Need help to get my stolen PCX125 (UK) back on the road

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Ironmike78

Need help to get my stolen PCX125 (UK) back on the road

Post by Ironmike78 »

Hi all,

I got my PCX 125 stolen last week from outside my house, and they have made a real mess of it, though not thankfully as bad as I had feared. Anyway, I am after some advice as to whether or not I can repair this myself - I'm not bad with a wrench, but am by no means a seasoned scooter mechanic.

They basically seem to have smashed through the front right panel and then cut a couple of wires - presumably to hot wire it. They have furthermore smashed the seat hinge. As it is, the bike won't start. The ignition would appear to be largely untouched, although it is a bit mis-aligned.

I have attached photos via this link.

http://s502.photobucket.com/user/Ironmike78/library/

I would be grateful for any advice as to how hard a job this would be for a novice. Should I take it to a Honda dealer to sort out? Also, I am at a bit of a loss as to where to source the replacement panels. I have had a quick google, but does anyone know of anywhere I can get them? Preferably pre-painted in the 2013 white too (It's a 2013 PCX125). I'm in the UK if it makes a difference to suggestions.

Oh yeah, the final thing, it is currently stored at a friends garage. I will need to get it to the honda garage if I do decide to get them to do it. How do I hotwire my own scooter to get it running!? I am assuming the two wires I have in my hand are integral to the process, but I have no idea. It would appear the rest of the ignition is intact as per the other photo.

Thankyou to anyone in advance who can help me get my scooter back on the road.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Need help to get my stolen PCX125 (UK) back on the road

Post by Mgalutia88 »

To start with price parts from the dealer. Pull up a website with a factory parts diagram to get numbers for the dealer if needed. In the US it is cheaper to buy parts from the dealer than to ship them. Let along they are cheaper to begin with. FYI parts come from honda prepainted.

Second there is a esp wiring diagram floating around on this site. If you can't find it message maddiedog.

It's just screws and nuts and bolts. It's already broke, what's the worst that could happen? You can't fix it and send it to the dealer? Oh well. Give it a try.
Ironmike78

Post by Ironmike78 »

Thanks for the reply. I have found what I think is a honda parts catalogue on this site, but it is a bit unclear. I have mailed the Honda dealer near to me with the same info, so fingers crossed they can help. I am keen to try and do this myself if at all possible however because at £60 an hour labour, this will soon add up!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Pick yourself up a shop manual if possible. They are invaluable.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

First, welcome to the forums. Sorry it had to be under these circumstances.

My advice would be that if you have insurance, let them cover it. If not, the plastics shouldn't be too hard, but when it comes to the electrical, make sure you know what you are doing. Otherwise, even at 60 pounds and hour, I would pay the pros to do it.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In the UK involving your insurer can sometimes end up costing more than repairing the damage yourself.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:In the UK involving your insurer can sometimes end up costing more than repairing the damage yourself.
Just curious ... why is that?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Depends on the insurance excess. You have to pay the first £??? Depending on what you signed up for. The higher the excess, usually the cheaper the insurance.
The repair might be less than this.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Not only the excess, you can lose any accumulated no claims bonus, or if you don't have any NCB yet you can have your policy loaded next time round. And the next time and the next time etc....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

If repairing the damage yourself, from the pictures I'd guess you have no more than $125 in damage. Probably more in the range of $75 plus a few wiring connectors. Deductible on insurance would be what $500-$1000? Much cheaper to fix yourself as long as it's just some clipped wires and plastics.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Alibally wrote:Depends on the insurance excess. You have to pay the first £??? Depending on what you signed up for. The higher the excess, usually the cheaper the insurance.
The repair might be less than this.

I think my deductible is 100 or 200. Not bad if repair costs exceed that. I pay 40 a month for full coverage with progressive
ImageImage
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

UK scooter parts prices are not the same as they are in the US.
Over here the broken luggage box is $170.
eBay is the place to go for used bits ;)
Ironmike78

Post by Ironmike78 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been digging around today, and looks like the bits will be about 200 pounds, so 300 bucks or so to you Americans.

