2015 PCX No Spark

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

DaveMudance
Year: 2015
Color: Black

2015 PCX No Spark

Post by DaveMudance »

Hey, I new to these forums and I am hoping you guys will be able to help me out.

I brought a 2015 Black PCX 125 from a friend who had stripped it down and left it in the back garden for 6 months.

Got the thing back on Friday and proceeded to put her together, aside from pretty much all of the fairing clips being snapped everything seemed well.

No battery came with the bike so I purchased a new one, fitted it and, she fired up. So I went for a short ride (around 10 miles) and had no issues. I pulled up at some traffic lights on the way home and thought I would try the start stop, flicked the switch, and she would not start back up. Had to push her home in the dark :(

SO this morning I checked fuel (all good as I drained the old stuff and put fresh in before my test ride) , and then checked for spark by removing the spark plug and checking whilst turning over holding to the head............nothing. So I checked the voltage to the coil when turning over and the max I got was 1v............ I think this is incorrect.

I also checked the wiring to the *ECU* and checked again, the same result.......

Could anyone help please, I have no manual and I'm now out of ideas

Thanks in advance

Dave
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2015 PCX No Spark

Post by Old Grinner »

Not sure if this will help or not but starting problems have been discussed here before. My instincts make me think it's either the switch (because the problem started immediately after you move that) or perhaps the kickstand is not fully retracted. Good luck!

Let us know what you find out and I'm sure others will chime in here as well. Since I live in the U.S. my 2017 didn't have "idle stop" so I have no personal experience with that. Just had the regular red start/stop switch as shown in the pic. But here's a link to another discussion here about a problem similar to yours . . .. :geek:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7452
100_4821a.jpg
DaveMudance

Post by DaveMudance »

Thank you for your reply and thoughts.

I have been going though old posts for the last couple of hours attempting to find information, alass no-one seems to have encountered my issue.

I have checked the switch and there is no short and is functioning normally ( I get the light on the dash when Idle Stop is selected), I think that it may just be a coincidence that it happened as the same time.

The fuel pump activates when turning on the ignition and I get the EML come on shortly as the speedo needle does its start up sweep and then EML goes out.

I'm just not getting a spark at all.........

If anyone has there PCX apart at the moment, could you check the voltage to the coil when turning over (the two wires connected to the coil), also if anyone has the resistances for the primary and secondary winding that would be super useful.

Find it odd that I only get 1 Volt for the two wires to the coil.

Thanks in advance

***ignore below, just brain farting***

(((Me thinks I may just strip the thing down for the winter and rebuild the whole thing, including making a new loom and 150cc big bore)))
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Hopefully you have a service manual. It isn't an easy job trying to troubleshoot electrical problems and it gets worse when it is also involving fuel and ignition systems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Most obvious solutions are to:

Check the kill switch
Check the side stand switch

G'Luck!
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Primary voltage while cranking is 2-4 volts. I had a very similar problem a few years ago, stopped at traffic lights and then wouldn't start. The battery terminals had become lose. Even though it's a new battery have you checked the voltage?
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

LED idle-stop versions of the PCX have a check-point of battery volts and idle-stop is disabled if the battery fails against the ECU test markers - it is not a straight graph and has steps (it was in a service manual amendment I saw).
That said, with it off and the battery holding a good voltage and current it should start - is there any alarm of other thing fitted that may be draining the volts? (as no battery was fitted when you got it, perhaps the previous owner had similar issues).
DaveMudance

Post by DaveMudance »

Hey guys, so yeah I have had another look and I have found water in the wiring loom from the thing being stored outside without fairings on and uncovered.

So I had an issue with one of the rear indicators being constantly “lit” with a slight glow, even with ignition off. So I checked the LED controller and there was water dripping out the loom.

With a few good flicks, more water came out. I then dried the controller in my house overnight, then the next day, plugged it back in and the led issue was sorted.

I now believe that the reason I do not have a spark is because of the “watery loom” feature, I mean issue. I’m going to buy a second hand one, a new spark plug....... a service manual ;) ;) ;) so I can show how to check the primary, and secondary of the ignition coil and the values, and then decide if I need a new ECM or whatever it’s called......

I enjoyed my ride though and I’m sure the engine is fine. I’ll throw some pics up soon just to be that guy......

Oh an I forgot to mention, I read the owners manual and it states that the start stop will not work unless the bike is warmed up and has done over 10 mph, I noticed on my ride that the speedo was not working, I think this may also have something to do with the no spark issue........

Dave
DaveMudance

Post by DaveMudance »

Hey guys,

Alot has happened in the past couple of weeks.

SO I purchased a DLC reset plug off eBay (https://tinyurl.com/ualjguo) ----FYI just get the plug version (search for it "DLC PCX/HONDA") and solder your own switch on (saving £10)

And I recorded the ECM codes (with my phone) and the reset the codes by following the procedure described in the service manual (the service manual was found by doing a search on a well known search engine :ugeek: ) ---Still no spark

Dried the wiring loom out and put it back on. ---Still no spark

Replaced the spark plug (the old one was that worn that the electrode was "rounded"). ---Still no spark

Did a trick with the old ignition coil by wrapping a 1mm wire around the HT lead up toward the plug cap (https://tinyurl.com/upczzmp), where it was not connected to anything and grounded the other side....... ---GOT A SPARK. Albeit a weak one, but this show that the ECM is not completely screwed.

Purchased a replacement ignition coil (https://tinyurl.com/qt7gcyr) ((Before you say anything I know its off the CBF the resistances are the same))

The spark plug being rounded to the extent that it was, leads me to believe that it had never been changed from new, this excessive wear would force the ignition coil to deliver higher current, potentially wearing out the coil.

Currently awaiting delivery of the ignition coil, once received I will of course update you!!!!

Peace
DaveMudance

Post by DaveMudance »

Got the ignition coil, fitted it, and now shes running like nothing happened!!!!

Happy days....

Hopefully this information will help someone else diagnose there issue in future.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Great! Glad to hear that it is running again. Since the spark plug may have caused all of this, it might be a good idea to check everything else that should have been replaced routinely...air filter, belt, rollers, oil, etc. If it had been left out in the elements then I am not too sure that the previous owner really cared enough to do routine maintenance.

It is my understanding that weather over there can do a number on scooters as it is, so I am glad it is back on the road. Use the winter to replace anything that you suspect might not have been taken care of previously. It could save you headaches down the road.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers