Shut down while riding now won't accelerate.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Shut down while riding now won't accelerate.

Post by Mgalutia88 »

So I dropped off my PCX at my dealer this morning to let them figure this one out. Friday morning I started the bike and rode it up in front of the house to say goodbye to my wife and two boys as we were leaving for the day. When I went to start the bike again it wouldn't start for the first five times I tried. Then I cracked the throttle while I was cranking it and it fired up. I had no more problems the rest of the day. Yesterday morning I was riding over to my wife's grandparents to mount their new tv to the wall and the bike shut down while it was cruising at 70mph. I coasted to the shoulder and got it started again and a half mile later it shut down again. At this point I was seven miles from home and turned around at the next exit riding on the shoulder. I found that consistently I could not go over 47 mph without it shutting off. When it did this (not having an idle stop model) hit the big red kill switch and turned Off and back on and it would go for another :30 sec to a minute before it did it again. It never died at an idle though. So this morning before I took it to the dealer I tried to see what it was going to do when it was cold. This time it bogged at 47mph and would not accelerate past however did not shut off. So at this point I'm thinking either the computer needs reset by the factory tool using the USB port by the battery like another member from Greece had done after a long struggle, OR the fuel pump is not making full fuel pressure? It definitely does not have its normal power.

I put in the jumper for the FIcon2 yesterday after the issue started and it acted the same way. This morning I left the jumper in and noticed a severe lack in power. There was no new gas put in the tank since Friday afternoon so that is not part of the issue. I did install a new spark plug on Saturday however it is working great and I believe the problem started on Friday instead of with the new plug.

I will keep everyone up to date as I hear from the dealer on what's going on. I'm thankful that the guy who runs the service department is a fellow modder and agrees with the warranty department for my dealer in the fact is aftermarket parts that I install will not be replaced under warranty however unless something I installed caused a failure my warranty is intact. A direct explained example is replacing my fork springs means that the springs are not covered, however if the fork seals start to leak they are still covered.

This will be interesting...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Shut down while riding now won't accelerate.

Post by Mel46 »

Let us know what the dealer finds. The one thing that I wondered about was if the valves need adjusting.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The only factor that's changed is the plug, change it back and see if that fixes it. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

It starts and runs fine over 7000rpm accelerating to 47mph however it cuts out like its fuel. It just bogs. It doesn't misfire at all. It could be the plug but it's up to the dealer now. As for value adjustment, I did it just 1200 miles ago and no tapping. My money is on the fact that this will be electrical. I'm guessing a bad fuel pump.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mgalutia88 wrote:So I dropped off my PCX at my dealer this morning to let them figure this one out. Friday morning I started the bike and rode it up in front of the house to say goodbye to my wife and two boys as we were leaving for the day. When I went to start the bike again it wouldn't start for the first five times I tried. Then I cracked the throttle while I was cranking it and it fired up. I had no more problems the rest of the day. Yesterday morning I was riding over to my wife's grandparents to mount their new tv to the wall and the bike shut down while it was cruising at 70mph. I coasted to the shoulder and got it started again and a half mile later it shut down again. At this point I was seven miles from home and turned around at the next exit riding on the shoulder. I found that consistently I could not go over 47 mph without it shutting off. When it did this (not having an idle stop model) hit the big red kill switch and turned Off and back on and it would go for another :30 sec to a minute before it did it again. It never died at an idle though. So this morning before I took it to the dealer I tried to see what it was going to do when it was cold. This time it bogged at 47mph and would not accelerate past however did not shut off. So at this point I'm thinking either the computer needs reset by the factory tool using the USB port by the battery like another member from Greece had done after a long struggle, OR the fuel pump is not making full fuel pressure? It definitely does not have its normal power.

I put in the jumper for the FIcon2 yesterday after the issue started and it acted the same way. This morning I left the jumper in and noticed a severe lack in power. There was no new gas put in the tank since Friday afternoon so that is not part of the issue. I did install a new spark plug on Saturday however it is working great and I believe the problem started on Friday instead of with the new plug.

I will keep everyone up to date as I hear from the dealer on what's going on. I'm thankful that the guy who runs the service department is a fellow modder and agrees with the warranty department for my dealer in the fact is aftermarket parts that I install will not be replaced under warranty however unless something I installed caused a failure my warranty is intact. A direct explained example is replacing my fork springs means that the springs are not covered, however if the fork seals start to leak they are still covered.

This will be interesting...

Perhaps not fiddling with things is best?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Nah, I fiddle with everything!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

That'll be why its fucked.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:That'll be why its fucked.
Or it had something to do with the wife's grandparents TV fitting?

Or maybe not.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

We shall see... ;)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:That'll be why its fucked.
Another word of positive affirmation from GN2 ;) :D
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I know. I guess we should never be creative and mod our stuff. Someone sounds like the average apple fanboy
ImageImage
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

logepoge1 wrote:I know. I guess we should never be creative and mod our stuff. Someone sounds like the average apple fanboy
Apple?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Keeps the doctor away, or so I've heard.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I won't allow Apple products in my house.
Anyone visits with an iPhone I make them leave it in their car.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

gn2 wrote:I won't allow Apple products in my house.
Someone with sense. Thank you gentoo.
ImageImage
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Shut down while riding now won't accelerate

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Today the mega if working on my bike at the dealer called me and we decided that he would try repositioning the tps first, then reset the ECM with their factory scanner and see what happens. He was able to duplicate my issue exactly as described the day I dropped it off. He already spoke with their honda rep and this is a new issue for this rep to hear about. The rep kept saying hmm... Lol. The first thing the mechanic did was to measure fuel pressure (spec is 43 psi I'm at 45 psi) and to measure supply. Factory spec is to run the pump for ten seconds into a cup (minimum is 3.5 oz and I was a hair under 4 oz). He believes the bike feels like it's dropping fuel also. I could get another call tomorrow, if not I'll expect Tuesday.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I won't allow Apple products in my house.

And bark at the moon?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

What was wrong with the bike or do we not know yet?
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

so once i moved over to the ncy variator and ncy variator face i was able to reach speeds of 75. The warmer and drier the weather the better response i get out of the bike. After a good 25+ mile run started when going up hill it would be at WOT "Wide Open Throttle" and just slow down. I would let off the throttle and then proceed to give it gas and everything would be good. I still can't figure it out. Changed the oil out yesterday because it was a little low. I'm wondering if it was a soft seize? Im going to do a compression test after this beer and post. 8)

But then again it starts and runs around town just fine. So i'll check the plug color, and compression...

BTW Traders Joe got some decent craft brew on the cheap!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

So at this point my bike no longer starts... It turns over but doesn't start. The dealer is sending an ecu snapshot to honda at their request. I'm ready to be riding again