Wind damage

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Wind damage

Post by Taz »

The scooter next to me blew over in yesterdays 60mph winds and damaged my PCX. Only damage is to my front left panel thats a big funny shape. Does anyone know if I can replace that panel without taking other panels off or have any other tips on the panel removing sequence for that one? Im getting a new panel via my dealer. Sorry about grainy photo but can no longer find 'Share' option in my flickr.
Attachments
IMG_0786old.JPG
IMG_0786old.JPG (398.43 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Wind damage

Post by maddiedog »

Whoa, gnarly. I've never seen a hole like that in a fairing, it must have gotten hit HARD!

Unfortunately, that panel is a pain in the ass to get to. To get to the rear mounts, you have to disassemble the rear of the bike. To get to the top mounts, you have to disassemble the front of the bike. You're basically going to have to completely disassemble the entire bodywork. Do you have a service manual?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think I would cheat and do a temporary fix on the hole until time for dealer servicing and let them put the new one one while doing the servicing. (White duct tape works wonders:-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Enlarge the hole, stick some edge trim on it,
Hey presto: additional storage cubbyhole :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Wind damage

Post by Alibally »

Or a nice cup holder. Seriously, epoxy resin a piece of plastic on the back and use a filler to build up the hole. Then a coat of paint, hey presto fixed.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Already white duct taped over and new part ordered from dealer. I may do an insurance claim off the bike that toppled into me. It was an old Scarabeo 200 and its handle bar end (solid steel protruding 1.5 inch out from his twist grip) is what punched the hole. I have a feeling its not registered/insured though and I put a note on it asking them to contact me but they havent :(

Coffee holder is not a bad suggestion as there is nice engine heat in there!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

OUCH! That's some crater ya got there! 60mph winds o_O was that constant? or just a flyby swoosh? Was your scoot on centerstand? Maybe you'll get lucky Taz and the owner will have insurance & call.

Oh and to keep with the program........."hey presto," duct taped :D in White!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Big Bummer! :cry: we call 60 mph winds a Hurricane here in Pa. You're braver than I am, riding in that kind of wind. Hope the repair does no run you too much $$. ScooterKim
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

The gusts that day were 70mph. Its a windy time of year and we had 60 last night too. I've got a sailboat in the local marina and get more worried about the boat but its on the way to work so stop and check it out after the wind. Riding with the wind in front is worse. When its behind you its lovely and quiet.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Tailwind is nice on the PCX, its amazing how much the throttle can be backed off and still hold 55mph.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

aye captain, especially when you have a tall windscreen like my ermax as a sail!

I'll probaly take the opportunity to check my valve clearance since it seems I need to remove a lot of panels.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I finally heard back from the guy who's scooter blew into me and we will sort it out f2f over a coffee. Easier than doing through insurance.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Taz wrote:I finally heard back from the guy who's scooter blew into me and we will sort it out f2f over a coffee. Easier than doing through insurance.
Glad to hear that. Nice to know that there are still some honest people out there :D ... either that or he figured you had written down his license plate number and might be able to track him down anyway :?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

YEY! VooDoo worked :lol: Cheers to meeting of the minds and a speedy repair!
a wee thought: STOP! you could actually fill with soil & grow something out of there 8)
(be good WN, be good).
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I got the money from the scooter that blew into mine and my dealer has the replacement panel in and will replace it next week. All sorted over a coffee and the Scarabeo owner was very nice about it. I'm now trying to get him to join our local scooter club.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Good for you, Taz! Glad things worked out.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Well, you could not have asked for a better outcome, Taz. I can only imagine how unhappy you must have been to see your innocent baby harpooned by a beater.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

Good news Taz. Post a pic when your scoot is better.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Bike is now back to 'as new' condition. I'm sure the engine noise is quieter now that I don't have a hole in the panel!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good as New, you say? Pictures please....this IS the "gallery" :lol: Now back to..."on the road again"
Happy 4 ya!!