Woof! A warning!

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Woof! A warning!

Post by MichRocks »

:o I just ran across this post in another forum. It is a good advisory to all Forza owners!!!

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Forum/ ... f=6&t=2934

Turns out that I just bought a Battery Tender Jr, and it comes with a charging cable that can be permanently attached to the battery. I am going to create a power port that makes the battery voltage available from the outside to mitigate this discovery, if correct. If it IS correct, how do you 'jump start' the battery if it is dead, and you can't get at it?????

I hope this is not correct, but if it is...seems like a very poor design decision on Hondas part....

I will have to uncover the sleeping beast this weekend to test this discovery, and if correct, do surgery to correct the problem.
:(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Woof! A warning!

Post by gn2 »

Total BS.

Tis a manual bowden cable operated release same as the PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

Great! Thanks for the feedback. Will see if I can kill this post...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Of course, if the cable breaks the result is the same....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So, on the PCX we have to turn the key before we can push the seat release. This would even work without a battery?? I wonder why they set it up like that if the switch doesn't active some kind of relay.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Look at where the key slot is relative to the seat release button.
Why do you suppose they are beside each other...?
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

GN2-
That'll teach me to jump on some statement before I test it out for accuracy. :oops: As you said, it was BS. I put the Bat Tender Jr cables on (for charging purposes, that's all), and the seat opens just fine with it disconnected- as you said it would.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Hey Mich, now you know and won't panic. Several other skuders have a similar situation, that if you lock your key under the seat ...ooops.
But some get a small cable to attach and hang it under the box, then if the cable does break like GN2 suggests is remotely possible, you can still get inside.
If you remove the tool box at the rear of the underseat storage, you can rig up an emergency latch that isn't visible or noticeable.
Probably not necessary, but if you are one of those that thinks an oz of prevention......
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Y9JWhsg
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

willajabir wrote:Hey Mich, now you know and won't panic. Several other skuders have a similar situation, that if you lock your key under the seat ...ooops.
But some get a small cable to attach and hang it under the box, then if the cable does break like GN2 suggests is remotely possible, you can still get inside.
If you remove the tool box at the rear of the underseat storage, you can rig up an emergency latch that isn't visible or noticeable.
Probably not necessary, but if you are one of those that thinks an oz of prevention......
OMG !!!!

" Lock my Key under my seat " That is absolutely something that would happen to me if I were in a hurry and putting stuff in there !!! I never even considered this possibility until I read this, but its just like locking your keys in your car, who has never done that before ;)

Mike
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

For those who think they might lock their key under the seat at some point, consider attaching a spare somewhere, such as behind the license plate. There are two holes on the bottom of the license plate that are not used. Use a twist tie to attach the key to the back of it. Then get some duct tape and tape it to the back of the license plate. It should stay there forever, but just in case the tape lets go, the twist tie will hold it. Just look back there ever so often to make sure the key is not hanging down, which it shouldn't.
I attach a spare car key somewhere on my car for the same reason. As long as you don't make it obvious to others, you should feel safe from such things happening as leaving your keys in the car. Unfortunately, things like that do happen, so just be prepared.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Alternatively, do not take the key out the ignition till you walk away from the scooter.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

gn2 wrote:Alternatively, do not take the key out the ignition till you walk away from the scooter.
Shit happens and then us absent minded old farts have to deal with it.

One pretty lady walks by and I forget what I was doing. Yes, I have problems!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:One pretty lady walks by and I forget what I was doing. Yes, I have problems!
You let her walk by?
Didn't engage her in chat and get her phone number?
You're losing it right enough! :lol:
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

gn2 wrote:Alternatively, do not take the key out the ignition till you walk away from the scooter.
Hi GN2,

Then I would almost be assured of walking away from the scooter one day with the key still in the ignition :o Sometimes you just cant win :D

Mike
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

You guys should get the 2016 model coz it doesn't have any key at all. LOL
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:You guys should get the 2016 model coz it doesn't have any key at all. LOL
Not quite enough incentive, then there's the whole wash and dry in the pant pocket thing. Now when ABS comes to PCX that could send a lot of bikes to the trader.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

homie wrote:
alx123 wrote:You guys should get the 2016 model coz it doesn't have any key at all. LOL
Not quite enough incentive, then there's the whole wash and dry in the pant pocket thing. Now when ABS comes to PCX that could send a lot of bikes to the trader.
Instant win for Honda though - many poeple will trade up for ABS!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:
Shit happens and then us absent minded old farts have to deal with it.

One pretty lady walks by and I forget what I was doing. Yes, I have problems!

Is it the salmon sex fixation?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

[quote=.One pretty lady walks by and I forget what I was doing. Yes, I have problems![/quote]

I have the "dog chasing a car" syndrome. Not sure what to do if I catch one. :D :D
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

homie wrote:
A combination of fatigue and middle-aged brain lead to the following:

I got home in the early evening. I put a key into the door and turned it, but the door wouldn't open. I tried this several times before I realized that I was turning the key in the direction to lock the door, not the direction to unlock it. I turned the key the other direction, opened the door, and stepped inside.

Next, I went to hang the keys on their usual hook. I looked at the key ring and thought "where's the bike key?" I looked outside and saw that the bike was still on. I went out, turned off the bike, pulled out the key, came back in, and realized how much my once-powerful brain is failing me.

Getting older is crap.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015; still only 18K on the odo
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring