue each time. Parking is a cinch on any footpath nearest my destination.
Mpg - avg is 73 so far which I'm happy with. Not as good as 112 on my previous PCX but the extra oomph is worth it.
Storage - with the addition of the Honda 45l top box and the undersea capacity I can do the run with ease
Wind protection - the Honda touring screen was a necessary update as the std one is a joke and I'm v happy with the level of protection it gives.
Reliability - it's a honda - next!
Braking - cbs and abs gives strong and sure footed feel and more than enough power.
Instrumentation - all you need inc clock and trip meters and a super accurate running mpg read out with corresponds exactly to what I work out at ea fill up. Just as well as the fuel guage is the only negative as it reads empty with a gallon still remaining (as per a car) so I'm getting 160 miles out of each tank.

Mods - I've added the screen,top box, mirror extenders,oxford grips,Toucano muffs and blanket and Durite LEDs. All worthy and effective additions which makes riding a real comfort. I also had the seat hump re profiled by a local upholsterer for £30 to give some more legroom so now I'm uber comfy and have plenty of space.

Overall - I'm thrilled with my choice. The 300 is for me a perfect blend of agility and economy and performance combined with a serious dose of comfort . As a middleweight it's not in the performance league of a silver wing or TMax but likewise it's not in their cost league either. For £4.5 k with a 2 year warranty and 8k service intervals I really can't find fault with it.

Trev
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (130.74 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Forza - 1000 mile update

Post by gn2 »

To get a handle on fuel range, multiply the mpg readout by two and a half...... (2.5 gallon tank)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

Yes I've done that and it works great. Gonna go for 170 miles and see if it can stretch it!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mine ran out at 195 once.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

Maybe ill aim for 180 then :lol:
garrup

Post by garrup »

Can anyone tell me the HP@rpm, Torque@rpm and red line
worldbfree

Post by worldbfree »

I like the touring windscreen!

does Honda make one like that for the PCX?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Mine ran out at 195 once.

Mph?
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

Im not sure if there is a European- USA conversion or something, but I was getting 68 mpg on my first trip home from the dealer (avg. 45 mph), then my first two weeks running with a fresh fill up and going 55- 60 mph, was getting avg 65 mpg. Now, closing in on 300 miles and Im getting 60 mpg...not sure what happened, but it has dropped and I am driving the same commute to work and the same average speeds, etc..
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

The u.k gallon( 4.5 litres ) is bigger then u.s gallon (3.78 litres ), I got up to 91 mpg (u.k gallon ) or 32.6 kilometres per litres driving for fuel economy ,very slow acceleration to 75 kph or 45 mph and maintaining that speed on the highway, check your tire pressures ,air filter if you have higher mileage , you can use premium fuel containing no ethanol, if there is ethanol in your fuel you will get slightly worst fuel economy. The other thing I noticed on the forza 300 is the speedo reads too high 6kph too high!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I've had 105mpg on an economy run.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Chicken,
At 300 miles, you really have nothing to worry about (yet). As you, I have my regular routes. The first 5 fill ups (leading up to the 600 mile service) I got as low as 48.4 and as high as 68.6 mpg. This is actual and not the econo meter. I was worried, as you, that something was amiss.
After break in service, the lowest I've had was 60.1 and that was a result of using the high octane rating. The rest of my fill ups (total of 24) have ranged from 61.4-74.9mpg actual.
I'm trying hard to match gn2 record, but I still have a few mpg's to go.
I've had 3 fill ups since gn2 made that high post and I still have my goal to match or better it!!!!!! The gloves are off.
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Y9JWhsg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It was only 20 miles on a pre-warmed engine, you'll need empty road and no stops.
I only used the brakes once in the 20 miles and that was when I parked at the end.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:It was only 20 miles on a pre-warmed engine, you'll need empty road and no stops.
I only used the brakes once in the 20 miles and that was when I parked at the end.

And then you caught your feet in the blankets and fell out of bed...
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

gn2 wrote:It was only 20 miles on a pre-warmed engine, you'll need empty road and no stops.
What speed were you going ,what was the temperature outside was it on flat roads,?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Temperature would have been around six, roads not flat and rpm around 5000.
The key element was the lack of wind.
A lighter weight rider on flat roads should be able to get higher.
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

5000 rpms only gets me about 45, maybe 50 mph...I ride faster on my commute- so I am 6000-6500 rpms...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I normally ride faster too, but this was an attempt to see how high I could get the economy meter up to.
The answer was off the clock on the mpg setting.
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

MrSuperchicken1 wrote:5000 rpms only gets me about 45, maybe 50 mph...I ride faster on my commute- so I am 6000-6500 rpms...
This is why your fuel consumption is more , more speed more wind resistance also in most cases the engine will get the maximum fuel economy according to the max torque output of the engine design ,this is were valve timing and valve lift ,intake and exhaust flow ,combustion and piston shape come in to design called volumetric efficiency of the engine , the other thing that race cars and the honda insight ( hight efficient hybrid car) does is index your spark plug ,you must have several plugs to do this ,the electrode of the plug must be positioned properly in the combustion chamber aiming the open part of electrode towards the middle of the two intake valves , this takes several plugs torque to correct specs ,you try different ones until it's in correct position ,most spark plugs when made start there threads in different position, once done you will optimize fuel economy and power and lower emissions ,when the spark plug is indexed properly it will burn the maximum amount of fuel in the combustion chamber ( more efficient) the forza 300 maximum torque of the engine is at 6000 rpm ,but at 6000rpm the bike trans gear ratio allows the bike speed to be around 60 mph or 100kph and at that speed the wind resistance is very high so fuel economy drops .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Forza 300 wrote:
MrSuperchicken1 wrote:5000 rpms only gets me about 45, maybe 50 mph...I ride faster on my commute- so I am 6000-6500 rpms...
This is why your fuel consumption is more , more speed more wind resistance also in most cases the engine will get the maximum fuel economy according to the max torque output of the engine design ,this is were valve timing and valve lift ,intake and exhaust flow ,combustion and piston shape come in to design called volumetric efficiency of the engine , the other thing that race cars and the honda insight ( hight efficient hybrid car) does is index your spark plug ,you must have several plugs to do this ,the electrode of the plug must be positioned properly in the combustion chamber aiming the open part of electrode towards the middle of the two intake valves , this takes several plugs torque to correct specs ,you try different ones until it's in correct position ,most spark plugs when made start there threads in different position, once done you will optimize fuel economy and power and lower emissions ,when the spark plug is indexed properly it will burn the maximum amount of fuel in the combustion chamber ( more efficient) the forza 300 maximum torque of the engine is at 6000 rpm ,but at 6000rpm the bike trans gear ratio allows the bike speed to be around 60 mph or 100kph and at that speed the wind resistance is very high so fuel economy drops .

Hokum