Don't know how insurance works in your country, but over here it is a bitch. I am paying a £750 excess on mine. The insurance company also said that they would need to get an individual engineer to verify any repair that is suggested and this will be an extra £250. So, my excess is basically a grand all in. Then, they will value it as a year old, so the scooter would have a value of about £16-1700? Take the excess and engineer cost off this and I might get £6-700 back on a £2500 bike. Oh yeah, and I lose my no claims bonus meaning that my premium goes up by what, £2-300 next year? I have two years of finance outstanding on the bike which adds up to about £1300. So, if the bike was written off or hadn't been found, I would have got back whatever it is, and then had to pay an extra £6-700 out of my own money just to clear the finance. I would then have no bike and be a lot poorer.

Basically insurance is an utter con in the UK. It is hardly every worth claiming on it for anything. Even if your vehicle is a total write off, it can often be cheaper to accept that than lose your no claims bonus for instance. There are things such as protected no claims, or gap insurance, but it all adds up. If it wasn't a legal requirement, I wouldn't bother.

Anyway, to the scooter. A friend of mine is an electrician and also does his own repairs on his bikes, so he is going to take a look at it. He reckons the first thing is to buy a new ignition thing which is £35. He will then wire that up and check that the scooter starts. He has a friend who got his bike stolen and the thieves put sand in the petrol tank just to really mess things up. He reckons then that if it starts and runs, we then order the panels. I am sourcing them in hope at the moment off e-bay. Hopefully the idiots who did this just had their fun and dumped the bike leaving only material damage as opposed to burning out the engine or doing something vindictive like the sand.

Will try and get some photos etc of the re-build up here if possible by means of paying your kindness back.

Wish me luck...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Sorry to hear this. Was the bike locked up (chains, brake lock, ?) - I was planning on a grip lock, disc lock and chain it to the cars tow bar! Almost woth having some kind of camera recording everything - might at least help catch em.
-Tom

Post by -Tom »

Maybe a little late, but if not there is a new ignition switch and lock set on ebay for £35 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-PCX-125 ... 1e88ba606e).

Looking at your pictures it looks like they just pulled off the plastic plug bit and sparked the two wires together? I would have though an electrician could fix this easily without having to replace the whole thing like your friend said?

By the way, I have no affiliation with the ebay seller so can't vouch for them.
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

Hi bud. Sorry to hear about the toe rags messing up your scooter. I would echo the sentiments of others. A bit of ebay research would probably yield you the parts you need for a decent price. I needed the bit of fairing which sits just above the headlight so emailed about 8-10 people selling bits on ebay. Sadly no one had the part I wanted to in the end I had to go with Powerbypcx.com and it cost me £25. Delivery took just over 2 weeks but that was expected coming from Thailand so not bad. My local dealers quoted me around 50 odd quid for the same part but you never know, you might get lucky. If you are about in London, a friend recommends Chasbikes as being a fairly decent outfit for repairs etc...

Hope things work out for you without having to break the bank....
2011 Honda PCX 125
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know if this will help but I found that bikebandit.com had very good prices or replacement parts. I had to replace multiple pieces and I found out through this forum that the 2011 PCX125 parts will fit my 2013 PCX150, and the parts for the PCX125 are a lot cheaper than those for the PCX150. I know that you may have to pay some kind of taxes for parts coming into the UK, but maybe not. It doesn't hurt to find out. I'm not even sure if they mail the parts, but once again, it doesn't hurt to find out. Here is the link. I hope it helps.http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... #sch691773
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mckrod
Year: 2011

Post by mckrod »

Hi IronMike

Had the same thing happen to me in Battersea (London) on Monday night. Police recovered it today. Seems to be pretty much identical damage to yours! The only one difference is that they pulled out the black and red wire from the white socket plug in your photo.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement white socket plug (not sure what it is called!) And what is its real name?
I inserted the two wires up to where the plug should go and I am able to start it. SO I am thinking If I can tape or solder the wires into a new white plug then I can temporarily get it up and running again.

IronMike- any tips on how I can do this cheaply? It cost me 700 pound last time this happened and I went through the Honda garage.

Appreciate any advice

Rod
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Did you guys have the bike locked/chained properly with good thick chains, or just parked up when they were stolen?
mckrod
Year: 2011

Post by mckrod »

Parked up- went into the pub to get a bite to eat. 45mins . Happened between 8.30pm and 9.15pm