Biggest Tire.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Biggest Tire.

Post by dasshreddar »

homie wrote:
GlassMan wrote:Thanks Homie,thinking of going the same route. Love the look! Comparison pic is awsome.
The narrow rims on the PCX will pull the HUGE appearance of an un-mounted tire in considerably. I've dropped back tire pressure for front and rear about 4-psi each recently from the suggested and found a more comfortable ride for my weight and cargo. Remember you will sacrifice 4 mph top end and your speedometer will be off 2 mph to a GPS if you use that size Michelin tire one your PCX.
When the 140 tire is mounted on the pcx it will look more like the 120 in the pic... 8)

:? :| How will it sacrifice your top end??? "more distance per revolution" You will gain top end(at least down hill until rev limit kicks in) with a taller tire period.(real speed GPS(not speedo))
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Did that ncy kit come with rollers included? I haven't seen it as a fully inclusive kit,
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

dasshreddar wrote: :? :| How will it sacrifice your top end??? "more distance per revolution" You will gain top end(at least down hill until rev limit kicks in) with a taller tire period.(real speed GPS(not speedo))
Dass we documented this at the time I put on large tires on in a controlled downhill stretch with stock tires, then oversized tires, then 12g rollers... and finally 13g rollers.

I don't pretend to know or understand the physics and theories but I do understand the actual results of the carefully executed events of last falls modifications. They are as follows on the 2015 Honda PCX;

1. Stock 2015 PCX benchmarked on a select section of highway grade resulted in 64-65 mph before limiter.
2. Michelin 120 front and 140 rear tires were installed and benchmark test run on the same grade resulted in 4-5 mph loss in top speed using a GPS.
3. NCY pulley and drive face was installed...
> 12g rollers first with un-impressive results on the same downhill bench run. Noticeable acceleration loss as well.
> 13g rollers were installed with the NCY pulley and drive face and the (2015 PCX) rocketed off the block with very impressive acceleration and when benched on the same grade achieved 69 mph top speed.

These are real world results you can take to the bank, been there, done that... no speculation. Others with NCY pulley/13g rollers on stock IRC tires have topped out even faster and can leave me in the dust.

Conclusion; big tires equal slower PCX but you can recover nicely with NCY kits and that's why I claim 4-5 mph faster than stock after all is said and done. The loss in mpg is a different story and I still don't have those numbers but will give that soon if it will stop SNOWING!
Attachments
question.jpg
question.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Did that ncy kit come with rollers included? I haven't seen it as a fully inclusive kit,
Mel... buddy good to see you are still kicking. I just had a heart attack on the table resulting in 2 more stents a couple weeks ago and I'm feeling like someone put a four barrel carburetor on my small block Chevy. You slow azz PCX's better hit the ditch when you see me coming in the rear view... WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! it's good to be alive!!!!!! Never bitch about it, no one knows, no one cares... just be glad you live to ride another summer.

Melster here is your link to 13 gram rollers http://www.amazon.com/NCY-Weights-varia ... cx+13+gram
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoa homie :| I didn't know. Real glad you're still with us on planet PCX :P You take Care now!!
Ride smile love and be happy
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Wow and you look like a young healthy guy in your videos. o_O Take good care of yourself.

On the NCY I see a real world gain of about 6 mph but I was at 68 before with a 2013 PCX. I really like the faster acceleration at lower speeds but it has to be burning a bit more gas except when i am cruising at higher speeds. I wonder about additional belt wear as well. So I like it but wonder what price I might pay later on. :oops:
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Whoa homie :| I didn't know. Real glad you're still with us on planet PCX :P You take Care now!!
It's all good WN, I inherited coronary artery disease and it was my best argument EVER to go out in Chicago traffic on a SCOOTER!. I get to do a lot of things these days that I shouldn't :lol: anything but cancer works for me. I think Jesus wants to talk to me about something anyway... not really looking forward to THAT!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Whoa homie :| I didn't know. Real glad you're still with us on planet PCX :P You take Care now!!
It's all good WN, I inherited coronary artery disease and it was my best argument EVER to go out in Chicago traffic on a SCOOTER!. I get to do a lot of things these days that I shouldn't :lol: anything but cancer works for me. I think Jesus wants to talk to me about something anyway... not really looking forward to THAT!

