PCX150 service schedule and brakes?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

PCX150 service schedule and brakes?

Post by dustin91 »

Hey all, I'm getting my PCX150 later this week, and just wanted to know opinions on the feel of the CBS braking system. Thoughts?

Also, although I'm sure the dealer will tell me as well, but what's the basic maintenance schedule you guys have seen required?

Thanks!

- Dustin
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: PCX150 service schedule and brakes?

Post by maddiedog »

The CBS is good for new riders, but if you're used to riding with a separate rear brake, it can get annoying. Regardless, it's very simple. I generally brake using the CBS, with the rear brake set a bit tighter than the stock adjustment, and use the front brake lever only in emergency stops. It's a good strategy -- you'll be used to the long distance to stop with the CBS, so when you have to stop quick, you'll be surprised how fast you can actually stop! Keep in mind, the PCX doesn't have ABS, so you have to be careful not to lock up the tires.

Maintenance schedule here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Excellent! Thanks for the advice Maddie. My only experience on a bike so far was a 1998 Honda Rebel used in my motorcycle safety class. After 12 hours of riding there, my only brake knowledge is right hand and right foot. Should be an easy switch to the CBS with your advice, especially since I had a novice's tendency to roll the throttle when braking. On the scoot, that shouldn't be much of an issue if I'm using the left brake more often. And thanks for the manual link!

BTW, your dog is adorable! Had my wife looking at a few of the pics you posted when I was reading the forums over the weekend.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Hah, thanks. She's a good girl. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

The CBS braking is super. I use both levers at stops for optimum stopping power. They work so well that when my wife and I took our scoots to the MSF course a few years ago, when it came to the "quick stop" portion of the course, we would stop so suddenly in an unbelievable small amount of space that the instructor accused us of stopping before he gave the signal. We told him the brakes were just that good, he tried it and was convinced that they were. We were on a Honda Elite 110 & a Honda SH150i, both with CBS braking systems.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have taught my wife to use both brakes at the same time, and I was taught the same thing. Yes, the scooter stops quickly, and we both love that about it. But that does not preclude using common safety practices. I have seen too many safety shortcuts come back to bite people. Learn to use the brakes together and you will never be surprised if you use someone else's scooter that does not have CBS.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

CBS is good overall, I originally thought about removing it, but after riding it for a bit I realized it gave the weak rear drum brake much more stopping power.
I did however loosen the CBS 2 turns, so I would say my front is about 15% and rear is about 85% vs. the stock 30%-70% CBS power.
If I find a good rear disc set up, I would consider removing the CBS though.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Awesome - thanks for all the tips! Counting down the days to actually GET my scoot!
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

CBS is a System I'm pretty fond of, and have gotten used to using it over the years. Like maddiedog, I've always preferred separate brakes on the front and rear, but that being said, because of the Automatic Type Trans Unit, and Scooters having a much higher rear weight balance than Motorcycles, the System is really suited well to Scooter Useage.....Honda did Good..... ;) 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

hmm, i didn't think i would be alone in saying i think CBS is dangerous and i don't like it one bit. When you lock up the rear tire the bike has a severe tendency to drift sideways due to the CBS front brake being applied simultaneously. This effect is especially dangerous when on gravel or wet roads which just makes a bad situation even worse.

The owner's manual says service every 2500 miles; however, every 5000 is more than adequate. Also the service is pretty easy and can be done yourself if so inclined. Just get the service manual and save some big $$$!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Don't lock up the rear brake then.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cessna151 wrote:hmm, i didn't think i would be alone in saying i think CBS is dangerous and i don't like it one bit. When you lock up the rear tire the bike has a severe tendency to drift sideways due to the CBS front brake being applied simultaneously. This effect is especially dangerous when on gravel or wet roads which just makes a bad situation even worse.

The owner's manual says service every 2500 miles; however, every 5000 is more than adequate. Also the service is pretty easy and can be done yourself if so inclined. Just get the service manual and save some big $$$!
Why would applying the front when the rear is locked cause the bike to drift sideways?

I've tried locking the rear to push the back out when coming to a stop. Just for a laugh. It's not too keen. Rear brake is a bit weedy and there is too much weight over the rear. Can't imagine anything severe/dangerous
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Use both hand brakes at the same time, like taught in the MSF class & you'll have no problems.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

cessna151 wrote:hmm, i didn't think i would be alone in saying i think CBS is dangerous and i don't like it one bit. When you lock up the rear tire the bike has a severe tendency to drift sideways due to the CBS front brake being applied simultaneously. This effect is especially dangerous when on gravel or wet roads which just makes a bad situation even worse.
I think CBS is okay on dry roads, but like you said, offroads and gravel it can get hairy. I intentionally will lock the rear offroads or on gravel, and cannot do that with the CBS on the PCX, even though I take my PCX off-road on occasion.

Alibally wrote:Don't lock up the rear brake then.
This is easier said than done without ABS. :lol:

you you wrote:Why would applying the front when the rear is locked cause the bike to drift sideways?

I've tried locking the rear to push the back out when coming to a stop. Just for a laugh. It's not too keen. Rear brake is a bit weedy and there is too much weight over the rear. Can't imagine anything severe/dangerous
It's physics, the back tries to pass the front end if it gets locked and you're getting non-locked deceleration at the front. A locked tire is less effective braking than one that is rolling (hence the implementation of ABS on most cars and bikes). The locked rear is less effective than the non-locked front, and the rear locks easier than the front due to the lack of weight. This shouldn't happen if your CBS is properly adjusted (like from the factory). With the factory settings, it's basically impossible to lock the rear.

Because I take the PCX offroads and am used to bikes without CBS, I have my adjuster set so that I have WAY more action on the rear end than stock. As a result, I can lock the rear, and cause that sideways action. It's easy to control though... It's not really dangerous, and is actually a great way to whip a dirt bike around on singletrack trail. ;) The PCX is no dirt bike though. There is basically no reason to adjust the bike so you can lock the rear unless you want to take it offroads. I ride enough gravel roads that I keep it adjusted that way.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
I think CBS is okay on dry roads, but like you said, offroads and gravel it can get hairy. I intentionally will lock the rear offroads or on gravel, and cannot do that with the CBS on the PCX, even though I take my PCX off-road on occasion.

Alibally wrote:Don't lock up the rear brake then.
This is easier said than done without ABS. :lol:

you you wrote:Why would applying the front when the rear is locked cause the bike to drift sideways?

It's physics, the back tries to pass the front end if it gets locked and you're getting non-locked deceleration at the front. A locked tire is less effective braking than one that is rolling (hence the implementation of ABS on most cars and bikes). The locked rear is less effective than the non-locked front, and the rear locks easier than the front due to the lack of weight. This shouldn't happen if your CBS is properly adjusted (like from the factory). With the factory settings, it's basically impossible to lock the rear.

Because I take the PCX offroads and am used to bikes without CBS, I have my adjuster set so that I have WAY more action on the rear end than stock. As a result, I can lock the rear, and cause that sideways action. It's easy to control though... It's not really dangerous, and is actually a great way to whip a dirt bike around on singletrack trail. ;) The PCX is no dirt bike though. There is basically no reason to adjust the bike so you can lock the rear unless you want to take it offroads. I ride enough gravel roads that I keep it adjusted that way.
Sorry maddie but if you lock the rear end it'll just slide to a stop. Physics means the point of retardation is behind the centre of gravity so it is self stabilising like a dart it might fishtail a bit

Locking the rear wheel and pushing the bike sideways for a fun skid is different and fun tbh but let's not get mixed up or lose track, or feed the dramatic op