You've heard the saying.."I want to live forever, so far so good"
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:

You've heard the saying.."I want to live forever, so far so good"
"I intend to live forever, so far so good" but I never got it :D rather "do you want to live forever?" is more common, I do get that one.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@homie - Glad you're OK. Ride it like you stole it! Do what you are still able to do. One day we'll wake up and realize there is no more time to do the things we wanted to.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Steph wrote:@homie - Glad you're OK. Ride it like you stole it! Do what you are still able to do. One day we'll wake up and realize there is no more time to do the things we wanted to.
Ah, but you have to be careful about rolling that particular dice.

Mount Tantalus here is a road up a mountain that quite literally runs through a forest. While the view and scenery is breathtaking, it's a crappy road that's crowned(middle is higher than the sides) even on turns, is incredibly narrow, and the sides can be covered with moss. It's also where I broke my leg o_O .

While I would love to have another shot at it, especially with some 1080 GoPro footage, I figure that particular adventure is going to have to wait until I finish my degree, get a good-paying job, and manage to squirrel away enough money to cover any damages to my PCX and gear, and any hospital bills, should I have another rough off there.

Btw Steph, now that you're lurking in the Performance section, I don't suppose you'll be modding your PCX any time soon :D ?
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by GlassMan »

Hey Homie, Glad ur feelin better ! BY the by, what did you have to do to fit that 140 on the rear?
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@Valiant - No mods for me. Just got a new bike and that will keep me busy for awhile.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie wrote:
homie, Thee should remember Jesus is patient. No need to take an Express Ride. Be well special man, ride safely :)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Let us not break forum Religion Laws. Children (>me<) behave. I promise I will. I'm done, I am.
Wait! A fabulous song...."Jesus is Just Alright"
.......Okay, now I'm done ;) Done!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Let us not break forum Religion Laws. Children (>me<) behave. I promise I will. I'm done, I am.
Wait! A fabulous song...."Jesus is Just Alright"
.......Okay, now I'm done ;) Done!

I heard a story and it reminded me of you. Don't know why, don't take it the wrong way.

Anyhow.. Daughter asks her mother where everyone comes from

Mother explains about Adam and Eve and the Garden of Creation, spare rib etc., and weaves a lovely story.

Next day at breakfast time the daughter tells her mother that she has asked her dad the same story. He explained that we all came from apes and its a simple matter of evolution.

Mother says "I've explained my side of the family, your dad his...."
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Enjoyed the passed on story.
Oddly that sounds about right :P
Dave Bo
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by Dave Bo »

Happy Spring Everyone!!! Well, after reading all of the posts by Homie and various other folks, I decided to take the plunge and install the large Michelin Tires. Took my first ride on them last night. The bike definitely has a different feel to it... I made sure I moved the rear plastic fender up and out of the way to make room for the big 140/70. Plenty of clearance back there. I am a little concerned about the front tire. It is true, that the 120/70 tire clears the front fender, but man, is it close! I think I have about 1/8" between the rubber and the plastic (LOL). I have a couple of questions for Homie or anyone else who has done this modification...

- What pressure do you have your new tires set at? The tire itself says 41 PSI max. I'm currently running at about 28 PSI front and 26 PSI rear.

- What is the proper torque setting on the front and rear wheel bolts? Having done the tire swap myself, I want to make sure the wheels are tightened to the correct ft/lbs...

- Finally, what kind of acceleration improvement can I expect by just installing 13 gram rollers vs. installing them along with a NYC kit?
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Has anyone tried the michelin pilot sport radial 120/70 radial
listed as a front tire but as I understand to mount on rear just change the rotation arrow
mounted front and back would give the rider all the benefits of radial design without
screwing rotational dimensions
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Dave Bo ,
I'm running my 120 at 28-30psi and the 140 at 32-34psi.
yes the front fender is super close... I've had to pull over a couple of times with a twig stuck in there :|
but I heated up the rear of the front fender with a torch and bent it up about a 1/2 inch... and have had no problems since.
front axle nut torque is 44ft lbs.